The first day of the week -- vs -- "the Lord's day" or the new "Sabbath" in the NEW Testament

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Most of us here would agree that the resurrection was on week-day-1 -- (what we call Sunday today).

However when it comes to the New Testament and the weekly day of worship found there --

1. Not ONE text in the NT says "the Sabbath is now kept on the first day of the week"
2. Not ONE text in the NT says "we now keep the first day of the week as the Lord's Day"
3. Not ONE text in the NT says "we meet for worship every week day 1"
4. Not ONE text in the NT says "We meet on week day 1 in honor of the resurrection on week day 1"
5. Not ONE text in the NT says "The Lord's day is on week day 1"

=========== by contrast EVERY reference to the weekly Sabbath in the NT refers to the seventh day of the week - Saturday

Acts 18:4 4 And he (the Apostle Paul) reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks."

Acts 13:42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.

Acts 13:44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God. 45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy; and contradicting and blaspheming, they opposed the things spoken by Paul.

======================================

If this is the case - then keeping week-day-1 instead of the seventh day -- as either "the new Sabbath" or as your own personal "Lord's day" is a preference or a later tradition rather than something that comes to us from the actual New Testament.

The real reason the Seventh Day Adventists are so fixed on this topic,

Try posting an actual Bible fact in response to the OP where specific details are laid out for you? Why avoid the obvious??
the same weak/wrong arguments over and over again,
Prove it - post an actual Bible fact in direct response to the OP that you are avoiding.
Ok, do not avoid it
If this is you -- almost about to respond to the OP -- I look forward to read it.
and tell us - do you believe sabbath keeping is needed
That is not the topic of this thread.

I believe that as both the Baptist Confession of faith sectn 19 and the Westminster Confession of Faith sectn 19 and as Dies Domini states - the TEN Are included in the moral law of God written on the heart under the Jer 31:31-34 NEW Covenant.

But I do not believe that everyone who bows down before images of Mary or who covets or who thinks Sabbath is week-day-1 is lost. (and that is not even the topic of this thread).

Consider actually responding to the OP facts with something that does NOT keep looking like "I AGREE with the OP so can't argue with it - so then lets talk about something else".

But from the previous conversations, I almost certainly know you will not answer any of these.
hmmm - so you admit you have another topic you wish to discuss. Fine - start a thread on your preferred topic and let's see if your "prediction" is true or not.

As it is your posts look a lot like "I AGREE with the OP irrefutable statements, so I can't argue with it - so then lets talk about something else".

=================== and the detailed insightful response?

Is there a Vision of a Halo around the 4th commandment for you?
Are you really that unhappy to see the Bible details in the OP that you refuse to address them?

You are very juvenile.
That is the attention to detail - we might have guessed.

How is this even a tiny bit difficult for the unbiased objective reader to see the avoidance of the OP Bible details?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
this will be a good topic. yes, the law is not the Gospel, as is not based on Faith..Gal 3.
as long as you avoid the new covenant a lot of bad things can be said about the Law of God,

Good thing we can read the New Covenant - in Jer 31:31-34 and Heb 8.

So then "yeah" - no "taking God's name in vain" Ex 20:7 for born-again new Covenant Christians having the Law of God written on the heart.

However when it comes to the New Testament and the weekly day of worship found there --

1. Not ONE text in the NT says "the Sabbath is now kept on the first day of the week"
2. Not ONE text in the NT says "we now keep the first day of the week as the Lord's Day"
4. Not ONE text in the NT says "We meet on week day 1 in honor of the resurrection on week day 1"

=========== by contrast EVERY reference to the weekly Sabbath in the NT refers to the seventh day of the week - Saturday

Acts 18:4 4 And he (the Apostle Paul) reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks."

Acts 13:42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.

Acts 13:44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God. 45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy; and contradicting and blaspheming, they opposed the things spoken by Paul.

