Orthodox, Catholic representatives issue ‘challenging recommendation’ on interfaith marriage

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As interfaith marriages can carry unique theological and pastoral challenges, Orthodox and Catholic Church representatives released earlier this week the latest guidance on these Catholic-Orthodox marriages in more than 30 years.

The Pastoral Care of Mixed Marriages: Neither Yours nor Mine — but Ours” is a self-proclaimed “dialogue statement” between Catholic and Orthodox representatives that has “no authority” on either Church but instead offers recommendations to theologians and Church leaders.

Most notably, the document recommends that the Orthodox Church recognize Catholic marriage and the Catholic Church take steps to recognize Orthodox remarriages.

Dialogue, not declaration​

The North American Orthodox-Catholic Theological Consultation, which wrote the recommendations, was “sanctioned by the hierarchies of the two churches to examine divisive issues and to make recommendations regarding ways to overcome them,” according to their website.

“Our Churches are working to overcome and heal the centuries-old separation,” the Consultation noted, adding: “We still stand before the Lord and sadly confess that our estrangement is not healed.”

Continued below.

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟23,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but an orthodox Christian must marry inside the Orthodox Church, or they will be excommunicated. Right?
I don't think this is correct, here's an OCA Synod encyclical on mixed marriages for example: Holy Synod - Encyclicals - On Marriage
The Church does tolerate mixed marriages, i.e., marriages between Orthodox and non-Orthodox Christians, because of her pastoral concern and love for her faithful, and in our day such marriages are at least as numerous as marriages between two Orthodox. Yet, mixed marriages should not be considered perfectly “normal.” They are allowed, but in the hope that the heterodox husband or wife will be sanctified by the Orthodox partner in the marriage and eventually come fully to embrace the Orthodox Faith and to seek entrance into the Church.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
As interfaith marriages can carry unique theological and pastoral challenges, Orthodox and Catholic Church representatives released earlier this week the latest guidance on these Catholic-Orthodox marriages in more than 30 years.

The Pastoral Care of Mixed Marriages: Neither Yours nor Mine — but Ours” is a self-proclaimed “dialogue statement” between Catholic and Orthodox representatives that has “no authority” on either Church but instead offers recommendations to theologians and Church leaders.

Most notably, the document recommends that the Orthodox Church recognize Catholic marriage and the Catholic Church take steps to recognize Orthodox remarriages.

Dialogue, not declaration​

The North American Orthodox-Catholic Theological Consultation, which wrote the recommendations, was “sanctioned by the hierarchies of the two churches to examine divisive issues and to make recommendations regarding ways to overcome them,” according to their website.

“Our Churches are working to overcome and heal the centuries-old separation,” the Consultation noted, adding: “We still stand before the Lord and sadly confess that our estrangement is not healed.”

Continued below.
So to accept this the Catholic Church would have to accept divorce of validly married spouses and remarriage of people validly married to others?

Upvote 0