We are not a conservative forum or a liberal forum. Just Catholic.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't identify with either label. I tend to look at things individually and it kind of leaves me in a limbo of sorts. I just don't relate to either mindset.
Conservative Catholic: Catholic attached to tradition and to the Church and its traditional teachings.

Liberal Catholic: I do not really have a definition. It seems like if you are a kind of liberal, people tell you.

The others? As Angelica said, we are all human beings. They are human beings. They are me and they are others. Probably not the answer you were expecting, but this is what I have always been told. From a faith perspective, they are more than unknown human beings, as they share something with me.

Reactions: thehehe
Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks Michie. I think we ALL need to feel safe posting in this place but some make u feel unsafe. We feel we have betrayed one or the other side. Hgs back Michhie. Pryers would be appreciated - am walking throgh te firesat the moment, trying to. Trust in God when all around are losing their hatts, and not get burned

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But we are letting them when we can't see past temporal disagreements. Our faith should unite us. I do not think I would of become Catholic if not for Vatican II. But as a convert I know it is important to tell the truth in what the Church teaches. Are there nuances? Sure. Some see them and some don't. We can't all be in the same page as far as where we are at spiritually so we kind of have to take that into account and not always assume the worst of those we disagree with.
It's the warfare that is the problem and people trying to scare us. I am both traditionaal,and liberal and all shades in betwen. But the xtrenes want to split us in two

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's right. And I will definitely pray for you. I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time. I wish I could help.
Thanks Michie. I think we ALL need to feel safe posting in this place but some make u feel unsafe. We feel we have betrayed one or the other side. Hgs back Michhie. Pryers would be appreciated - am walking throgh te firesat the moment, trying to. Trust in God when all around are losing their hatts, and not get burned

Reactions: anjelica
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
So sick of these stupid labels. They just divide. It has been observed by me though (even though the Church says there is only Catholic, no liberal/conservative nonsense) that there are two types of traditional Catholics. Those that discard Vatican II and those that simply prefer the Latin Mass and worship. Then we come to the ridiculous liberal/conservative labeling. Seem those that hold firmly to black and white Church teaching are seen as conservative. Catholics that don't seem too concerned with the black and white view of things are seen as liberal. Have I got it figured out? What do you think? How do you navigate with this silly labeling?

You are so right; the label depends on who we are talking to, and how interested they really are in the finer details :)

Christian
Anglican
Church of England
Anglo Catholic.
Liberal Anglo Catholic.

Theologically (very) conservative, socially liberal, so I am both conservative and liberal, and neither. There really is no label that covers the complexity, and I am pretty sure the same would be true of everyone else as well.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are probably only 110% correct! :D
So do I. I know I am not a conservative, but I never considered myself a Liberal. Perhaps I do not know who I am. I always thought the answer was "a Catholic"..

Reactions: thehehe
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Amen sister. Or hypocrites or bigots for simply repeating what the church teaches. Some seem to want an audience of nodding bobbleheads! Lol :D So incredibly stupid these lables are.

I like bobbleheads. :)

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

God be with you, Anjelica. x

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you are correct. That is what drives me crazy with the broadbrushing. I think it is dehumanizing but others see it as street cred or something. Lol
You are so right; the label depends on who we are talking to, and how interested they really are in the finer details :)

Christian
Anglican
Church of England
Anglo Catholic.
Liberal Anglo Catholic.

Theologically (very) conservative, socially liberal, so I am both conservative and liberal, and neither. There really is no label that covers the complexity, and I am pretty sure the same would be true of everyone else as well.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
There is no such thing as just plain Catholic Christian or plain Christian one is either conservative in their out look or liberal in their outlook, there is no separating that at all.

But who decides what these terms mean? I suspect liberals will think me conservative, and conservatives will think me far too liberal. And I, of course, just think I am the voice of reason. Who decides? :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do. ;) I say the voice of reason.
But who decides what these terms mean? I suspect liberals will think me conservative, and conservatives will think me far too liberal. And I, of course, just think I am the voice of reason. Who decides? :)

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Wwell MY head hasngoten into a TERRIBLE mess wt it lately, and it takes a LOT to do that. Ended up witme flipping the other night. I love Latin Mass but got very vvery scared wh all th stuff being posteed about ati popes etc which ormally I could have dealt with, but not right then. Ended up feeling like I was split in two and had a mini btreakdown the other night. For God's sake, we are all HUMAN BEINGS just trying to negotiate this threatening world

There is no need to fear the Latin Mass; it can be the most beautiful experience. So can other masses, but the Latin is particularly special.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Conservative Catholic: Catholic attached to tradition and to the Church and its traditional teachings.

Liberal Catholic: I do not really have a definition. It seems like if you are a kind of liberal, people tell you.

Liberal Catholic is used as an insult to denote not conservative enough for other people.

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Catherineanne, I do not fear the Latin Mass. I love it and go eevery week. But on the. Self same Sunday I also go to the normal Mass. I love both. But you see, you then get labelled by both sides. I do not wish to be categorise. I live my life as much as I can byLOVE not labels

Upvote 0