No wonder Paul says 1 Cor 7:19 "what matters is keeping the commandments of God"

Where he also adds "the first commandment with a promise" is "Honor your father and mother" Eph 6:2

A lot of creative efforts going into avoiding the details in the OP.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
this will be a good topic. yes, the law is not the Gospel, as is not based on Faith..Gal 3.
The Law written on the heart is part of the NEW Covenant of both Jer 31:31-34 and Heb 8:6-12 and the NEW Covenant is the ONE and ONLY - Gospel Covenant.

details matter even when they are inconvenient.

===========================

That is the Law where as Paul said "The first commandment with a promise" is "Honor your father and mother" Eph 6:2
yes, not the law written on stone tablets
It seems you have not read them - or are not aware of "honor your father and mother" as Paul states it in Eph 6.

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,916.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
as long as you avoid the new covenant a lot of bad things can be said about the Law of God,

Good thing we can read the New Covenant - in Jer 31:31-34 and Heb 8.

So then "yeah" - no "taking God's name in vain" Ex 20:7 for born-again new Covenant Christians having the Law of God written on the heart.

No wonder Paul says 1 Cor 7:19 "what matters is keeping the commandments of God"

Where he also adds "the first commandment with a promise" is "Honor your father and mother" Eph 6:2

thanks Bob, the NC is where people can actually follow Gods Law Not the OC.

there is No command in NC regarding the 7th day to keep it holy, in saying that, in order to keep it Holy we must believe in the Gospel.

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,916.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Law written on the heart is part of the NEW Covenant of both Jer 31:31-34 and Heb 8:6-12 and the NEW Covenant is the ONE and ONLY - Gospel Covenant.

details matter even when they are inconvenient.

===========================

That is the Law where as Paul said "The first commandment with a promise" is "Honor your father and mother" Eph 6:2

It seems you have not read them - or are not aware of "honor your father and mother" as Paul states it in Eph 6.

the law in NC is refer to the Spirit (substance) in which the written code (shadow) of the OC is written about. All commandments fulfill by being in Christ.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
the law in NC is refer to the Spirit
All scripture is given through the Holy Spirit - as we see in 2 Peter 1:21 and 2 Tim 3;15-16.

Jer 31:31-34 was never going to be read as "not the Law of God" and all Bible scholars know it.

31 “Behold, days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers on the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the Lord. 33 “For this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the Lord: “I will put My law within them and write it on their heart; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 They will not teach again, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the Lord, “for I will forgive their wrongdoing, and their sin I will no longer remember.”

God mentions His Law multiple times and never is it called "not the actual Law of God" either in OT or NT.
No wonder the NEW Covenant is OLD Testament.

No wonder scripture says that for ALL eternity after the cross in the New Earth "From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship" Is 66:23

======================

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Isn't that called goading?
Perhaps.

The poster is acting as the sheriff of all posts and whether they are allowed or not.
Telling the world his posts are irrefutable.
Telling others that because of the way they post or fail to, they must agree with him.

Perhaps a better statement. I will change it.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟377,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1708252319154.png

• Winner
Reactions: Gary K
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Perhaps.

The poster is acting as the sheriff of all posts and whether they are allowed or not.
Telling the world his posts are irrefutable.
Telling others that because of the way they post or fail to, they must agree with him.

Perhaps a better statement. I will change it.
I have been given warnings for a lot less than your comment.

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have been given warnings for a lot less than your comment.

Much of his posts are filled with goading.

Regardless, My apologies for the way I commented and addressed it. I need to figure out a better way to do so. And poor behavior should be addressed. Mine and others. Please forgive me.

It is not my place to apologize for another's behavior. I can only apologize for how I address it. I will work in that. Thank you!

Peace and Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Much of his posts are filled with goading.

Regardless, My apologies for the way I commented and addressed it. I need to figure out a better way to do so. And poor behavior should be addressed. Mine and others. Please forgive me.

It is not my place to apologize for another's behavior. I can only apologize for how I address it. I will work in that. Thank you!

Peace and Blessings
Huh? Bob is calling people names? You obviously don't like his answers but that is nothing like calling out people with derogatory terms such a juvenile.

