Now that youve known life

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Let's say for a second that what the atheists say is true and there is no life after death and all you experience when you die is nothingness. Do you find the idea of going to sleep and never waking up again terrifying or not?

Obviously if you've never existed this wouldn't be a big deal. But now that you've known life and known it for a short while, would the idea of an eternal death haunt you? Is Jesus's promise of eternal life so tempting that we couldn't imagine life without it? Like, if we were born in a world with no God, no beginning to life no nothing we just exist for 80 years say hello and then say goodbye forever.

We just happened to be born on the one planet in an infinite amount of galaxies that has provable life. No God created it, it's just always existed for billions and billions of years.

Idk, now that I've tasted life I find the idea of an eternal death terrifying. I'm just wondering if im really alone on that one or if a vast majority of humanity feels that way and that's why we invent God's of our own making to somehow eliminate our fear of death.

Don't get me wrong, God exists there is a life after this one, and Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. I'm just starting a hypothetical debate here.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's say for a second that what the atheists say is true and there is no life after death and all you experience when you die is nothingness. Do you find the idea of going to sleep and never waking up again terrifying or not?

Obviously if you've never existed this wouldn't be a big deal. But now that you've known life and known it for a short while, would the idea of an eternal death haunt you?
How would anyone ever know?
When we wake up in the morning, we know we are still alive and there is still life, because we are here - saying, doing, living, thinking.
If we went to sleep one night, never woke up and there was nothing afterwards, we would not exist We would not be able to experience nothingness - we would surely have to exist in some form to be able to consciously think, "so there is nothing after all" or "this is nothingness".

If there was nothing at all after death our spirits/souls would be as dead as our bodies. They wouldn't exist in any other form, and certainly wouldn't be able to "watch over us", or to send us health/blessings as some people seem to think. (As in "my grandma sent me a baby girl.". Nor would they be able to float off to some other place, because there wouldn't be one; only nothingness.

In my, limited, experience, people may say they don't believe in God but they will still say, or want to believe, that "Mum is watching over me", or "my brother's gone to a better place". So they believe in life after death.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Once it happens you're right there probably wouldnt be anything scary or anything because it wou,d be nothingness afterwards. I'm talking about just the idea of an eternal death. Like does that idea frighten you? We believe in Jesus and that there is life after death. Giving us comfort that when we die we will enter Christ's presence and that we will live and continue living even though we die.

But the idea of an eternal death while you're alive can be scary. Never knowing when you will die or when you will go to sleep and never wake up again. I personally would spend every night afraid that when I fall asleep I might not ever wake up. Just personally.

If we never existed there wouldn't be anything to worry about. But since we have known a short life and wake up every morning alive. The idea of never waking up again can be very scary.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Once it happens you're right there probably wouldnt be anything scary or anything because it wou,d be nothingness afterwards. I'm talking about just the idea of an eternal death. Like does that idea frighten you?
No.
I find it almost impossible to think about eternal death because I received eternal life long ago.
We believe in Jesus and that there is life after death. Giving us comfort that when we die we will enter Christ's presence
We're in Christ's presence now.
Not only that, he is in us.

But the idea of an eternal death while you're alive can be scary.
Are you talking about spiritual death? Someone who is alive but who's dead in their sin; eternally separated from God?

Never knowing when you will die or when you will go to sleep and never wake up again. I personally would spend every night afraid that when I fall asleep I might not ever wake up.
That is true for every one of us; we are not guaranteed tomorrow.
That is why we need to be ready to meet with God, to live for him every day and to hold our worldly possessions lightly.
Unless someone is terminally ill, I would guess that most people do not go to be thinking "I may not wake tomorrow". If they really thought that was a possibility, they would be too scared to go to sleep. Most people go to be with their heads full of plans, thoughts, hopes and so on.

The fact is that there is life after death, and we have either an eternity with God, or an eternity without him. We won't be able to change things after we die; we can change them now.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know what I would think or feel; because I would not be like I am now.

But have I ever been sure there is no life after? No. At times, I have been in question, in my past. But I intended to figure out what I could.

So, I have never been absolutely sure that there is no life later; so I can't say what I would decide while like that. I think I would be practical, not push one way or the other. Avoid pain. To avoid pain, I might be willing to die or to live, whichever. But I would not care to avoid dying, mainly to try to avoid pain.

A lot we see now is because there is God and there is "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (in Ephesians 2:2). So, if there was only material existence, and no good God and no evil spiritual beings, things would be very different. Molecules would not develop into beings capable of inventing God who is spiritual, I would say. There would be no idea about God or evil.

Molecules alone would have no need to produce things of loving and hating; they would only act on their physical principles. So, I would say, if I was composed of nothing but molecules acting according to physical principles, I would not even be capable of thinking about such things as the existence of God and living after we die.

Plus, I don't think physical molecules are capable of producing feeling beings who can love and hate and think about spiritual things. At our spiritual level, we do this.

Upvote 0

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'll put it like this. Following Christ and the ways of the bible will keep you out of so much pain, trouble, misfortune and disappointment.

If I am wrong as a Christian when I die, I lose nothing. The way I chose to live my life worked well and provided much peace and comfort.
If I am right as a Christian when I die, then those who do not believe, lose everything....

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Obviously if you've never existed this wouldn't be a big deal. But now that you've known life and known it for a short while, would the idea of an eternal death haunt you? Is Jesus's promise of eternal life so tempting that we couldn't imagine life without it? Like, if we were born in a world with no God, no beginning to life no nothing we just exist for 80 years say hello and then say goodbye forever.

We just happened to be born on the one planet in an infinite amount of galaxies that has provable life. No God created it, it's just always existed for billions and billions of years.

Idk, now that I've tasted life I find the idea of an eternal death terrifying. I'm just wondering if im really alone on that one or if a vast majority of humanity feels that way and that's why we invent God's of our own making to somehow eliminate our fear of death.

Don't get me wrong, God exists there is a life after this one, and Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. I'm just starting a hypothetical debate here.
Annihilation is just inconsistent with the God I know-and even the life I know. If I'm wrong, and there's nothing more, then it won't matter anyway. But meanwhile my life here is spent with the firm conviction that there is something more, a conviction that's grown stronger with time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'll put it like this. Following Christ and the ways of the bible will keep you out of so much pain, trouble, misfortune and disappointment.

If I am wrong as a Christian when I die, I lose nothing. The way I chose to live my life worked well and provided much peace and comfort.
If I am right as a Christian when I die, then those who do not believe, lose everything....

Your reasoning reminds me of Pascals wager where theologian Blaise Pascal argued that "If you live your life as if God exists and avoid sin than you gain everything but if there really is no afterlife you also lose nothing by living your life as if he exists. But if God really exists and you live your life as if he doesn't exist than you lose everything. So it is better to live your life as if God exists than not believe in God."

It's a shame that only Christians use his famous argument because it really was quite brilliant thinking.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0