Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Anglican before an OO, interesting.

That's because I was in an Anglo-Catholic parish before I became Orthodox, and there are many parishes like that who are very close in theology (if not practice) to Orthodoxy. Also, my hubby is Anglo-Catholic. :)

Mary

Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's because I was in an Anglo-Catholic parish before I became Orthodox, and there are many parishes like that who are very close in theology (if not practice) to Orthodoxy. Also, my hubby is Anglo-Catholic. :)

Mary

Ahhhh very cool.

If you and your hubby are ever in the Boston area this is a must see, very famous High Anglo Catholic Church.
Pictures do not do it justice on how stunning this church is. The service is absolutley beautiful.

The Church of the Advent - Homepage

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟135,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is the expressed reason why I would never be an Orthodox. God has a plan for all of us and it isn't confined within the 4 walls of a church. He places us where He can use us, where we can make a difference, that's my belief.
I don't know where the Holy Spirit is not, but I do know where He is.

I know that He is in the Orthodox Church. I see Him most clearly there than in any other Church, denomination, cult, group, etc; hence, why I am Orthodox.

I don't know if He is with the Baptists, the Roman Catholics, the Anglicans, etc; but, I do know without a shred of doubt that He is in the Orthodox Church. Why go somewhere if I do not know that He is there? Especially if the somewhere contradicts where I know He is?

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Just be careful telling people you are member of the "CC." The reactions you get might be priceless. I guarantee it.
redface.gif
^_^

That I wouldn't do. Too much potential for misunderstanding.

Whatever might they think?

That I'm Church of Christ? Some variants of that one are cult-like, though the main body is fine.

Or Catholic? I might sometimes give that impression by reading Catholic authors like Chesterton, Kreeft or Ratzinger, or carrying a Catholic edition of the Bible. It doesn't particularly bother me if people think I'm Catholic. And I might actually become one (though not Roman Catholic) if there were an Old Catholic (Utrecht) church near me.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Seems like someone else answered in the same way, i.e. no other choice of church would be made. That seems a fair answer to the question, I agree. But this thread is a little game or mind exercise for us to play, not a real interrogation into one's loyalty to his particular church or its regulations. So what would you say if it were reworded a bit to ask this: Which three unacceptable non-Orthodox churches do you think come the closest to your religious preferences or requirement, all consideration of you worshipping there or joining them having been removed from the discussion?
Taking it that way:

Anglican/Episcopalian
Lutheran (ELCA)
Old Catholic (Utrecht)

I didn't order them, because I'm not really sure of the order... and anyway, the order would probably vary depending on local differences.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know where the Holy Spirit is not, but I do know where He is.

I know that He is in the Orthodox Church. I see Him most clearly there than in any other Church, denomination, cult, group, etc; hence, why I am Orthodox.

I don't know if He is with the Baptists, the Roman Catholics, the Anglicans, etc; but, I do know without a shred of doubt that He is in the Orthodox Church. Why go somewhere if I do not know that He is there? Especially if the somewhere contradicts where I know He is?
And I believe the Holy Spirit is in us, He is not in a church, no matter what that church is, but He is in each and everyone of us, who make up the Church.

Ephesians 1:13-14, And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession, to the praise of his glory.

The Holy Spirit is in us acting like a seal around our born again spirit. He lives in us.

Colossians 1:27, To them God has chosen to make known among the gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

I believe anyone seeking the Holy Spirit in a church is most likely going to find religion, but the mystery isn't Christ in a church building or an organization, but Christ in us, his people.

Upvote 0

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
There are a variety of churchs I would try out.

Non denominational
Eastern Orthodox(I am very interested in EO and I admire many of their traits and philosophies)
Messianic Jewish(I'm a sabbatarian)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
^_^

That I wouldn't do. Too much potential for misunderstanding.

Whatever might they think?

That I'm Church of Christ? Some variants of that one are cult-like, though the main body is fine.

Or Catholic? I might sometimes give that impression by reading Catholic authors like Chesterton, Kreeft or Ratzinger, or carrying a Catholic edition of the Bible. It doesn't particularly bother me if people think I'm Catholic. And I might actually become one (though not Roman Catholic) if there were an Old Catholic (Utrecht) church near me.

The abbreviation "CC" certainly would not bring the Church of Rome to my mind before such other bodies as the Churches of Christ, I agree.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's my belief that Mass is about worshipping God as a community, it is 'us and God' rather than 'me and God' as it is at other times. Fellowship is something different. :) So while I can see that your answer is a good one in the context of your beliefs, it doesn't really mesh with mine. I am also glad to fellowship with any believer, thank God He didn't create us to be alone! :D
I was born and raised in the RCC and the last time I went to a RC funeral, the priest asked all those who either were not Catholic, or otherwise not of the faith, to come up along with everyone else during communion, but without accepting the waffer and to just say peace be with you, and the priest graciously said it back. Kinda strange and different but I did that along with several others. So we still were all worshipping God together but the fellowship was not 100% there.