You're welcome for allowing me to help you understand your mistake.

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Huh? Bob is calling people names? You obviously don't like his answers but that is nothing like calling out people with derogatory terms such a juvenile.

You're welcome for allowing me to help you understand your mistake.
I don't recall saying Bob is calling people names.

Peace and Blessings.

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Are you really that unhappy to see the Bible details in the OP that you refuse to address them?

How is this even a tiny bit difficult for the unbiased objective reader to see the avoidance of the OP Bible details?

Bob, your answers often contain scripture but are often unscriptural. Instead, they are ideological and religious in nature. And abuse scripture and ignore context or outright change context. You start the conversation and then finish it yourself for those that disagree. You twist people's responses into somehow you being correct and you being the winner. The winner of what I do not know.

"As it is your posts look a lot like "I AGREE with the OP irrefutable statements, so I can't argue with it - so then lets talk about something else".
=================== and the detailed insightful response?"

"is that a lot of people feel the "need" to ignore the irrefutable details in the OP."

"Not the subject of this thread.
You apparently find the irrefutable details claim in the OP - to be so inconvenient you are posting here but entirely ignoring the OP."

"obligatory rant deleted"

"As the OP points out -- some people actually do care what is in the Bible.
Feel free to address the actual subject of the thread in the OP. Or do you find it so irrefutable that you would rather talk about something else?"

"I deny that your topic in that sentence is the subject of this thread (another irrefutable statement of mine that we BOTH know to be true)"

"yet another "not the topic of the thread - try to avoid the OP some more" kind of post?"

"As it is your posts look a lot like "I AGREE with the OP irrefutable statements, so I can't argue with it - so then lets talk about something else"."

"The pattern so far - for those opposing my beliefs -- has been to AGREE with the OP irrefutable statements -- but to do so disagreeably ..."

"WoW - at this point 100% of the responses NOT in favor of the statements in the OP - proceed by ignoring every Bible fact listed in the OP - in fact not challenging a single one."

"And yet even those opposed to the Bible Sabbath on this thread - admit that the OP is irrefutable.
How is it that the arguments opposing the Bible Sabbath irrefutable details in the OP -- fail so transparently??"

Peace and Blessings

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Others have responded to most everything you have said. In many ways, repeatedly. Here I will attempt to do so for every statement you made.
---------------------
Post 2 is a very direct response to your 1-7.
By the same token there is not one text in the new covenant that says we are to worship on Saturday.

Your statements 1 through 7 demonstrate nothing more than what they simply say. Which is not an affirmation of what you believe. Simply what you post arguing that is supports your beliefs.
----------------------
OP
We also find this in the NT
1. "the Gospel was preached to Abraham" Gal 3:8
2. there is only ONE Gospel Gal 1:6-9
3. The "Gospel was preached to us just as it was to them also" Heb 4:2
4. the NEW Covenant of Jer 31:31-34 quoted verbatim in Heb 8:6-12
5. Moses and Elijah stand in glory with Christ in Matt 17 - even before the cross.

1- How does Gal 3.8 'the gospel' have anything to with a sabbath day? Gal 3.8 is about Paul showing that he is true by referring back to Abraham and the Scriptures and Salvation message. Nothing to do with Sabbaths.
2- There is only one Gospel. But its understanding is not the same for those in the OT looking forward with limited understanding, as it is to those during the NT, or us later looking back with greater understanding.
3- Heb 4.2 The Isrealites did not have faith. Without faith the Gospel means nothing.
4- Jer 31.1-34 This is about the Isrealites in captivity and in the future, God would make a new covenant, which Jesus fulfilled.
c. My covenant which they broke: A new covenant was promised and needed because Israel did not and could not keep the covenant God made with them at Sinai. That covenant was not designed to be enough; it was preparation for the new covenant to come.

d. I will put My law into their minds, and write it on their hearts: The new covenant brings inner transformation. The law of God was no longer only external; God would change the minds and hearts of those connected to Him by the new covenant.

