Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Getting to an open polling station and furnishing IDs doesn't encompass all methods of voter suppression. If you wanted perspective you can choose to listen to voters who have been exposed to the suppression for decades. And you can do some research yourself. If white folks were being suppressed at the level blacks have been you would understand. I doubt you are forced to register to vote every election. I also doubt you are forced into standing in line for twelve hours to cast your ballot either. These are things their communities deal with every single election. You will have perspective when they get around to suppressing YOUR RIGHTS. Sadly, it will be too late then to actually defend our democracy!

Citing evidence that blacks are less capable of furnishing ID or getting to a polling place than others would be enough to answer my question. As you are asserting that they are among the methods of voter suppression that white folks are somehow not affected by. Additionally, perhaps you could tell me what laws have been passed recently in States that will suppress black votes and not votes by other groups? And how exactly would those laws be a danger to the democratic voting process? All I have from anyone so far is one assertion upon another assertion with no evidence put forward to support those assertions. I am not saying that such evidence doesn't exist but how should I be convinced that the assertions are valid if those making the assertions cannot produce that evidence.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Could you give us some evidence that there is any legislation that will suppress black votes that will not suppress the votes of anyone that is not black?
I can. Or, more accurately, I can point us to the facts used by the plaintiffs' winning case against a GOP attempt in my state :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...blicans-tried-to-disenfranchise-black-voters/

In particular, the court found that North Carolina lawmakers requested data on racial differences in voting behaviors in the state. "This data showed that African Americans disproportionately lacked the most common kind of photo ID, those issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)," the judges wrote.

So the legislators made it so that the only acceptable forms of voter identification were the ones disproportionately used by white people. "With race data in hand, the legislature amended the bill to exclude many of the alternative photo IDs used by African Americans," the judges wrote. "The bill retained only the kinds of IDs that white North Carolinians were more likely to possess."

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In Texas, in order to prevent certain people from voting, they might only have one "designated polling place" located in the county seat of a large county, far away from the low-income community where few have the cars, or the gas money to drive to the county seat.

In Harris County, TX (Houston area) they have eliminated large numbers of polling places so that people will have to travel further (and wait longer) to get to the "designated polling places."

And of course it's hard to vote at the polling places when they reject your voter registration application because you might have used a middle initial on your driver's license. They didn't give you a chance to correct the application by notifying you it was denied and why? Oops! The state denied 40% of voter registration apps. Obviously their application was not 'user-friendly.' It might have been designed to be obtuse so they could reject as many as possible.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In Texas, in order to prevent certain people from voting, they might only have one "designated polling place" located in the county seat of a large county, far away from the low-income community where few have the cars, or the gas money to drive to the county seat.

In Harris County, TX (Houston area) they have eliminated large numbers of polling places so that people will have to travel further (and wait longer) to get to the "designated polling places."

And of course it's hard to vote at the polling places when they reject your voter registration application because you might have used a middle initial on your driver's license. They didn't give you a chance to correct the application by notifying you it was denied and why? Oops! The state denied 40% of voter registration apps. Obviously their application was not 'user-friendly.' It might have been designed to be obtuse so they could reject as many as possible.

Here where I live it's predominantly white and too far and too difficult for many people to get to polling places because of the extreme poverty here.

However, all the churches and some non-religious groups make sure to put the word out via everywhere (word of mouth, radio, television and news papers) phone numbers to call for free rides to go vote in-person, along with assistance and rides to help people become registered to vote who aren't currently registered.

This is an area that is some 97% white, and 75% or more living under the poverty line.

I'm sure the same can more easily be done in large cities, and if it doesn't affect white rights to vote here then you can't say it affects black Americans rights either.

And if a person cannot look at their ID and transcribe their name as written when the instructions state "as it is written on your driver's license" do you really want them deciding who gets to be president?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Let's begin with an answer to this: "What's a 'white nationalist,' and what, specifically, do they want?'"

A fair question deserving a fair answer. Let's break it down into two parts:

(BLUF: these are, of course, IMHO, but feel free to offer alternative definitions if you choose to disagree)

First, "nationalist": what separates a nationalist from a patriot is that while a patriot is motivated by love of their country, a nationalist is driven by contempt, disdain, or in extreme cases, outright hatred of anything not of their country... it seems like a subtle distinction, but it's actually a very important one. " I don't think of myself as the best... Just all of you as the worst," so to speak.

Now add "White" to the equation and you've got someone who has equated race (specifically, the white race) as part of that national identity... which means anything not white cannot be part of "their" nation, and since anything not of "their" nation is inherently inferior, well... there you go.