But yeah, I agree with you. :)

As for the OP, it's hard to imagine not being able to get to a Catholic Church. However, in the spirit of the question, if I were to become a protestant I would probably make my first stop in a Pentecostal church.:thumbsup: They have awesome enthusiasm and love for God. I know of some great non denom churches I'd be interested in too.
Just in case you don't know, the Catholic charismatic renewal has been going on since the 60's and now there's millions of charismatic Catholics who worship with the same "enthusiasm" as some of the Pentecostal churches. Minus the over the top ones.

I belong to a non-denominational charismatic church, for the record. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟135,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And I believe the Holy Spirit is in us, He is not in a church, no matter what that church is, but He is in each and everyone of us, who make up the Church.

<snip>

The Holy Spirit is in us acting like a seal around our born again spirit. He lives in us.

<snip>

I believe anyone seeking the Holy Spirit in a church is most likely going to find religion, but the mystery isn't Christ in a church building or an organization, but Christ in us, his people.
Perhaps I need to clarify...

When I used the word "church" in my post, I did not refer to the four-walled building I go to Sunday mornings for Liturgy. I did not mean some cigar smoke-filled room with a bunch of good ole' boys that 'rules all' (like the 'controllers' in the book "Brave New World"). Nor did I even mean the 'mini-church' that is, the family.

What I was referring to was the entire Church as an organism. From the highest honored patriarch, to the simple old lady, to the teenage wise-guys, to the newly born babe. All that is Orthodox from the theology, to the history, to the worship and to the life of Orthodoxy is what I was referring to. Basically all things Orthodox is what I meant and not an exclusive four-walled building or some cigar smoke-filled room of good ole' boys.

The Orthodox Church is within every Orthodox Christian as we have survived persecution for almost 2,000 years from Jews, Pagans, Muslims, other Christians, Buddhists, Communists, etc. Sometimes in that persecution we are blessed to have a building to freely and safely worship in, sometimes not. There are some within my own parish who escaped from the Soviet Union and fled because of their faith. Some of the stories they share will erase any thought that God is limited to a four sided building.

Given the response from you, you seemed to think that I was saying God is limited to a building that I am blessed to get to most Sundays. I am merely stating that that is not what I meant. I am merely stating that I would not attend a non-Orthodox church because I see God with the greatest clarity within the Orthodox Church. I would not want that clarity to be clouded and then lead me astray.

Is the Holy Spirit outside of the Orthodox Church? I'm sure He is, but I don't know where. All I know is that He is within the Orthodox Church and that is good enough for me because when it comes down to it, I'm just a simple man :)

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If you moved to a new area and your Church Denomination or Non Denomination wasn't represented and no where in reasonable driving distance, but almost all other Christian Faiths were in the area, which one would you go to?
List your top three choices

mine are

Catholic Church
Orthodox Church(right there neck and neck with the Catholics like Affirmed and Alydar in the Belmont)
Anglican/Episcopalian Church.

I don't mind going anywhere . I wouldn't attend a Catholic or Orthodox meeting because I know that the Catholics would not knowingly allow *me* to be a part of their communion - the reason for meeting . I am fairly certain that the Orthodox would be similar in that regard . I would most likely stay away from what I call "Protestant" groups as they are too close to Catholic and I don't want to be reminded of their actions towards me while I was with their group .

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,177,984.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Once upon a time I would have listed the Anglican Church as an option, but having been to a few Anglican services in the recent years I have found that it is only a source of distress. So, like the other Orthodox who have responded, I would pray the Hours and make the effort to visit the nearest Orthodox Church at least once a month, whatever the distance.

John

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Perhaps I need to clarify...

When I used the word "church" in my post, I did not refer to the four-walled building I go to Sunday mornings for Liturgy. I did not mean some cigar smoke-filled room with a bunch of good ole' boys that 'rules all' (like the 'controllers' in the book "Brave New World"). Nor did I even mean the 'mini-church' that is, the family.

What I was referring to was the entire Church as an organism. From the highest honored patriarch, to the simple old lady, to the teenage wise-guys, to the newly born babe. All that is Orthodox from the theology, to the history, to the worship and to the life of Orthodoxy is what I was referring to. Basically all things Orthodox is what I meant and not an exclusive four-walled building or some cigar smoke-filled room of good ole' boys.

The Orthodox Church is within every Orthodox Christian as we have survived persecution for almost 2,000 years from Jews, Pagans, Muslims, other Christians, Buddhists, Communists, etc. Sometimes in that persecution we are blessed to have a building to freely and safely worship in, sometimes not. There are some within my own parish who escaped from the Soviet Union and fled because of their faith. Some of the stories they share will erase any thought that God is limited to a four sided building.

