Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
New York Democratic congressman Mondaire Jones said on Thursday that “we are living through the worst assault on the right to vote since Jim Crow. And yesterday, on the Senate floor, white nationalists used the Jim Crow filibuster to block voting-rights legislation.”
Thoughts??

Sounds like they're using "carefully worded" statements to imply a comparison between the two, but then be able to claim deniability and say "we're not comparing the two, we said SINCE Jim Crow" when someone accuses them of comparing the two (which is what they actually intend to do)

I feel the same way about these implied comparisons as I do when people toss out the "Hitler/Nazi" implied comparisons.

When you have uniquely bad scenario XYZ, and people use the designator of "it's the worst thing since XYZ", that leaves a whole lot of middle ground and seems intentionally aimed at drawing a comparison between the minds of their listeners.

It's like someone getting a sprained ankle 30 years after losing their hand in a machine shop, and saying "this is the worst physical injury I've had since I lost my hand in that saw" (in an emphatic tone as to imply they're even remotely in the same ballpark)

Anyone who's actually aware of the types of things that happened in the Jim Crow era would be ashamed to publicly claim that "you need to have a valid state ID to vote" even remotely resembles the former.

It should also be noted that Black Americans support voter ID to the tune of 70%...Does anyone think that 70% of Black Americans at the time supported Jim Crow policies?

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Some times you wonder.. are we being punk'd? HAHA I tell my wife sometimes how safe she is..shes Chinese.. as long as Biden is President ;) Me? I can claim something yet look at me and white and love this nation PRAISE GOD and voted for Trump. All for keeping America great and saving America..yeah WHOS not for that part lol. I am all for ANYONE in office he/she that will keep their word. One person that tried to run has more bad history then Trump does yet odd how its OK and we NEVER talk about that..odd. Anyway.

So we all know what nationalist means and some love this nation some don't and could be might not be racist. I believe a OLD black man ..way older then me and I am 60 has the right earned the right to say "racist use to be the last word used. Today its the first word used".

Christ siad it best..if we apply it to this nation.. if we are divided we will fall thats a fact. Forgive me if I offended never meant to
Why am I not surprised this is word salad?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
New York Democratic congressman Mondaire Jones said on Thursday that “we are living through the worst assault on the right to vote since Jim Crow. And yesterday, on the Senate floor, white nationalists used the Jim Crow filibuster to block voting-rights legislation.”
Thoughts??
House Democrat Calls 52 Senators ‘White Nationalists’ | National Review

When Democrats are passing laws that allow non-citizens to vote....I don't blame anyone skeptical of their "voting rights legislation".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...region/noncitizens-nyc-voting-rights.amp.html

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hooray! A liberal activist website saying something against Trump voters.
How on Earth did you manage to find such hard-to-find data???
I guess I shouldn't have expected any sort of substantive rebuttal to the information in the article.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
First, "nationalist": what separates a nationalist from a patriot is that while a patriot is motivated by love of their country, a nationalist is driven by contempt, disdain, or in extreme cases, outright hatred of anything not of their country... it seems like a subtle distinction, but it's actually a very important one. " I don't think of myself as the best... Just all of you as the worst," so to speak.

That's a poor definition.

The US imports such a vast amount of everything (like bananas for example) there's basically no extreme nationalism.

Plus it becomes even stranger when we talk about things like Scottish nationalism. Many Scottish nationalists don't seem to hate the UK.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's a poor definition.

The US imports such a vast amount of everything (like bananas for example) there's basically no extreme nationalism.

Not seeing the connection.

Plus it becomes even stranger when we talk about things like Scottish nationalism. Many Scottish nationalists don't seem to hate the UK.

Clearly the term means something different to a Scot than it does to me.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not seeing the connection.

"a nationalist is driven by contempt, disdain, or in extreme cases, outright hatred of anything not of their country."

Bananas aren't of the US. iPhones aren't of the US.

Clearly the term means something different to a Scot than it does to me.

Gotcha, I guess we should just ignore your definition then lest people get the idea that they can just make up any old definition of a word and expect others to keep it in mind while speaking with them.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
"a nationalist is driven by contempt, disdain, or in extreme cases, outright hatred of anything not of their country."

Bananas aren't of the US. iPhones aren't of the US.

Shhh... don't tell them about the iPhones -- they think Apple is as American as... well, Apple Pie.

As for the bananas, I see I have to explain a little more. First of all, there area few nationalists who have no interest in anything "foreign," such as them, but for the most part, they can tolerate such trade so long as there is no "trade deficit."

Unfortunately, they tend to get a little confused concerning what is a "trade deficit" is, and whether or not that is a bad thing -- Economists, they are not. But what can you do?

Gotcha, I guess we should just ignore your definition

Not really sure where you're getting the plural from, but you (singular) can accept or reject any definition you wish, and my ongoing streak of apathy in the matter will be in no danger of being broken. Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Shhh... don't tell them about the iPhones -- they think Apple is as American as... well, Apple Pie.

As for the bananas, I see I have to explain a little more. First of all, there area few nationalists who have no interest in anything "foreign," such as them, but for the most part, they can tolerate such trade so long as there is no "trade deficit."

Unfortunately, they tend to get a little confused concerning what is a "trade deficit" is, and whether or not that is a bad thing -- Economists, they are not. But what can you do?

Can you provide an example? This sounds like a figment of your imagination.

Not really sure where you're getting the plural from, but you (singular) can accept or reject any definition you wish, and my ongoing streak of apathy in the matter will be in no danger of being broken. Have a nice day.

Yeah apathy....defending a made up definition for multiple posts.

8c0548e1-3ac7-46bd-9a51-ae14f20c9917_text.gif

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Can you provide an example? This sounds like a figment of your imagination.

Hmmm... let me check real quick.... sorry, the streak's still unbroken. Whether you accept my definition or not still doesn't bother me one bit.

Yeah apathy....defending a made up definition for multiple posts.

Not sure what you're talking about -- you only came to the thread relatively recently.

It seems unlikely that an explanation will break the streak.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I guess I shouldn't have expected any sort of substantive rebuttal to the information in the article.

It matched the information in the article.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Here's an interesting article:
"Patriotism" vs. "Nationalism": What's The Difference?

What is nationalism?
In most contexts today, nationalism is “the policy or doctrine of asserting the interests of one’s own nation viewed as separate from the interests of other nations or the common interests of all nations.” In short, nationalism is a kind of excessive, aggressive patriotism.

Modern nationalism is rooted, in part, in French and American revolutions that fought for the sovereignty of their people over monarchies. This historic nationalism is generally viewed favorably, a cornerstone of Western liberalism and democracy.

However, fascist regimes have merged the fervor of nationalism with the notions of superiority, especially when it comes to ethnicity and religion. In such contexts, “patriots” can become those who happened to agree with you or look like you, and “traitors” those who do not.

Upvote 0