What evidence do you have in your life that says you know God?

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
What does the Title of the thread say?

"What evidence do you have in your life that says you know God?"
Okay, what words in this question above make you assume that the evidence that you know God is man made that would lead to boasting?
I just do not see that in the question I asked for this thread.
What words in my question make you think it is man acting alone of his own righteousness?
Well, no such words suggest such a thing within the question for the Title of this Thread.
Only if one impresses a wrong thought upon my question (that is not actually present in the words of my question) does one see the wrong conclusion.

For example if one has the Spirit, then they would naturally have the fruits of the Spirit.
For the fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

This would be evidence that a person can say that they know God.
In fact, this answer fits the question better than your wrong assumption because it would be in line with related evidence that is directly connected to knowing God. It is not some outside external element of what man is doing here. Nowhere does the question even suggest such a thing.

And that would be number three on the list of how to spot a legalist....

3. They are “fruit inspectors” and hypothesize how much spiritual fruit a person must produce in order to truly be saved.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

3. They are “fruit inspectors” and hypothesize how much spiritual fruit a person must produce in order to truly be saved.

Why not just discern whether it's good or bad fruit?

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So Jason...you were not asking for opinions or what people really thought of their walk...you wanted to lure people into the question so you can tell them they are wrong?

What he wrote was spot on.
Amen to your amen, sister.

Most of us who have the Holy Spirit as our counselor can see right through Jason's motives with any new thread he starts.

His "ministry" (as he readily has admitted in his forum profile) is that of an "anti-OSAS evangelist".

Everything he does here is aimed at undermining the faith of believers in their salvation.

In answer to his question in the OP though, as evidence that I am saved I will mention one very small thing about myself and others here that I have noticed that shows that the Holy Spirit is active in our lives.

God says that we as believers should have some insight into the methods of those like Jason simply because we have the Holy Spirit to help us with doing that.

Many here can see right through Jason as clearly as looking through a plate glass window.

His posts in the forum are long and well practiced from his many hours on the internet. But his theology, just as his reason for "ministry" is really quite shallow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
See Jason. Comments like this "You have a lot of hostility towards me involving the topic of this thread." are proof positive of the failings of the written word in place of face to face communications and is exactly why we owe it to people that read our posts to be concise, explicit, and detailed in what it is that we are saying and why. I have no hostility towards you. I really do not. I do not know you personally. I do not believe you made any of your comments about me from a position of personal attacks because you also do not know me.

Actually I answered your questions. In my first post on this thread I answered your questions. Apparently you either did not like my answers or forgot that I had answered that and decided to focus on my pointing out the ambiguous original set of questions.

I know this was to ToBeLoved, but I had answered this for you and explained why.
Evidence from Merriam-Webster
- An outward sign
- Something that furnishes proof

So your original question is "What proof or what outward sign do you have in your life that says you know God?" No one but God knows my heart so any outward sign is going to manifest itself in works. When you start to talk about works you leave yourself open actually boasting, or at the very least being perceived as boasting.

This was not part of the original post so in the context of the original post this is irrelevant....which is the point I have been making to you...your original post was ambiguous....

And no, you used the wrong word in the wrong question, it was not detailed enough and as I have said, your original question could lead to someone listing works.

But here is the problem...you used the word evidence. How can you prove you have love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, etc.? For me to know you have these, you have to perform works that represent those fruits.

<edit was to correct typo>

May the Lord's love shine upon you.
And may you please be well.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic

Do you think people are aware that you a Christian by the way you speak and act?

Hi,

This is not a good morning for me to answer this question in my life.

The evidence that I have, that I know God, is that what I know of God, is always what That Book, The Bible says about Him.

Never once, has any personal knowledge or contact with God, ever not been in The Bible somewhere.

It's not that I know if people are aware of my Christianity, it is the changes I see in them by God, merely because God is with me or in me, Communally.

Communally means, if and only if I do my part, by getting to know God and hang out with God, in my personally assigned Romans 14 ways, then The God of the universe, changes others.

Romans 14, in this context of Communing, and as it applies to me, I don't think anyone here can normally handle.

But, I see ways others commune with God, that match mine identically in effect.

Reading the Bible. Studying The Bible. Doing what it says to do, merely because it is in there leads to Communing.

Your choice, to fear, in that way, The Lord, the choice stated in Proverbs 2 or 3, is then followed by your searching, for what that means.

