Not open for further replies.

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you moved to a new area and your Church Denomination or Non Denomination wasn't represented and no where in reasonable driving distance, but almost all other Christian Faiths were in the area, which one would you go to?
List your top three choices

mine are

Catholic Church
Orthodox Church(right there neck and neck with the Catholics like Affirmed and Alydar in the Belmont)
Anglican/Episcopalian Church.

Last edited:

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have never been bound to a specific denomination. There are a few that I avoid because I know we have deep theological differences. I usually look for a place where the Bible is actually preached and it is foundational to the teaching in the SS and other classes as well as a place where we can serve.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you moved to a new area and your Church Denomination or Non Denomination wasn't represented and no where in reasonable driving distance, but almost all other Christian Faiths were in the area, which one would you go to?

mine are

Catholic Church
Orthodox Church(right there neck and neck with the Catholics like Affirmed and Alydar in the Belmont)

I would not go to any--I would do the Hours in my home. That is what we are advised to do. Actually, it is not at all unusual for Orthodox to drive 60 miles to get to church. My parish has people that drive that every week (and for some that is one way) in order to come to church.

Upvote 0

itisdeliciouscake

Deus est regit qui omnia
Apr 14, 2008
Indiana
✟11,689.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I would not move to place where I can't find a church that...

holds to the doctrines of the Substitutionary Atonement and Sola Scriptura
does not preach truth from The Bible regularly
does not provide a way to connect with other believers

I could really care less what denomination they where as long as they did those 3 things. I kinda wanna be a preacher anyways... so ya

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I could really care less what denomination they where as long as they did those 3 things. I kinda wanna be a preacher anyways... so ya

Sometimes the move isn't by choice. Other times you may be following a job and trusting God to lead you to a church once you're there.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

The question is not actually about moving, you know. It's asking which alternate church (denomination) would you select if for some reason--it really doesn't matter what reason--yours was no longer available.

Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The question is not actually about moving, you know. It's asking which alternate church (denomination) would you select if for some reason--it really doesn't matter what reason--yours was no longer available.

Exactly, just basically asking what other Church's do you feel line up with your theology and type and style of worship etc. That you would feel comfortable going to on a weekly basis if your Christian Church wasn't available. That's all nothing really too deep.

Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would not go to any--I would do the Hours in my home. That is what we are advised to do. Actually, it is not at all unusual for Orthodox to drive 60 miles to get to church. My parish has people that drive that every week (and for some that is one way) in order to come to church.

60 miles? Wow that's amazing, when you see them this Sunday give them some "reps" from me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Me too. We currently drive 45 minutes each way to Church twice per week amd a little over an hour each way to the monastery once per month.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

mine are

Catholic Church
I'm sorry but the problem with this question is that it assumes that a "place" of worship has to be in order to worship God. And what if I, an ex-Catholic, decides to worship God in a Catholic Church? Yeah, so even though I'm not particularily agreeing with everything that is said or done during the service, or mass, I fail to see how I can't be at the same time worshipping God.

I presently belong to a non-denominational church where I don't agree with 100% of what is being taught, yet I am still worshipping God at the very same time. Worshiping God is an inner thing, it's a heart thing, it's a spirit thing. Didn't Jesus say that the true worshippers of God has to worship him in both spirit and truth?

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
true
there's lots of options
personal study and worship
family study and worship
home church

You need to go anywhere to be the church or to "have church".

I've had more than one service around a campfire after breakfast on top of a mountain with a bunch of families from the campground.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ok you guys are waaay over thinking this. LOL
All I was asking/wondering was if for whatever reason you had to move into an area where your denominations did not have a church but most others did, which ones would you go to. LOL nothing all that deep :wave:
I don't think I over thought this at all, although I would say your personal list of options was extremely limited. My message was, it is very possibly to worship God in whatever setting you have. Will the fellowship be the same, of course not, but you're not asking about fellowship you're asking about worshipping God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've had more than one service around a campfire after breakfast on top of a mountain with a bunch of families from the campground.
Unfortunately I never had the pleasure, but if I wasn't able to worship God in my current non-denominational place of worship and instead happend to walk up to a group of people around a campfire praying and worshipping God, you can bet I will be right there with them! :)

I can't list a top 3 because I have none. If anything, I would say I would gravitate towards charismatic, and the Catholic do have plently of charismatics amongst them, praise God!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't think I over thought this at all, although I would say your personal list of options was extremely limited. My message was, it is very possibly to worship God in whatever setting you have. Will the fellowship be the same, of course not, but you're not asking about fellowship you're asking about worshipping God.

Those would just be my choices, they aren't the choices you choose from. For example you are a Non Denom so maybe you might find a Pentacostal Church or a Vineyard, interesting to go visit. I don't know, or maybe you really like the Luthern's etc.

It was more a fun thing to ponder. GT get's heated and sometimes it's nice to have a thread that isn't always about tearing down someone else's faith and see what other Christian Faiths beside our own we may also identify with.
Thats all

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Those would just be my choices, they aren't the choices you choose from. For example you are a Non Denom so maybe you might find a Pentacostal Church or a Vineyard, interesting to go visit. I don't know, or maybe you really like the Luthern's etc.

It was more a fun thing to ponder. GT get's heated and sometimes it's nice to have a thread that isn't always about tearing down someone else's faith and see what other Christian Faiths beside our own we may also identify with.
Thats all

I would gravitate towards anything charismatic, but it really wouldn't matter to me. God places me where He needs me. I have no say in the matter.

Right now I am a member of a non-denominational church where I don't agree with them on everything, but because this is the place where God has placed me and wants me to stay, I obey and stay put. :)

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would probably not go to another church, but most likely do the Hours and other prayers at home. Saves gas money ;)

If the Oriental Orthodox Church reunited with my Eastern Orthodox Church and an OO parish was nearby, than I would visit it post-reunion. Actually, I believe that there is an agreement between our two Churches that allows us to inter-Commune on a very small basis such as one's own church being a great distance away. I would most likely look into that.

In the end, I would hope I could find the nearest Orthodox church and maybe go there once a month or so if it was about a hundred miles away.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would probably not go to another church, but most likely do the Hours and other prayers at home. Saves gas money ;)

If the Oriental Orthodox Church reunited with my Eastern Orthodox Church and an OO parish was nearby, than I would visit it post-reunion. Actually, I believe that there is an agreement between our two Churches that allows us to inter-Commune on a very small basis such as one's own church being a great distance away. I would most likely look into that.

In the end, I would hope I could find the nearest Orthodox church and maybe go there once a month or so if it was about a hundred miles away.
This is the expressed reason why I would never be an Orthodox. God has a plan for all of us and it isn't confined within the 4 walls of a church. He places us where He can use us, where we can make a difference, that's my belief.

Otherwise, each and everyone of us can worship God at anytime and any place. As I said with my first post, there is a problem with the questioned asked. We can all worship God anywhere and at anytime. Fellowship with other christians however is a whole different thing. And I would be glad to fellowship with any believer in christ, the question is, at what level.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.