1 Corinthians "Long hair on male is shameful" but Jesus had long hair???

Senod2

Feb 22, 2016
Norway
✟746.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I plan to have this type of wavy blue anime hair. Because its great!. Although not coloring, you can imagine the more 17th or 18th century long wavy hair too.

But i am just wondering, is it possible that it means in Church monastary like monks, priests and stuff and not everyday person?. Just curious?

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It was part of being set apart as in the Nazarite vow for men or women (Num 6, Acts 18:18) or part of a cross to bear Luke 9:23).

However, Jesus was not a Nazarite. We have no evidence whatsoever concerning the hair length of Jesus Christ. What we have are artists' depictions, hased on their cultural references, made centuries after Christ. We can only speculate on the matter. Based on scripture, it is highly doubtful that Jesus Christ actually had long hair.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I thought Paul was just talking against men covering their heads, as he says women's hair being long is for covering their heads.

Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

I'm more curious as to why Paul think that men shouldn't cover their heads. Was there a cult or specific deity people worshiped in Corinth that required men to cover their heads maybe? I might be overthinking the issue.

Upvote 0

Senod2

Feb 22, 2016
Norway
✟746.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I thought Paul was just talking against men covering their heads, as he says women's hair being long is for covering their heads.

I'm more curious as to why Paul think that men shouldn't cover their heads. Was there a cult or specific deity people worshiped in Corinth that required men to cover their heads maybe? I might be overthinking the issue.
Maybe thats where the tradition is for men to take off their hat when they go inside a house. In typical movies as a polite form when visiting people. But i am sure there is a logical explanation. I mean women did have head scarf or something in the past, as early as 20th century, but that has changed with modernism etc.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I plan to have this type of wavy blue anime hair. Because its great!. Although not coloring, you can imagine the more 17th or 18th century long wavy hair too.

But i am just wondering, is it possible that it means in Church monastary like monks, priests and stuff and not everyday person?. Just curious?

Jesus was not a white European with long hair and a manicured beard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My opinion is that it has to do with following the Lords voice, perhaps. We see in revelation that the bottomless pit (a harlot is a deep pit in proverbs) is opened and the smoke causes the light to be blotted out (spiritual blindness IMO) and that it was a plague that God put on man because he wouldn't repent of his idolatry (love for money and politics).

We see in proverbs that those who linger long at the wine have contentions, and this refers to political and religious division, in my opinion. THe lions teeth are people who seek division rather than love and they devour each other because they love the world and their own denomination rather than the pure unpolluted truth. THis includes those who think like they love others, but have no understanding of what it really means..

Love isnt just a feeling, but its about giving up our lives on earth for our brethren. ITs about giving up our politics, materialism, and religious divisions which are the result of this blindness that plagues mankind.

Revelation 9:2 And he opened the bottomless pit, and smoke arose out of the pit like the smoke of a great furnace. So the sun and the air were darkened because of the smoke of the pit.

8 They had hair like women’s hair, and their teeth were like lions’ teeth. 9 And they had breastplates like breastplates of iron, and the sound of their wings was like the sound of chariots with many horses running into battle. 10 They had tails like scorpions, and there were stings in their tails.

20 But the rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands, that they should not worship demons, and idols of gold, silver, brass, stone, and wood, which can neither see nor hear nor walk. 21 And they did not repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts.

Matthew 6:19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

The Lamp of the Body
22 “The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness! ..............(spiritual blindness)

Proverbs 23 Do not overwork to be rich;
Because of your own understanding, cease! .............(spiritual blindness)
5 Will you set your eyes on that which is not?
For riches certainly make themselves wings;
They fly away like an eagle toward heaven.

Hear, my son, and be wise;
And guide your heart in the way.
20 Do not mix with winebibbers, ........(refers to those who are blinded by love for the world)
Or with gluttonous eaters of meat;
21 For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, .......(spiritual blindness)
And drowsiness will clothe a man with rags.

23 Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
24 The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice,
And he who begets a wise child will delight in him.
25 Let your father and your mother be glad,
And let her who bore you rejoice.
26 My son, give me your heart,
And let your eyes observe my ways.
27 For a harlot is a deep pit, ........................ (harlot of Babylon)
And a seductress is a narrow well.
28 She also lies in wait as for a victim,
And increases the unfaithful among men.
29 Who has woe?
Who has sorrow?
Who has contentions?
Who has complaints? ...................(religious and political divisions)
Who has wounds without cause?
Who has redness of eyes?
30 Those who linger long at the wine, .......(spiritual blind lovers of the world)
Those who go in search of mixed wine.
31 Do not look on the wine when it is red,
When it sparkles in the cup,
When it swirls around smoothly;
32 At the last it bites like a serpent,
And stings like a viper................ (just like the tails of the locusts from the bottomless bit)
33 Your eyes will see strange things,
And your heart will utter perverse things.
34 Yes, you will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea,
Or like one who lies at the top of the mast, saying:
35 “They have struck me, but I was not hurt;
They have beaten me, but I did not feel it.
When shall I awake, that I may seek another drink?” ...........(spiritual blind)

Isaiah 29:9 Pause and wonder!
Blind yourselves and be blind!
They are drunk, but not with wine;
They stagger, but not with intoxicating drink.
10 For the Lord has poured out on you
The spirit of deep sleep,
And has closed your eyes, namely, the prophets;
And He has covered your heads, namely, the seers

