Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That revelation, and being given Words to speak is only for the ordained?

Yes I would much like to go over how that is Biblical:)

Your list sir...

"f...or the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say."- Luke

In times of trial of course and giving you utterance to speak things which no man can disagree with.

"I speak the truth in Christ—I am not lying, my conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit—"- Romans 9:1

"It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things."- 1 Peter 1:12

May we designate them as 1-3?

Number one... You quote from Luke. Please be specific.

As for the other two...

Romans... St. Paul is speaking... he is ordained.

1 Peter speaks for itself... that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven.

They were ordained.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The claim of being personally enlightened by The Holy Spirit on matters of Theology is basic Gnosticism.

For instance: "I was standing over the sink last night when The Holy Spirit laid upon me the meaning of Daniel 8:14".

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Luke 12:12 for the first one

Luke 12:12 is not about scripture or theological matters. Was there something else in Luke you were refering to?

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If theology is reduced to an intellectual pursuit, even within the context of faith, it is bound to fail.

True theology is the experience of God, through ceaseless prayer of the heart. That is why we say that a theologian is one who prays. Not one who reads and studies, though that is good as far as it goes. But we cannot truly know/experience God via our minds only. God comes to the pure in heart.

Mary

:thumbsup:

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
2.) Romans 9:1

"my conscience bearing me witness."
The apostle, besides his appeal to Christ, calls his conscience to witness to the truth of his words; and this is as a thousand witnesses; there is in every man a conscience, which unless seared as with a red hot iron, will accuse or excuse, and bear a faithful testimony to words and actions; and especially a conscience enlightened, cleansed, and sanctified by the Spirit of God, as was the apostle's: hence he adds,

"in the Holy Ghost;"
meaning either that his conscience was influenced and directed by the Holy Ghost in what he was about to say; or it bore witness in and with the Holy Ghost, and the Holy Ghost with that; so that here are three witnesses called in, Christ, conscience, and the Holy Ghost; and by three such witnesses, his words must be thought to be well established.

3.) 1 Peter 1:12: "Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into."

"with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven;"

by Christ from the Father, particularly at the day of Pentecost, when the apostles had an extraordinary and plentiful effusion of the Spirit, qualifying them to preach the Gospel to which they were called and sent: and thus, as the great salvation is commended, from the concern that the prophets of old had in it, so from the preaching of it by the apostles, who were influenced and guided by the same Spirit of Christ as they were, and in a far greater manner; and this salvation is still more commended from the great regard the blessed angels have unto it:

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
by Christ from the Father, particularly at the day of Pentecost, when the apostles had an extraordinary and plentiful effusion of the Spirit, qualifying them to preach the Gospel to which they were called and sent:

Since we are ordained by the Holy Ghost, then most people are alotted to recieve revelation and words to speak.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My statement was:

All we have is what was revealed. The Holy Spirit does not make interpretation for individuals as Christ did for the Apostles.

It was laid down once, for all. We follow.

I am not saying that The Holy Spirit doesn't speak to us, I am saying The Holy Spirit does not speak of Theology and scriptural interpretation to us.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
My statement was:

I am not saying that The Holy Spirit doesn't speak to us, I am saying The Holy Spirit does not speak of Theology and scriptural interpretation to us.

Forgive me...

interesting.. I stated how come the Holy Spirit can't reveal things to us?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
He can, but then too many people equate the teaching ministry of the Holy Spirit with "what I happen to think about this or that."
Yes I know he can :) I was just saying that question because Orthy said he could prove that Holy Ghost does not reveal/teach anything to us through meditation on scriptures or just plain revelation.
Otherwise he said if Holy Ghost did, then it was only to God's ordained/.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
About scripture period.
So I suppose theology falls into that category:cool:

Then I offered my evidence of The Great Disappointment. Great Disappointment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a man who believed The Holy Spirit revealed something to him about scripture (Daniel 8) that was not revealed through any of The Apostolic Churches.

Anyone and everyone is capable of making the same error.

The Holy Spirit revealed scripture to the Apostles. Their lineage has been carrying the information ever since. The scriptures themselves come to us through and from the Apostolic Churches.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2 King

By His Wounds We Are Healed
Jun 5, 2009
Desert
✟17,226.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Here is a man who believed The Holy Spirit revealed something to him about scripture (Daniel 8) that was not revealed through any of The Apostolic Churches.
How does this or the Great Dis.. prove that the general audience cannot recieve revelation from HG?

It just shows that people can be mistaken and/or lying .

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How does this or the Great Dis.. prove that the general audience cannot recieve revelation from HG?

It just shows that people can be mistaken and/or lying .

They were part of the Baptist convention then.

They are the SDA of today.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I offer it as evidence. Not proof.

Is it true or not that the NT scripture comes to us from Christians? The authors ordained members of The Church.

Is it not also true that according to scripture that Christ himself revealed himself in the OT scripture to the Apostles?

Does it not follow that the best chance for the survival of the content and meaning of NT scripture lies with the Churches they themselves taught personally?

Look at ANTIOCH. Sts Peter and Paul both taught there for many years.

Correct theology and interpretation of scripture comes from the same source. From the Apostolic Churches who were taught by the Apostles. The Apostles themselves having been taught by Christ himself.

The Church is liturgical. She repeats everything every year! All we have to do is listen.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.