Communing with God, is finding out anything, that involves doing things God's actual way.

For me, when I am communing, God changes others, just by me being me, in their presence.

And remember, it is never me. It is God with me. It is God doing the changes.

I get to watch.

LOVE,

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Do you think people are aware that you a Christian by the way you speak and act?

I have no merit in and of myself. It's entirely possible, and very likely that, an unbeliever can be a better husband, father, neighbor, or friend than I am. So, from the outside looking in, one might not be able to tell, and thank God it's not about me and my life; it's about Jesus and His life and death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

If I were a Baptist, I would give you a loud, "Amen" on this point.

Fruit inspectors, and those who cause people to look inward for proof of their Christianity do untold damage to the flock.

The only proof I have is found the in God-man nailed to a cross 2,000 years ago.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟9,581.00
Faith
Baptist
I have a couple of times. It doesn't go over very well. . .
ROFL...now that is funny. I guess I never realized the Presbyterians frowned upon that. Been to Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, and a couple of others and does not seem to be an issue. Interesting...will have to file that for future reference if I ever visit one.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

This is not a good morning for me to answer this question in my life.

The evidence that I have, that I know God, is that what I know of God, is always what That Book, The Bible says about Him.

Never once, has any personal knowledge or contact with God, ever not been in The Bible somewhere.

It's not that I know if people are aware of my Christianity, it is the changes I see in them by God, merely because God is with me or in me, Communally.

Communally means, if and only if I do my part, by getting to know God and hang out with God, in my personally assigned Romans 14 ways, then The God of the universe, changes others.

Romans 14, in this context of Communing, and as it applies to me, I don't think anyone here can normally handle.

But, I see ways others commune with God, that match mine identically in effect.

Reading the Bible. Studying The Bible. Doing what it says to do, merely because it is in there leads to Communing.

Your choice, to fear, in that way, The Lord, the choice stated in Proverbs 2 or 3, is then followed by your searching, for what that means.

Communing with God, is finding out anything, that involves doing things God's actual way.

For me, when I am communing, God changes others, just by me being me, in their presence.

And remember, it is never me. It is God with me. It is God doing the changes.

I get to watch.

LOVE,

Usually, anyone who is resistant to the message that they have to prove that God lives within them (as per 2 Corinthians 13:5) is usually of the Eternal Security camp. This is very odd because Catholics are very much against Eternal Security. Is this true? Do you believe in Eternal Security?

Granted, I am also not in agreement with the Catholic religion for many reasons. I believe it is unbiblical to pray to Mary, or contact the dead by prayer. I believe it is unbiblical to even have an appearance of bowing down before idols (even though that is not what what you are doing supposedly). I believe the Eucharist is also unbiblical. For we do not see the Lord's supper turned into some kind of mystic magical practice later by the disciples. The Lord's supper was supposed to be done in remembrance of Him and not in a partaking of Him. Christians already have the Lord living in them. What need do they have for taking drink and food so as to partake of Him again? That doesn't make any sense. Then there is the confessing of sins to a man instead of to Jesus alone. Scripture says Jesus is our only mediator between God (the Father) and man. A reading of 1 John 1 and 1 John 2 should clear that type of confusion up quickly. For John says we are not to sin, but if we do sin we have an advocate named Jesus Christ that we can go to. There is no physical priesthood order upon this Earth anymore. All believers are the kings and priests in Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have no merit in and of myself. It's entirely possible, and very likely that, an unbeliever can be a better husband, father, neighbor, or friend than I am. So, from the outside looking in, one might not be able to tell, and thank God it's not about me and my life; it's about Jesus and His life and death.
Well, if that is what you believe, then you would be ignoring Scripture, my friend.

For Jesus says,

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven" (Matthew 5:16).​

Jesus also says,

"You give glory to my Father when you produce a lot of fruit and therefore show that you are my disciples." (John 15:8 GW).​

And Peter says,

"Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when he judges the world." (1 Peter 2:12 NLT).​

Paul says,

"That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;" (Philippians 2:15).​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟9,581.00
Faith
Baptist
Jason
Usually, anyone who is resistant to the message that they have to prove that God lives within them (as per 2 Corinthians 13:5) is usually of the Eternal Security camp.
Please show where anyone here that believes in eternal security does not believe/know/think they have to do good works after salvation? I am sure you will find none.

