You know you're a Seventh-day Adventist if . . . .

Princessdi

Oct 13, 2005
✟15,713.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, BFA. Hymns Like " A Mighty Fortress" are pretty universal in churches. So is "Amazing Grace" set to the tune of " Oh Danny Boy".

. . . You use a hymnal that includes lyrics that have been changed from the original lyrics penned by the author.

BFA

P.S. Although this may happen in other denominations too, I haven't yet found evidence of it.

Upvote 0

Joe67

Sep 8, 2008
✟8,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, BFA. Hymns Like " A Mighty Fortress" are pretty universal in churches. So is "Amazing Grace" set to the tune of " Oh Danny Boy".

"Alas and did my savior bleed and did my Sovereign die..." has had some alterations by non-SdAs.

One of the alterations added the chorus and title change to "At the cross..."

I think it has even been written in different timings (3/4 and 4/4).

When I stopped attending the SdA church as a member (30 years ago) and began attending Baptist/Methodist/non-denominational local churches, I thought that SdAs was the only group with habits of informational denial/neglect. It was my sad experience that all groups do this, with the good intention of keeping their group together (whether it is a local non-denom or a more connected group through association or conference).

Solomon did this when stating why David could not build the temple. It sounds like David was too busy fighting wars. When we would do good, iniquity is present with us. "Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord does not impute his iniquities." "Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity." "Depart from me you workers of iniquity, for I never knew you." "The Lord knows his own."

"I will bless those that bless you. I will curse those that curse you."

"Bless those that curse you..."

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

Joe

Upvote 0

Joe67

Sep 8, 2008
✟8,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a reason I collect hymnals. I am flat flabergasted in some of the differences. I can pick them up at a second store sometimes. Ususally a buck or less.
scratch,

We all need to grow and change. This is the farmers hope.

The Lord's wisdom is the wonderful counsel of the farmer.

Isa 28:29
29 This also cometh forth from the LORD of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working. KJV

Joe

Upvote 0

Princessdi

Oct 13, 2005
✟15,713.00
Faith
Christian
You know, my Mother bought me one of these...i think I gave it away. I have no love for that paraphrase. I'll take old,[Shakesperean] English KJV over it any day. Prefer The Message, though, as it reads more like a story.

. . . You own a Clear Word Bible that includes portions of the writings of Ellen G. White intermingled with passages of Scripture.

BFA

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'll take old,[Shakesperean] English KJV over it any day.

Amen, using alternative versions for comparison for study purposes is ok but I would not have my primary Bible anything but the KJV.

Btw, i just received my KJV Study Bible... love the EG White commentaries!

Upvote 0

Princessdi

Oct 13, 2005
✟15,713.00
Faith
Christian
That is exactly why I don't like the Clear Word Paraphrase, toomuch implied commentary.

Amen, using alternative versions for comparison for study purposes is ok but I would not have my primary Bible anything but the KJV.

Btw, i just received my KJV Study Bible... love the EG White commentaries!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rottiedog

Feb 11, 2011
USA
✟7,786.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I finally read this whole thread. It's interesting how I've been a member of an SDA church for a year and a half but am apparently not really all that SDA. I couldn't relate to any of it (except the haystack thing). Maybe it's because I wasn't raised in the Adventist culture or maybe it's because I'm a member of a relatively liberal congregation.

Our pastor wasn't raised Adventist, the associate pastor was raised Hindu, the pastor's wife wears makeup, my friends (all members of the church) and I show up in biker leathers every first Sabbath of the month, and one of my friends (SDA also) ordered clam chowder for dinner (he did make a point to comment on how delicious the "chicken noodle soup" was - - ha ha).

The vice president of my ministry group is a Starbucks addict and she and I both have tattoos. We hold a Friday night biker church at which the music could sometimes rival a rock concert (the event was successfully approved by two separate church boards).

Anyway, you know you're an Adventist if you don't mistake the meatless potlucks for PETA events.

Upvote 0

Princessdi

Oct 13, 2005
✟15,713.00
Faith
Christian
Rottie! There you are! My Pastor said he would be glad if you and all your friends showed up with your bikes.....In fact, since last we spoke Pastor Montanez is interning t our church.......LOL!!! Come on down!

I finally read this whole thread. It's interesting how I've been a member of an SDA church for a year and a half but am apparently not really all that SDA. I couldn't relate to any of it (except the haystack thing). Maybe it's because I wasn't raised in the Adventist culture or maybe it's because I'm a member of a relatively liberal congregation.

Our pastor wasn't raised Adventist, the associate pastor was raised Hindu, the pastor's wife wears makeup, my friends (all members of the church) and I show up in biker leathers every first Sabbath of the month, and one of my friends (SDA also) ordered clam chowder for dinner (he did make a point to comment on how delicious the "chicken noodle soup" was - - ha ha).

The vice president of my ministry group is a Starbucks addict and she and I both have tattoos. We hold a Friday night biker church at which the music could sometimes rival a rock concert (the event was successfully approved by two separate church boards).

Anyway, you know you're an Adventist if you don't mistake the meatless potlucks for PETA events.

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Try posting this in the Trad Ad section and see what response you get. :)

Upvote 0

JohnMarsten

Jul 18, 2011
✟9,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well if you did it would be grounds for being kicked out of church considering at an SDA baptism you agree to not drink alcohol.

another unbiblical theme, having to agree to something that is not biblical in order be baptized, as for me I told one of them pastors that I do drink from time to time, he said thats Ok. That was when I learned its all about living healthily... if you were to kick out each and everyone that is not living healthily, only few people would remain, another remnant ;)

Upvote 0

JohnMarsten

Jul 18, 2011
✟9,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, they should update their manual. The Kettering SDA church teaches that alcohol should be abstained if they want to be baptized.

were do you find that in the bible... is this some sort of a nazi germany twilight zone where people no longer realize what is going on?? you neither find the command not to drink alcohol nor the command to get rid of everything before baptizm (baptizm is in fact an outward sign,the thing that is happening spiritually takes a life long), now think about it for a second, somebody is a smoker and cant give up smoking, he wants to be baptized though... maybe he'll never give up... but what if somebody is a glutton?? I mean I have seen many fat ladies in the church (fat gentleman as well) why not kick them out because they dont fit in, contrary to drinking alcohol there is actually mention not to have our stomachs rule over us...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.