Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you moved to a new area and your Church Denomination or Non Denomination wasn't represented and no where in reasonable driving distance, but almost all other Christian Faiths were in the area, which one would you go to?
List your top three choices

mine are

Catholic Church
Orthodox Church(right there neck and neck with the Catholics like Affirmed and Alydar in the Belmont)
Anglican/Episcopalian Church.

I looked at this a different way and decided that if ever I were to move my choices would be limited to some place within driving distance of an Orthodox Church.

For me there's no alternative to that.

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Fellowship with other christians however is a whole different thing. And I would be glad to fellowship with any believer in christ, the question is, at what level.

It's my belief that Mass is about worshipping God as a community, it is 'us and God' rather than 'me and God' as it is at other times. Fellowship is something different. :) So while I can see that your answer is a good one in the context of your beliefs, it doesn't really mesh with mine. I am also glad to fellowship with any believer, thank God He didn't create us to be alone! :D

As for the OP, it's hard to imagine not being able to get to a Catholic Church. However, in the spirit of the question, if I were to become a protestant I would probably make my first stop in a Pentecostal church.:thumbsup: They have awesome enthusiasm and love for God. I know of some great non denom churches I'd be interested in too.

Reactions: kenrapoza
Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
It's a pretty good question, one that makes you think. :thumbsup:

My church membership is Assemblies of God, but I have very little loyalty to the denomination (I'll explain below), only to my particular congregation, which in practice seems to operate more like a Calvary Chapel (hence the CC icon).

I want a church that's solidly grounded in the very basics of the faith, the historic "five fundamentals" and Apostles/Nicene Creed-type stuff, but not legalistic and not too culturally conservative. I'm continuationist, so I prefer charismatic or charismatic-friendly, but in an orderly way. I prefer full equality for women in ministry.
I'm pro-"emerging church" but on the conservative side of it. And I don't want to hear any politics, of any flavor, from the pulpit -- God is not a Democrat or Republican (though He may be a Libertarian ;)). I'm a casual person, and I don't like to dress up much. I don't like preachers who yell (very occasionally for emphasis is ok, but not as a normal mode of delivery). Instead, I prefer conversational teaching that has solid substance to it. I like my church to be a friendly, welcoming community with a missional attitude. I prefer either a liturgical service or a very contemporary one; traditional Protestant services don't do that much for me.

Meet the above, and most any reasonably orthodox denomination could work for me. My particular AG congregation does, which is why I joined, though I'm not optimistic that other AG churches necessarily would.

So...

In a new town, I'd check out AG in hopes of getting lucky and finding another one like mine. I'd check out the very similar Foursquare, and also Calvary Chapel. And Baptist (but not IFB - way too fundie for me), Anglican or Episcopal, Lutheran (but not WELS - much too conservative), Methodist, Presbyterian, Evangelical Covenant and non-denominational are all possibilities. In a pinch I'd be ok with going to a Catholic or Orthodox church.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Bro_Sam

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,312.00
Faith
Calvinist
If you moved to a new area and your Church Denomination or Non Denomination wasn't represented and no where in reasonable driving distance, but almost all other Christian Faiths were in the area, which one would you go to?

mine are

Catholic Church

Wesley must be rolling over in his grave to hear a Methodist say that.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I looked at this a different way and decided that if ever I were to move my choices would be limited to some place within driving distance of an Orthodox Church.

The question is hypothetical and precludes there being any Orthodox Church within driving distance. What then?

Upvote 0

Bro_Sam

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,312.00
Faith
Calvinist

I would look for a church that preaches and teaches the word of God faithfully, practices church discipline, and expects more from me than to just show up, over a specific denomination.

Of course, if there was no Baptist church, I'd probably plant one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would look for a church that preaches and teaches the word of God faithfully, practices church discipline, and expects more from me than to just show up, over a specific denomination.

Of course, if there was no Baptist church, I'd probably plant one.

If planting a new church were not possible, and if you had to start looking at other, altready-existing churches, which are the three, by denomination, that you'd have to most hope for?

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Calvary Chapel (hence the CC icon).

Just be careful telling people you are member of the "CC." The reactions you get might be priceless. I guarantee it.
redface.gif

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In those situations we are instructed to stay home an have a reader's typika.

Seems like someone else answered in the same way, i.e. no other choice of church would be made. That seems a fair answer to the question, I agree. But this thread is a little game or mind exercise for us to play, not a real interrogation into one's loyalty to his particular church or its regulations. So what would you say if it were reworded a bit to ask this: Which three unacceptable non-Orthodox churches do you think come the closest to your religious preferences or requirement, all consideration of you worshipping there or joining them having been removed from the discussion?

Reactions: boswd
Upvote 0

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Seems like someone else answered in the same way, i.e. no other choice of church would be made. That seems a fair answer to the question, I agree. But this thread is a little game or mind exercise for us to play, not a real interrogation into one's loyalty to his particular church or its regulations. So what would you say if it were reworded a bit to ask this: Which three unacceptable non-Orthodox churches do you think come the closest to your religious preferences or requirement, all consideration of you worshipping there or joining them having been removed from the discussion?

Closest in praxis and theology would be:

Eastern-rite Catholic
Oriental Orthodox
Latin-rite Catholic

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bro_Sam

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,312.00
Faith
Calvinist
If planting a new church were not possible, and if you had to start looking at other, altready-existing churches, which are the three, by denomination, that you'd have to most hope for?

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Closest in praxis and theology would be:

Eastern-rite Catholic
Oriental Orthodox
Latin-rite Catholic

I would go with a traditional Anglican parish first, then Oriental Orthodox, then the Eastern Rite Catholic.

Mary

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

...beginning with Advent Christian in the church listings and working down to Zion Whatever. ;)

I think a lot of people have done the exact same thing. Nothing wrong with that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.