The catch is...those that understand eternal security (which you don't), understand that doing those good works, living righteously, etc is not tied to their salvation as the Bible says. They do those things, they prove themselves just as you do, only they do it for a different reason...you do it out of fear of losing your salvation, they do it out of love for a God who showed them mercy and saved their souls.

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jason

Please show where anyone here that believes in eternal security does not believe/know/think they have to do good works after salvation? I am sure you will find none.

You dont' have far to go then. Just read Post #49.

The catch is...those that understand eternal security (which you don't), understand that doing those good works, living righteously, etc is not tied to their salvation as the Bible says. They do those things, they prove themselves just as you do, only they do it for a different reason...you do it out of fear of losing your salvation, they do it out of love for a God who showed them mercy and saved their souls.

Then you haven't read or understood Titus 1:16 then. For it says,

"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate."

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then you haven't read or understood Titus 1:16 then. For it says,

"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate."...

You don't see this passage brought up by the Reformed crowd. Without works, man denies God, being a reprobate in good works. Without works a man is abominable and disobedient. Yet, they will say man is saved without works, which Paul calls a reprobate.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't see this passage brought up by the Reformed crowd. Without works, man denies God, being a reprobate in good works. Without works a man is abominable and disobedient. Yet, they will say man is saved without works, which Paul calls a reprobate.

Yes, I agree. Many will quote Ephesians 2:8-9 in this instance. But they are failing to realize that Ephesians 2:8-9 is talking about initial salvation or Justification. For Ephesians 2:8-9 is speaking of salvation as a gift, and verse 13 says we (Gentiles) were brought near by the blood of Christ. Also, verse 18 says that thru Jesus we have access to one Spirit under the Father. So this is talking about the receiving of one's faith and how we are ultimately justified and saved (Which is by his mercy and grace) (Justification). This then leads us to Sanctification in Ephesians 2:10 that says, "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them." So we are created in Christ Jesus for good works and we are fore-ordained by God that we should walk in them.

So when we first come to the Lord, we can have an assurance of salvation apart from any kind of works just by simply repenting of our sins and accepting Jesus as our Savior (Ephesians 2:8-9). Then from there, the Lord will then work in our hearts and lives to do of His good will and pleasure (Ephesians 2:10).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟9,581.00
Faith
Baptist
Jason

Post #49? You mean where ThatBrain says that it is not about him and his life but about Jesus? Or that it is possible that an unbeliever could be a better person than he is? Where does he say he does not have to do good works?

Titus 1:16...know it and understand it. You may not though. Titus 1:10 sort of sets the context of "They profess to know God" because it says "especially those of the circumcision" Those that profess to know God in verse 16 are Jews. Also note verse 15 "To the pure, all things are pure" (that is the saved people) "but to those who are defiled and unbelieving," This is the unsaved people because they are UNBELIEVING "nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled"

Yes, I agree. Many will quote Ephesians 2:8-9 in this instance. But they are failing to realize that Ephesians 2:8-9 is talking about initial salvation or Justification. For Ephesians 2:8-9 is speaking of salvation as a gift, and verse 13 says we (Gentiles) were brought near by the blood of Christ. Also, verse 18 says that thru Jesus we have access to one Spirit under the Father. So this is talking about the receiving of one's faith and how we are ultimately justified and saved (Which is by his mercy and grace) (Justification). This then leads us to Sanctification in Ephesians 2:10 that says, "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them." So we are created in Christ Jesus for good works and we are fore-ordained by God that we should walk in them.
There is no failing to realize anything here. There is failure on your part to interject the concept of "initial" salvation. Because the Bible does not say that. "Saved by grace through faith" .... "S-a-v-e-d" Merriam Webster has this to say about the word "to rescue or deliver from danger or harm" Paul says in Romans 5:9 "Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him" That means that because Christ paid the penalty of sin by His death, we have been justified (M-W again "to prove or show to be just") then we shall not face the wrath of God.

So it is because Christ paid that penalty that we are now just before God. When God looks for sin, He sees none in us for we are Justified through the blood of Christ. Never do we see in the Bible that a person can be "saved again" from God's wrath.

So when we first come to the Lord, we can have an assurance of salvation apart from any kind of works just by simply repenting of our sins and accepting Jesus as our Savior (Ephesians 2:8-9). Then from there, the Lord will then work in our hearts and lives to do of His good will and pleasure (Ephesians 2:10).
Now this I agree with...this is describing sanctification, which is not a condition for salvation, it is a condition because of salvation.

Upvote 0