Given the response from you, you seemed to think that I was saying God is limited to a building that I am blessed to get to most Sundays. I am merely stating that that is not what I meant. I am merely stating that I would not attend a non-Orthodox church because I see God with the greatest clarity within the Orthodox Church. I would not want that clarity to be clouded and then lead me astray.

And my response came about because you seemed to think that what I was saying was that I was unsure wheather the Holy Spirit was present in the EOC. What I was originally trying to say though is that EOC members seem to box God into their church. And the reason why I get that feeling is because of how you express this in the last paragraph of this post of your's. You ask the question whether the Holy Spirit is outside the Orthodox Church, you say you're sure He is but you don't know where. I'd like to ask, if you know the Holy Spirit, how is it you don't know where He is outside the EOC? I see him everywhere in people in all kinds of churches. And since you are so sure that He is outside of the EOC, why do you sound so uninterested in finding out where outside the EOC He may be and what He is doing outside the EOC? Aren't you the least but interested? I know I am!

All I know, where ever the Holy Spirit is I want to know what He is doing, whether it's in the EOC or in a Baptist church, or a non-denominational church. Where ever He is He is doing a work in his people and one of the best ways to get to know the Holy Spirit is to find out what He is doing no matter where He is doing it. You wont learn that inside one Church organization. And what I'm talking about are moves of God and revivals in both groups of people and individually. I know one thing, I am always blessed and edified to hear and learn what the Holy Spirit is doing in his people no matter whether they belong to my denomination or not.

Is the Holy Spirit outside of the Orthodox Church? I'm sure He is, but I don't know where. All I know is that He is within the Orthodox Church and that is good enough for me because when it comes down to it, I'm just a simple man :)
It may seem "good enough" to you but to me that is limiting yourself in what you can learn. Which I hope you understand I am not saying is a bad thing, I'm talking about my preference here. I don't want to settle for being just a simple man, I want to be special. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,177,984.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
All I know, where ever the Holy Spirit is I want to know what He is doing, whether it's in the EOC or in a Baptist church, or a non-denominational church. Where ever He is He is doing a work in his people and one of the best ways to get to know the Holy Spirit is to find out what He is doing no matter where He is doing it. You wont learn that inside one Church organization. And what I'm talking about are moves of God and revivals in both groups of people and individually. I know one thing, I am always blessed and edified to hear and learn what the Holy Spirit is doing in his people no matter whether they belong to my denomination or not.
I think you will find that most of the Orthodox on these forums were not raised in the Orthodox Church. We have seen and experienced the life of the Holy Spirit in other Churches and find that there is no comparison with what we have seen and experienced in the Orthodox Church.

John

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think you will find that most of the Orthodox on these forums were not raised in the Orthodox Church. We have seen and experienced the life of the Holy Spirit in other Churches and find that there is no comparison with what we have seen and experienced in the Orthodox Church.

John
I would say you are not understanding what I am talking about. I was born and raised in the RCC, I have been a member of Baptist churches for short periods of time, and I have been a member of AOG churches for short periods of time. Just because I no longer am a member of these churches does not mean I am uninterested in what the Holy Spirit is doing in those churces today or don't know whether He resides in the people of those churches, in fact I know He does. I don't question whether He does or where He is. I do question what He is doing with and for the people in those churches. See, E.C. sounds like he believes the Holy Spirit resides in an organization, I don't. The organization he believes He resides in is the EOC, However I believe He resides in all his people, whether they are members of the EOC or not.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟135,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would say you are not understanding what I am talking about. I was born and raised in the RCC, I have been a member of Baptist churches for short periods of time, and I have been a member of AOG churches for short periods of time. Just because I no longer am a member of these churches does not mean I am uninterested in what the Holy Spirit is doing in those churces today or don't know whether He resides in the people of those churches, in fact I know He does. I don't question whether He does or where He is. And I also don't question where the Holy Spirit is, I do question what he is doing with and for the people in those churches. See, you sound like you believe the Holy Spirit resides in an organization, I don't. The organization you believe He resides in is the EOC, However I believe He resides in all his people, whether they are members of the EOC or not.
What the Holy Spirit does for the non-Orthodox Christians is between them and Him.

Given my faith in Him, I'm sure that whatever He is doing is for the glory of God. Given my spiritual journey from Catholicism to nothing to looking into Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, Rastafarianism and a bunch of other isms, to Catholicism again and eventually to Orthodoxy over a period of sixteen years of my life; I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about when I say that I see the Holy Spirit in the Orthodox Church with greatest clarity thus it only makes sense that He is there. Basically: I was not raised in Orthodoxy since the womb here.
Some days I may feel like it, but that is not the case! :D

I do not believe that He is limited to the Orthodox Church. I just know that He is here because I see Him manifest and His works preserved. However He effects the others is not my worry as that is between them and Him. Not I. That would lead me to judge the non-Orthodox which would lead me to great anger both of which are terrible sins. I wish to avoid that.

