†††Thanks For Every Things God†††

S

stevi_holy

Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; love one another with mutual affection; outdo one another in showing honor. Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them." Romans 12:9-14

We've been talking this week about the value of becoming a positive person and the way that we can contribute to the lives of others even in the face of those with whom we have a difficult time relating. But the fact will always remain - there are some people with whom we might never enjoy a good relationship.

Who knows why? There are times when people just push the wrong buttons in each other. There are times when people go out of their way to be hurtful. There are times when people act in truly evil, divisive, destructive ways that cannot be condoned or accommodated. What do we do then?

Peter asked Jesus whether it would be enough to forgive such folks seven times. Jesus responded that there is no end to forgiveness.

Paul says that, try as you might to be empathetic, caring and a servant of Christ, there will always be those who persecute you. "Bless them" is his response to his persecutors. Bless them, pray for them, pray for the best for them.

How can you do that? By getting out of the way. By becoming a conduit, an instrument of God's love. You might not be able to love someone else to the degree that you know God calls us to be loving - but God can! God can even love your persecutors through you, if you are only willing to get your ego, your hurt, out of the way. "I might not love you, but I can pray that God will love you through me." Such a stance brings miracles.

Let us pray: Dearest Jesus, may your love flow through us always. You knew the pain of rejection and persecution - how trifling our little troubles with others seems compared to that which you endured. You are our Healer - through your suffering, you teach us to open ourselves to being wounded by others, that we might know the true power of love. We thank you for your witness and your encouragement to meet persecution with blessing. In Jesus' name. Amen.