Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Today at 12:05 PM nikolai_42 said this in Post #21

I don't think he attributes them to God. He just believes the bible code is a key to the future.

Interesting. I suppose he attributes the bible codes to some form of precognition?

Upvote 0

nikolai_42

Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
✟8,446.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Today at 09:10 PM David Gould said this in Post #22

Interesting. I suppose he attributes the bible codes to some form of precognition?

I don't know. It seems, from what I read of his first book, that he simply looks at it scientifically. The odds against things appearing that come to pass in the way that they do are staggeringly high. In other words, these aren't just random messages. Whatever he believes the source to be, I think he is simply impressed with the 'track record'.

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Today at 12:15 PM nikolai_42 said this in Post #23

I don't know. It seems, from what I read of his first book, that he simply looks at it scientifically. The odds against things appearing that come to pass in the way that they do are staggeringly high. In other words, these aren't just random messages. Whatever he believes the source to be, I think he is simply impressed with the 'track record'.

Odd how people are so impressed with statistics like that.

They put War and Peace through the same program that the Bible Code dudes use and came up with just as many accurate "prophecies" ...

When you have a lot of letters, words and numbers plus a large number of events to choose from (the whole of recorded history), it is extremely likely that any systematic sorting will produce a whole swag of interesting stuff. 

But people like to see patterns ... that is what being human is, after all. :)

Upvote 0

nikolai_42

Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
✟8,446.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Personally, I have a couple of issues with it. First and foremost, it does seem to be divination. The Lord has given us His Word (active, not just the written letter) and to those who hear Him, there is no need for other 'sources'. He is the fulfillment for all those who know Him - in ALL ways. Second, the fact that these things have been found only AFTER fulfillment shows me that it is little more than reading holy tea leaves. I know you can find what you want in it - there is no apparent structure to interpretation.

So as far as 'patterns' go, it certainly is fascinating. And I remember reading in a magazine ('Skeptics' or something like that) and not being impressed with the comparison because there were far more erroneous and nonsense things in War and Peace. But then you're dealing with two different languages. Maybe we are getting a glimpse into why Hebrew is considered a 'mystical' (or is it 'perfect'?) language.

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Yes - the fact that all the 'prophecies' are only discovered after they have happened is to me the kicker. When they actually get to the point of predicting something will be the day I am impressed.

After all, even I can 'predict' things that have already happened ... ;)

Upvote 0

Hank

has the Right to be wrong
May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Today at 06:04 PM Starscream said this in Post #12

Anyone here willing to proclaim that 03-03-03 is going to turn out to be something 'special' before hand?

Come-on!  Let's see some power of prophesy guided by the holy spirit!

;)

I do, Sir! Yes. At 03:03 hr that is 3:03 am on 03 March 2002 or 03:03 03.03.30 Eastern Time will be the time I will be sound asleep. You heard it here first folks.

I could not resist :p

Upvote 0

MetalBlade

Defender of the Faith
Feb 23, 2003
Bowling Green, Ohio
Visit site
✟2,632.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think it is cool that it will soon be 03-03-03, but I doubt anything will happen. Nonthing happened on 02-02-02! Just superstition and folklore. If something does happen, I will be ready, but nothing to worry about!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MG

Choosey Moms Choose Life
Apr 21, 2002
Florida
✟932.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yesterday at 03:40 PM Tau said this in Post #10

:D

I can just imagine the look on people's faces after that message...

:(  ..... I agree with you Tau after I pick my jaw up off of the floor.

Prayer is a powerful thing! To know that millions will be praying at a certain hour is spiritually moving! 

Upvote 0

Tau

Irregular Member
Feb 28, 2003
Visit site
✟15,233.00
Today at 05:29 PM MG said this in Post #33 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=687156#post687156)

:(  ..... I agree with you Tau after I pick my jaw up off of the floor.

I think it was meant as a joke. That's how I took it, anyway. And agree on what, specifically? I didn't really express opinion, I just thought the joke was funny.

Prayer is a powerful thing! To know that millions will be praying at a certain hour is spiritually moving! 

If you feel that way, that's perfectly fine with me. Personally, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I *meant* it as a joke. I think it's funny, because it's so unlike God. It's like the Onion article about George Bush doing an impromptu oratory on the works of Virgil - it's funny because it's so unlike the person as to be obviously made up.

Upvote 0

Tau

Irregular Member
Feb 28, 2003
Visit site
✟15,233.00
Today at 10:37 PM Susan said this in Post #35 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=687767#post687767)

It was meant as a joke. Yes, it was not very funny because an eternity in H is nothing to laugh at :cry: :cry: but it was meant to be humorous.

I agree that an eternity in Hell is nothing to laugh at. And if someone had seriously suggested that God might throw people in Hell for thinking that there's something special about a certain date, I wouldn't have laughed, I would have been horrified. But, like seebs said, it wasn't a serious suggestion. No one thought it could actually happen, and it would be totally unlike any god ever spoken of by man. Which is why I just laughed.

Upvote 0