We are not a conservative forum or a liberal forum. Just Catholic.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So sick of these stupid labels. They just divide. It has been observed by me though (even though the Church says there is only Catholic, no liberal/conservative nonsense) that there are two types of traditional Catholics. Those that discard Vatican II and those that simply prefer the Latin Mass and worship. Then we come to the ridiculous liberal/conservative labeling. Seem those that hold firmly to black and white Church teaching are seen as conservative. Catholics that don't seem too concerned with the black and white view of things are seen as liberal. Have I got it figured out? What do you think? How do you navigate with this silly labeling?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amen sister. Or hypocrites or bigots for simply repeating what the church teaches. Some seem to want an audience of nodding bobbleheads! Lol :D So incredibly stupid these lables are.
I understand you so much! And Catholics fighting to know which one is the most Catholic is a shame. Even more people saying who is a good Catholic or not. Who are we to judge our own brothers?

Reactions: thehehe
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
So sick of these stupid labels. They just divide. It has been observed by me though (even though the Church says there is only Catholic, no liberal/conservative nonsense) that there are two types of traditional Catholics. Those that discard Vatican II and those that simply prefer the Latin Mass and worship. Then we come to the ridiculous liberal/conservative labeling. Seem those that hold firmly to black and white Church teaching are seen as conservative. Catholics that don't seem too concerned with the black and white view of things are seen as liberal. Have I got it figured out? What do you think? How do you navigate with this silly labeling?

it's not the labeling that is the problem.
labeling is actually helpful because it explains where a person is comming from in their views.
without that, answers that seem to come from out of left field and gob smack us dizzy would be too
numerous to mention.

what is not helpful is the mob retaliation/pile-on/spite reporting, etc. (but that's for the mods to handle.)

Upvote 0

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Not to create an argument but....

...unfortunately the Catholic Answers people with their "non-negotiable" political pamphlets (and it was Catholic Answers not the Church that came up with that particularly egregious piece of disinformation) and the pro-life movement with their absolute refusal to consider any kind of intellectually nuanced stand on abortion (and to some extent equal marriage and transgender rights) has forced themselves into the arms of the increasingly fascist Republican party.

Which certainly makes them look conservative.

And think that's were this all came from.

If we could all just drop this whole "non-negligible" mindset which was rather surreptitiously imprinted on our brains by an organization with a questionable political agenda masquerading as a apologetic website it would likely go a long way to removing the barriers that keep us apart.

For those of you who care this is why I really dislike Jimmy (oh, I'm so cool because I'm a convert and you're not) Akins. Frankly, I think he's a propagandist.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree. Within reason but you got to admit the star bellied sneetch attitude has taken it over the top. We have even had threads citing little studies proclaiming which group is smarter. :rolleyes:
labeling is actually helpful because it explains where a person is comming from in their views.
without that, answers that seem to come from out of left field and gob smack us dizzy would be too
numerous to mention.

what is not helpful is the mob retaliation/pile-on/spite reporting, etc. (but that's for the mods to handle.)

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
labeling is actually helpful because it explains where a person is coming from in their views.
numerous to mention.

Exactly. As much as some try as hard as they can to not be one way or another even they are. It's human nature we need to know where someone stands. There is no such thing as just plain Catholic Christian or plain Christian one is either conservative in their out look or liberal in their outlook, there is no separating that at all. Before I was Catholic I was a conservative Christian, when I was Catholic I was a Conservative Catholic, and as a Liturgical Christian I am a Conservative Liturgical Christian.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Julie.S

Jan 19, 2016
Pennsylvania
✟21,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am always told I am either liberal and or a bad Catholic just because I am not like the other ones. My family tells me I am Catholic and I am. I always have been. Just because I don't do everything the same way does not mean I am not one.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I agree. Within reason but you got to admit the star bellied sneetch attitude has taken it over the top. We have even had threads citing little studies proclaiming which group is smarter. :rolleyes:

nope, i'd still have to say that gang reporting is the root of the problems around here.
we can talk till we're blue in the face, and we have done that. frequently.
but the surest way to stop conversation and shut down a forum is to start a reporting spree.

and there's only one way to stop that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I understand you so much! And Catholics fighting to know which one is the most Catholic is a shame. Even more people saying who is a good Catholic or not. Who are we to judge our own brothers?

but if you saw someone saying racist things, would we not say "that is not in line with what we as Catholics should believe"
so it is not like every action done is above reproach

John 7:24
Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.

Matthew 18:17
If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

we can not be judgmental about the state of the soul
only God can judge the soul
but we can judge actions, if something is sinful
we can judge if a teaching is in line with what the Church teaches

2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

we should not be harsh, but we should be firm in the truth
this is sometimes hard, but we should not act like everything is subjective

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm talking as just catholic christians. We should not let petty labels divide us. They are temporal. The only thing that is eternal is our faith. Yeah there are catholics that lean this way or that but there is one Church and the Church teaches all the same thing. We just have different ways of living and expressing our faith.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I'm talking as just catholic christians. We should not let petty labels divide us. They are temporal. The only thing that is eternal is our faith. Yeah there are catholics that lean this way or that but there is one Church and the Church teaches all the same thing. We just have different ways of living and expressing our faith.
all this ^^^ is true.
but the main question still remains... will all these different ways of living and expressing our faith
get us to where we want to end up?
if not, then we're putting in a whole lot of effort
throwing our nets on the wrong side of the boat, so to speak.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I used to think that there wasn't anything such as liberal or conservative Catholicism and I still think I'm a just a plain Catholic, however that which has been identified here as liberal most closely resembles what I hear from the pulpits and it's to them to whom I most relate.

It's OK. We're a big tent. It's still one Eucharist

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to think that there wasn't anything such as liberal or conservative Catholicism and I still think I'm a just a plain Catholic, however that which has been identified here as liberal most closely resembles what I hear from the pulpits and it's to them to whom I most relate.

It's OK. We're a big tent. It's still one Eucharist
If it's ok then we should certainly see each other as brethren and beyond the labels when dealing with one another.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Wwell MY head hasngoten into a TERRIBLE mess wt it lately, and it takes a LOT to do that. Ended up witme flipping the other night. I love Latin Mass but got very vvery scared wh all th stuff being posteed about ati popes etc which ormally I could have dealt with, but not right then. Ended up feeling like I was split in two and had a mini btreakdown the other night. For God's sake, we are all HUMAN BEINGS just trying to negotiate this threatening world

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Conservative Catholic: Catholic attached to tradition and to the Church and its traditional teachings.

Liberal Catholic: I do not really have a definition. It seems like if you are a kind of liberal, people tell you.

The others? As Angelica said, we are all human beings. They are human beings. They are me and they are others. Probably not the answer you were expecting, but this is what I have always been told. From a faith perspective, they are more than unknown human beings, as they share something with me.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very true Angelica. Sometime our daily struggles combined with things here can create a perfect storm where you just feel ripped open. I wish there was not an us versus them attitude. Add the crazy stuff that is sometimes posted and it can really throw you off. I do hope you are feeling better! :hug:
Wwell MY head hasngoten into a TERRIBLE mess wt it lately, and it takes a LOT to do that. Ended up witme flipping the other night. I love Latin Mass but got very vvery scared wh all th stuff being posteed about ati popes etc which ormally I could have dealt with, but not right then. Ended up feeling like I was split in two and had a mini btreakdown the other night. For God's sake, we are all HUMAN BEINGS just trying to negotiate this threatening world

Reactions: anjelica
Upvote 0