14 And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says:

‘Hearing you will hear and shall not understand,
And seeing you will see and not perceive;
15 For the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should[a] heal them.’
16 But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear; 17 for assuredly, I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

18 “Therefore hear the parable of the sower:

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will[a] abide in Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Senod2

Feb 22, 2016
Norway
✟746.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was not a white European with long hair and a manicured beard.
It depends how you look at it. In book of revelation he is depicted as having hair white as wool. Whether one thinks it is symbolic or real depends, which may explain why some have portrayed Jesus as blonde, even though geographically that makes zero sense. He probably would look like this. Caucasian race was dominated by these areas back then. But i really dont think it matters if he was pink or green to be honest :)
Also the clothing is not unrealistic because 4th BC century hellenism due to Alexander the Great's conquering the jews where affected by western culture that way, which is why they dress in depiction as they do due to its influence, although Alexander the great empire didnt reach arabia though, which is why semmitic influence was still effective there, and hellenism aka Christianity became the more dominant form.
https://churchpop.com/2015/03/09/6-of-the-oldest-images-of-jesus/
1791209.jpg

5.jpg

bgQerdt.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I sure dont understand it all, but im pretty sure it has to do with spiritual blindness that is a punishment from God, because of mans love for the world, which is harlotry and idolatry. God has covered our heads and shamed us

1 Corinthians 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head.

Isaiah 29:And has closed your eyes, namely, the prophets;
And He has covered your heads, namely, the seers

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Resting in the shadow of Egypt refers to love for the world, and following politicians instead of seeking the kingdom of Heaven.

This sure sounds like the locusts from the bottomless pit. It all here, the "Sound of many horses", "scorpion tails", "lions teeth", and the "hair of woman" which is a sign of shame. Its all found here in Isaiah 30.

Isaiah 30 “Woe to the rebellious children,” says the Lord,
“Who take counsel, but not of Me,
And who devise plans, but not of My Spirit,
That they may add sin to sin;
2 Who walk to go down to Egypt,
And have not asked My advice,
To strengthen themselves in the strength of Pharaoh,
And to trust in the shadow of Egypt!
3 Therefore the strength of Pharaoh
Shall be your shame,
And trust in the shadow of Egypt
Shall be your humiliation.

6 The burden against the beasts of the South.

Through a land of trouble and anguish,
From which came the lioness and lion,
The viper and fiery flying serpent,
They will carry their riches on the backs of young donkeys,
And their treasures on the humps of camels,
To a people who shall not profit;
7 For the Egyptians shall help in vain and to no purpose.
Therefore I have called her
Rahab-Hem-Shebeth.[a]

8 Now go, write it before them on a tablet,
And note it on a scroll,
That it may be for time to come,
Forever and ever:
9 That this is a rebellious people,
Lying children,
Children who will not hear the law of the Lord;
10 Who say to the seers, “Do not see,”
And to the prophets, “Do not prophesy to us right things;
Speak to us smooth things, prophesy deceits.
11 Get out of the way,
Turn aside from the path,
Cause the Holy One of Israel
To cease from before us.”

15 For thus says the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel:

“In returning and rest you shall be saved;
In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.”
But you would not,
16 And you said, “No, for we will flee on horses”—
Therefore you shall flee!
And, “We will ride on swift horses”—
Therefore those who pursue you shall be swift!

17 One thousand shall flee at the threat of one,
At the threat of five you shall flee,
Till you are left as a pole on top of a mountain
And as a banner on a hill.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why would God honor us? We have not sought the kingdom. We have not crowned the Lord King, nor His Kingdom our place of rest. No, we instead go down to rest in Egypt's shadow, i.e. politicians and their nations. Behold, the great harlot, mystery Babylon. We are supposed to make the Most high God our dwelling and rest in the shadow of His wings.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Shame verses honor-

Its all right here. Psalm 91, do you see the pestilences and plagues mentioned? THis refers to the plagues that God punishes those who fornicate with Babylon. Remember the shadow of Egypt, that God shamed the Israelite's with in Isaiah? Look here, Gods shadow-

John 12:26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

Psalm 91 He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.”
3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler[a]
And from the perilous pestilence.
4 He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
5 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,

6 Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
8 Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.

9 Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
10 No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
11 For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.
12 In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.
13 You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.

14 “Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him on high, because he has known My name.
15 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him,
And show him My salvation.”

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
POSTED: So basically i shouldnt have long hair then?

Long hair for just personal desire or if you're being prompted to do so by The Holy Spirit? Some believers do the Nazarite vow today. Might want to read Num 6. Paul shaved his head at the end of his vow (Acts 18:18).

Upvote 0

Senod2

Feb 22, 2016
Norway
✟746.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
POSTED: So basically i shouldnt have long hair then?

Long hair for just personal desire or if you're being prompted to do so by The Holy Spirit? Some believers do the Nazarite vow today. Might want to read Num 6. Paul shaved his head at the end of his vow (Acts 18:18).
Personal one. I am not that devoted i think to do the nazareene vow. But it doesnt say that you will not enter god's kingdom if you decide to have long hair, only that paul seems to think of it as shameful more or less.

Upvote 0