Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It...uh...was an "extremely narrow and selective summary". To wit:
Josh Marshall on Twitter

Odd, though, that a report that is "exonerating" would have at least one person on here whining about the report trying to "get Trump impeached". So unfair to uncover the president's crimes!
Ringo

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So unfair to uncover the president's crimes!
Ringo
What crimes? That's the point. Why do you seem so disappointed that there was no crimes committed by the president? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What crimes? That's the point. Why do you seem so disappointed that there was no crimes committed by the president? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

There were crimes committed that Mueller laid out in his report. It might help if you bothered to actually read it instead of attempting to gaslight people here.
Ringo

• Winner
Reactions: Allandavid
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There were crimes committed that Mueller laid out in his report. It might help if you bothered to actually read it instead of attempting to gaslight people here.
Ringo
What crimes did the Mueller report say President Trump committed?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What crimes did the Mueller report say President Trump committed?

Pretty sure we've been through this: obstruction of justice.

Educating youself instead of bloviating about matters you seem ignorant of (possibly by choice) would be helpful.
Ringo

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Pretty sure we've been through this: obstruction of justice.

Educating yourself instead of bloviating about matters you seem ignorant of (possibly by choice) would be helpful.
Ringo

"He cannot obstruct justice by exercising his exclusive authority to fire his appointees for any reason or no reason at all. He doesn’t Even have to give a reason. Congress tried twice to restrict that authority by statute. In fact, the impeachment of Andrew Johnson, Lincoln’s VP who succeeded him after Lincoln’s assassination, was because of Johnson’s refusal to snide by the Tenure of Office Act. A subsequent Congressional attempt to restrict the President’s authority was struck down by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional. Congress cannot achieve the same result by trying to bring it under an obstruction of justice statute.

Further, you cannot instruct justice by publicly proclaiming your innocence. Not only is that protected by the first amendment, obstruction of justice requires a corrupt interference (“hey, I didn’t do it and I think the prosecutor is out to get me and the entire investigation is illegal” will not qualify, even if you are guilty. How much more inappropriate to base a corruption claim on that kind of statement if you are in fact innocent. Do we want, as a matter of policy, to base an obstruction charge on protestations of innocence? I think not.

Yes, obstruction can occur even when someone is innocent but, as I said, it must be corrupt. Suborning perjury, bribing a witness, etc., may be obstruction, but nothing that is claimed as a basis for obstruction of justice by Trump fits the bill." -Mark Pollot, J.D. Constitutional Law & Civil Rights, University of San Diego School of Law (1986)

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All very interesting, but it's not the reasons given for obstruction. It was the repeated attempts to seize control of the SCO and lying on the part of Donny's lackeys that form the basis of the obstruction charge: The Episodes of Potential Obstruction of Justice by Trump in the Mueller Report

There's also this:
Mueller Rejects View That Presidents Can’t Obstruct Justice

Here's a more abbreviated article about the actions that Mueller thought constituted the strongest case for obstruction: Which Trump Obstruction Acts Did Mueller Find To Be Most Obstruction-y?

So you can whine about how the report "didn't show any criminal activity", but that isn't supported by reality.
Ringo

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"He cannot obstruct justice by exercising his exclusive authority to fire his appointees for any reason or no reason at all. He doesn’t Even have to give a reason. Congress tried twice to restrict that authority by statute. In fact, the impeachment of Andrew Johnson, Lincoln’s VP who succeeded him after Lincoln’s assassination, was because of Johnson’s refusal to snide by the Tenure of Office Act. A subsequent Congressional attempt to restrict the President’s authority was struck down by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional. Congress cannot achieve the same result by trying to bring it under an obstruction of justice statute.

Further, you cannot instruct justice by publicly proclaiming your innocence. Not only is that protected by the first amendment, obstruction of justice requires a corrupt interference (“hey, I didn’t do it and I think the prosecutor is out to get me and the entire investigation is illegal” will not qualify, even if you are guilty. How much more inappropriate to base a corruption claim on that kind of statement if you are in fact innocent. Do we want, as a matter of policy, to base an obstruction charge on protestations of innocence? I think not.

Yes, obstruction can occur even when someone is innocent but, as I said, it must be corrupt. Suborning perjury, bribing a witness, etc., may be obstruction, but nothing that is claimed as a basis for obstruction of justice by Trump fits the bill." -Mark Pollot, J.D. Constitutional Law & Civil Rights, University of San Diego School of Law (1986)

Vol. II, Page 157: The incidents were often carried out through one-on-one meetings in which the President sought to use his official power outside of usual channels. These actions ranged from efforts to remove the Special Counsel and to reverse the effect of the Attorney General’s recusal; to the attempted use of official power to limit the scope of the investigation; to direct and indirect contacts with witnesses with the potential to influence their testimony. Viewing the acts collectively can help to illuminate their significance.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Vol. II, Page 177: Accordingly, based on the analysis above, we were not persuaded by the argument that the President has blanket constitutional immunity to engage in acts that would corruptly obstruct justice through the exercise of otherwise-valid Article II powers protecting the integrity of its own proceedings and the proceedings of Article III courts and grand juries

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Vol. II, Page 5-6: In early 2018, the press reported that the president had directed McGahn to have the special counsel removed in June 2017 and that McGahn had threatened to resign rather than carry out the order. The president reacted to the news stories by directing White House officials to tell McGahn to dispute the story and to create a record stating he had not been ordered to have the special counsel removed. McGahn told those officials that the media reports were accurate in stating that the president had directed McGahn to have the special counsel removed. The president then met with McGahn in the Oval Office and again pressured him to deny the reports. In the same meeting, the president also asked McGahn why he had told the special counsel about the president’s effort to remove the special counsel and why McGahn took notes of his conversation with the president. McGahn refused to back away from what he remembered happening and perceived the president to be testing his mettle.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,694.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's put Trump on trial for obstruction, with William Barr as defense attorney and an attorney of Congress' choice for prosecutor (I would suggest Adam Schiff.)

Las Vegas oddsmakers could handle the bet pool. A percentage of their profits could reduce the national debt.

It would be entertaining and fund-raising.

I'll put $10 on conviction.

Upvote 0