But of course all of that is almost irrelevant when we consider something: wherever He is, is He listened to? ;)

Maybe we're talking past each other here or reading into the posts too much :blush: All I am really saying is that I see Him within the Orthodox Church with greatest clarity thus it only stands to reason that He is here. Is He outside the Church? I'm sure He is, but that is His worry and not mine.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What the Holy Spirit does for the non-Orthodox Christians is between them and Him.
So you only care what the Holy Spirit is doing inside the lives of the people who share your church membership and could careless what He is doing in the lives of anybody else? You may not have meant it to sound that way but it kinda did.

Given my faith in Him, I'm sure that whatever He is doing is for the glory of God. Given my spiritual journey from Catholicism to nothing to looking into Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, Rastafarianism and a bunch of other isms, to Catholicism again and eventually to Orthodoxy over a period of sixteen years of my life; I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about when I say that I see the Holy Spirit in the Orthodox Church with greatest clarity thus it only makes sense that He is there. Basically: I was not raised in Orthodoxy since the womb here.
Some days I may feel like it, but that is not the case! :D

Well, ok, so you see the Holy Spirit more clearly in the EOC, I got that already, but is that what we're really talking about here? My original post was really about being in a place where God puts us. For the new or immature christian that will most likely be in a place where they will see him more clearly, but for the mature christian sometimes that may mean being in a place where there isn't a whole lot of him in evidence amongst the people. God is always more interested in advanceing his kingdom. And getting back to the topic of the thread, so if that means attending a church where you don't agree with everything taught then so be it. It's better to obey the Lord and go down the path He is guiding you on then to create your own path. And yes He does put people in places like this. If you know him, you would realise that He wants to get the most out of you and if that means for us being in a church where we have disagreements, so be it. It's better to obey the lord and see what works He has in store for us to do, then to refuse and do it our way. And I'm not saying you are doing this, I'm just talkin. ;)

For anyone wanting to see the Holy Spirit more clearly all they have to do is look inside themselves because that is where He lives. People seeking the Lord need to study his word, pray, and learn from others who are also being transformed.
2 Corinthians 3:16-18, But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil us taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into the likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

The Spirit of the Lord is in each and everyone of us christians.

I do not believe that He is limited to the Orthodox Church. I just know that He is here because I see Him manifest and His works preserved. However He effects the others is not my worry as that is between them and Him. Not I. That would lead me to judge the non-Orthodox which would lead me to great anger both of which are terrible sins. I wish to avoid that.
Well, I wasn't necessarily talking about how the Holy Spirit effects others. I was talking specifically about what the Holy Spirit is doing himself. I really don't know how it is you see me talking about judgeing others when I specifically talked about what the Holy Spirit is doing, but, oh well.

But of course all of that is almost irrelevant when we consider something: wherever He is, is He listened to? ;)
:thumbsup:

Maybe we're talking past each other here or reading into the posts too much :blush: All I am really saying is that I see Him within the Orthodox Church with greatest clarity thus it only stands to reason that He is here. Is He outside the Church? I'm sure He is, but that is His worry and not mine.
I think we both are talking past each other a bit. no worries, go in peace. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just in case you don't know, the Catholic charismatic renewal has been going on since the 60's and now there's millions of charismatic Catholics who worship with the same "enthusiasm" as some of the Pentecostal churches. Minus the over the top ones.

I belong to a non-denominational charismatic church, for the record. ;)

Thanks :) But I've been to a charismatic retreat and I'm not charismatic in that sense. I like it though. The pentacostal churches I've been to seem most like my parish in their love for God and in having a good community. :thumbsup: It's really obvious that they are on fire for God.:clap:

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks :) But I've been to a charismatic retreat and I'm not charismatic in that sense. I like it though. The pentacostal churches I've been to seem most like my parish in their love for God and in having a good community. :thumbsup: It's really obvious that they are on fire for God.:clap:
And those are the kind of churches I would gravitate to and feel more at home with. If I had to pin point an alternate place of worship I could only narrow it down to places where the gifts of the Spirit, as per 1 Corinthians 12, are believed to be for the church today and are in evidence in those who seek them out. That's my perference, but like I was telling E.C., I will go where ever He leads me because I trust him that where ever He puts me I will grow and prosper and do the works that He has prepared for me to do in advance.

I know some people in the Spirit-filled/Pentecostal sub forum where they right now are members of non-charismatic churches but they stay there because they believe that is where God wants them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.