Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why would a male who dresses like a female have a problem using the men's room? Vice versa, a woman who dresses like a man can very easily use the women's room.
Why should women then be the one's that are trespassed upon in the bathroom, the dressing rooms, the locker rooms and even the showers, if a male claims he's a woman, with all his genitalia still in tact, and the only thing that accompanies that claim is his attire? Why should any woman have to suffer what is, by laws older than the concession to this type behavior and demand for right of trespass, indecent exposure of a male in a female designated facility that implies right to privacy.
The world is changing to accommodate one sector of society at the expense of another. That's not equality.

I'm getting dizzy...:eek:

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

You were a "bicentennial baby" like my stepmom; you were both born in 1976, and when she was in college in the 1990s there were already coed bathrooms at her dorms on campus and in her flat on her study abroad. Coed bathrooms are common at college campuses across the country and in various spots around the globe, and they have been for decades. The bathroom on my hall is coed, and it doesn't bother me an itsy bitsy teeny little bitty bit. A voyeur or prankster could hold a camera over a shower or toilet stall, even if the bathrooms were segregated by gender. Someone willing to violate another's privacy so audaciously would likely have little scruples in sneaking into a bathroom for the opposite gender. Thankfully that's not common.

I feel like that article took facts, chopped them up, and threw them on a wok carelessly. No offense intended to you. It's describing the restroom where the two incidents occurred as "gender-neutral" and yet from the description it sounds more like it is simply coed. The picture accompanying the article is of a person in front of what appears to be a single-occupant restroom labeled as gender neutral, and it presumably has a lockable door. I don't think it's the actual bathroom where the violations occurred.

Stanford's had gender neutral housing for years, after students advocated for it. It's not the same as coed in mentality or practicality. The gender neutral bathrooms are single occupant and have lockable doors, much like the one in the photo. It would be considerably harder for a creeper to slither in and take photos of someone showering. Several other universities also have gender neutral housing, and I'd be surprised if Peeping Tom violations such as the one at the U. of Toronto happened in them.

ETA - I read another article about this outta curiosity, and some of the viewpoints made it in are similar to what I've stated above about how having gender segregated bathrooms wouldn't necessarily resolve the problem. The term "gender neutral" has become more politicized in recent years, and I wonder if the university had simply referred to the restrooms as "coed" if this incident would have generated the same controversy outside of the campus community. Of course those living in the residence hall would still feel like their sense of trust had been violated, but I don't know if people living in other countries would have found out about it.

http://thevarsity.ca/2015/10/05/voyeurism-threatens-whitney-hall-stirs-gender-debate/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sahjimira

God of miracles.. He saved ME!
Jul 29, 2015
Florida
✟18,595.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]! If ur physically female use the women's room. If ur physically male use the men's room. Most places it seems have unibathrooms with only one toilet. Not to say some man won't dress up as a woman to go in and peek. What to do?????? I dunno go to the bathroom before u leave home! What a mess......

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]! If ur physically female use the women's room. If ur physically male use the men's room. Most places it seems have unibathrooms with only one toilet. Not to say some man won't dress up as a woman to go in and peek. What to do?????? I dunno go to the bathroom before u leave home! What a mess......

The voyeurism incidents described in the OP took place in a residential hall of a university. It's their home during the school year. Many students are from cities that are many hours away, so if they only used the bathroom at home there truly would a huge mess.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
For six months in 2011 I was on an exchange program with the Canadian Navy. I had a two person stateroom and my roommate was a woman. Well, I guess I should say it was her room and I was a “guest”. They have had this for years and it was no big thing to them. There were no peeping toms or sexual adventures. And we had beer available for meals. When she noticed I was a little concerned she said “do you shut the door when you are in your bath room at home?” yes I replied. “Good, then shut the door here and I will as well.”

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

This would involve trans people who present as male going into women's restrooms and trans people who present as female going into men's restrooms or risk breaking the law by going into the one that matches how they look. This currently results in trans people being harassed or even assaulted--a very real problem up to 70% of trans people have encountered compared to the hypothetical of opportunistic cis-gender males dressing as trans women in order to peek. The truth is, if you follow my previous link, in states where the rights of trans people to use the restroom of their choice has been legislated, it is not resulting in a rash of peepers or rapists. It is, however resulting in trans people being able to relieve themselves in peace.

Just going before one leaves home is not a good solution, though it is what many trans people do, as it can result in health problems such as urinary incontinence developing over time.

This isn't really such a big mess. If we make restrooms safer for those who are at highest risk, they will be safer for everyone.

BTW, have you ever been in a public restroom at the same time as a trans person?

Reactions: Neal82
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For six months in 2011 I was on an exchange program with the Canadian Navy. I had a two person stateroom and my roommate was a woman. Well, I guess I should say it was her room and I was a “guest”. They have had this for years and it was no big thing to them. There were no peeping toms or sexual adventures. And we had beer available for meals. When she noticed I was a little concerned she said “do you shut the door when you are in your bath room at home?” yes I replied. “Good, then shut the door here and I will as well.”
But that's, like, common sense, and doesn't involve righteous indignation and outrage at something new and different! Where's the fun in that?

Reactions: Cute Tink
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟559,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is there a reason why American bathroom partitions insist on having massive gaps top and bottom?

forget the gaps at the top & bottom - the gaps in the door are what's really bad.

Reactions: Glass*Soul
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is there a reason why American bathroom partitions insist on having massive gaps top and bottom?
They are cheaper than fully enclosing the stall.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yet you're all so obsessively concerned about bathroom privacy! Seriously, pick ONE.
Personally I am not THAT obsessed by it. I argue on behalf of the people that are.

But neither those people nor I have anything to do with ordering the stall hardware. I have looked at the price catalogs however. Full length stalls are a LOT more pricey.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Personally I am not THAT obsessed by it. I argue on behalf of the people that are.

But neither those people nor I have anything to do with ordering the stall hardware. I have looked at the price catalogs however. Full length stalls are a LOT more pricey.
I'm sure they are. But if people are that concerned about it, they should insist on them. If they're not prepared to pay more, than I guess it's not that big a deal after all. You know the old saying, "money talks..."?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums