Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Okay I guess I'll try my hand at this one. If there were no PCA churches near me then the first others I would look for would be (in no particular order):

OPC
URCNA
Conservative EPC

The exact order would probably vary depending on the local congregations.

Upvote 0

synger

Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Podcasts for the win.

I don't think I'd ever want to attend a church that doesn't offer the real presence of Christ in Word and Sacrament, or that doesn't teach Law and Gospel rightly divided. (though I did go to a Presbyterian church on Father's Day where the sermon was amazingly Lutheran in perspective! I was surprised, especially as I grew up Presbyterian, and seldom heard both Law and Gospel in a sermon).

However, I do not think I would want to merely do family Orders of Worship (though we've done occasionally it on Sundays when we could not attend our church for some reason or another). The Church is a community of faith. God's grace is present in the word and sacrament, where we are fed and strengthened for his work in the world. I would not want to give up those gifts, nor the opportunity to joyously respond to those gifts with worship and service with other believers.

I think it would be a very difficult decision for our family. Real presence is very important, so that narrows the field quite a bit. Catholic emphasis on works has been a stumbling block since the Reformation. And I know very little about the Orthodox.

I pray it never comes to that sort of decision.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.