Ergo, "White Nationalist."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

(BLUF: these are, of course, IMHO, but feel free to offer alternative definitions if you choose to disagree)

First, "nationalist": what separates a nationalist from a patriot is that while a patriot is motivated by love of their country, a nationalist is driven by contempt, disdain, or in extreme cases, outright hatred of anything not of their country... it seems like a subtle distinction, but it's actually a very important one. " I don't think of myself as the best... Just all of you as the worst," so to speak.
That's a pretty superficial analysis, isn't it? It doesn't even attempt a definition of nationalism, being content to criticize some people who are self-styled nationalists or think they support nationalism.

If we do nothing more than consult some online dictionaries, the meaning of the word turns out to include the following:

--Thinking that one's nation will do better by acting independently rather than as part of some international pact that seeks to impose uniform values upon all peoples.

--Thinking that a particular culture or ethnic group deserves self-determination or that all such cultures are entitled to determine their own futures.

--Or, that nationalism is essentially the same as patriotism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's a pretty superficial analysis, isn't it? It doesn't even attempt a definition of nationalism, being content to criticize some people who are self-styled nationalists or think they support nationalism.

Perhaps a better definition is in order, then?

If we do nothing more than consult some online dictionaries, the meaning of the word turns out to include the following:

--Thinking that one's nation will do better by acting independently rather than as part of some international pact that seeks to impose uniform values upon all peoples.

Actually, this ties in nicely with my own definition, if you think to ask a crucial question: which is more important: to be independent, or to be successful?

Personally, I don't think anyone -- people or countries -- should be too proud to ask for help or accept advice. If I'm trying to do something and I see someone else is doing it better, shouldn't I see if I can learn something from them?

A patriot will learn from other countries to help improve his own. A nationalist might see such an act as a tacit admission of inferiority, and go it alone.

--Thinking that a particular culture or ethnic group deserves self-determination or that all such cultures are entitled to determine their own futures.
If you're going to go with that, then the wars (be they hot, cold, or trade) that America has been involved in shows that such nationalism is not practiced here -- and well it shouldn't, because such nationalism leads invariably to isolationism, which has never been a long-term benefit for any nation that attempted it.

--Or, that nationalism is essentially the same as patriotism.

Which I reject in favor of my own definition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
After explosive surgical gerrymandering and 19 states taking actions to make it more difficult, and in some cases near impossible, for people who tend to vote progressive to vote, you are trying to say, "Well Democrats did pretty well" before we put our collective thumbs on the scale....

What Republicans did is leave Democrats up in the air angrily flailing at the injustice and chicanery.
And I might say seemingly unable to prove any of it with evidence

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Now add "White" to the equation and you've got someone who has equated race (specifically, the white race) as part of that national identity... which means anything not white cannot be part of "their" nation, and since anything not of "their" nation is inherently inferior, well... there you go.

Ergo, "White Nationalist."
a simpler definition: if you do not share my beliefs you are a racist.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Winner
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, it's not a political agenda or a religion, so what "is" it?
I would say it's either misinformation or disinformation that manifests or serves a political and/or religious agenda. I think that "Nationalist", in these times, means to many people, self-dependent and self-determined, as in not too intertwined with the economies of other nations. When we add "white" to nationalist I think it implies a desire to preserve a certain perceived culture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I would say it's either misinformation or disinformation that manifests or serves a political and/or religious agenda. I think that "Nationalist", in these times, means to many people, self-dependent and self-determined, as in not too intertwined with the economies of other nations. When we add "white" to nationalist I think it implies a desire to preserve a certain perceived culture.

Except that "many people" considered Donald to be a nationalist, despite the fact that his fortunes were very much intertwined with the economies of other nations...it's not a consistent definition.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except that "many people" considered Donald to be a nationalist, despite the fact that his fortunes were very much intertwined with the economies of other nations...it's not a consistent definition.
Well, I think it's being generally used as either misinformation or disinformation to begin with. Trump spoke in terms of creating better trade policies that were more beneficial to the U.S... Therefore, if new trade negotiations should fail, it still would not matter because it can still be claimed that it just makes the U.S. more self-dependent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Well, I think it's being generally used as either misinformation or disinformation to begin with.

A reasonable opinion -- but what does it mean?

Trump spoke in terms of creating better trade policies that were more beneficial to the U.S...

Because entanglement in foreign economies is not only beneficial, but inevitable -- thus torpedoing your definition of nationalism.

Therefore, if new trade negotiations should fail, it still would not matter because it can still be claimed that it just makes the U.S. more self-dependent.

Except many of Donald's trade policies failed, and the US is no more independent as a result.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

When the word "white" is added to "nationalist", it's meant to add a racial component to the label as a way to demonize those they apply the term to. Race and skin color means everything to those who use the term "white nationalist".

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0