i. The new covenant does not do away with or renounce the law. It makes the law closer and more important by setting it in the mind and heart, instead of on a stone tablet or page. “It would no longer be like the external one made with the fathers, but spiritual and internal, and based on an intimate knowledge of Jehovah.” (Morgan)

ii. “Obedience to the Law is not a prior condition for entering the New Covenant. Rather, it is one of the promised blessings of the New Covenant.” (Ryken)

iii. “Things required by the law are bestowed by the gospel. God demands obedience under the law: God works obedience under the gospel. Holiness is asked of us by the law: holiness is wrought in us by the gospel.” (Spurgeon)

iv. Here, the heart is written upon in a good, positive sense. “The heart as a writing material is spoken of in Jeremiah 17:1 in relation to sin.” (Thompson)

e. I will be their God, and they shall be My people: The new covenant brings new relationship with God. Those connected to God by the new covenant have personal, close relationship with God that they did not have before: they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them.

i. Notably, this relationship with God had a personal aspect (they all show know Me). “Probably the most significant contribution which Jeremiah made to religious thought was inherent in his insistence that the new covenant involved a one-to-one relationship of the spirit. When the new covenant was inaugurated by the atoning work of Jesus Christ on Calvary, this important development of personal, as opposed to corporate, faith and spirituality was made real for the whole of mankind. Henceforth anyone who submitted himself consciously in faith to the person of Christ as Saviour and Lord could claim and receive membership in the church of God.” (Harrison)

f. I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more: The new covenant brings true cleansing from sin. The sacrificial system under the old covenant could only cover sin and its guilt; the new covenant brings forgiveness so complete that it could be said that God no longer remembers the sin of those connected to Him through the new covenant.

i. “The new covenant does not envision sinlessness but forgiveness of sin resulting in restoration of fellowship with God.” (Feinberg)

There is no record of a sabbath being observed before the children of Israel leaving Egypt.
And the sabbath was a command to the Children of Israel. Only.

Exo 31:12 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
Exo 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.
Exo 31:14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
Exo 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
Exo 31:16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
Exo 31:17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
Exo 31:18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

4 - Heb 8.6-12
Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

a. He has obtained a more excellent ministry: No earthly priest could take away sin the way Jesus did. Therefore Jesus’ ministry is far better than the ministry of the priesthood under the Law of Moses.

b. Mediator of a better covenant: Jesus has mediated for us a better covenant, a covenant of grace and not of works, guaranteed for us by a cosigner (Hebrews 7:22). It is a covenant marked by believing and receiving instead of by earning and deserving.

i. Jesus is our Mediator for this greater covenant. Mediator is the ancient Greek word mesites, which means “one who stands in the middle between two people and brings them together.” (Barclay)

iii. Jesus’ covenant is a better covenant, better than any of the previous covenants God made with men. The covenant of Jesus fulfills the other covenants described in the Bible.
  • There is an eternal covenant between the members of the Godhead that made possible the salvation of man (Hebrews 13:20).
  • God’s redemptive plan was continued through the covenant He made with Abraham (Genesis 12:1-3).
  • The Mosaic covenant was another step in God’s redemptive plan (Exodus 24:3-8).
  • The Davidic covenant was yet another step in God’s redemptive plan (2 Samuel 7:1-16).
  • The redemptive plan of God was fulfilled in the New Covenant (Luke 22:14-20).
c. Which was established on better promises: Jesus has better promises for us. These are promises to see us through the most desperate and dark times. These are promises that become alive to us through the Spirit of God. These are promises of blessing and undeserved favor instead of promises to curse and judge.

B. The superiority of the New Covenant.​

1. (Hebrews 8:7) The fact that God mentions another covenant is proves that there is something lacking in the Old Covenant.

For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.

a. If the first covenant had been faultless: It is in the nature of man to come up with things that are “new” but not needed. God isn’t like that. If God established a New Covenant, it means that there was something lacking in the Old Covenant.

2. (Hebrews 8:8-12) The New Covenant as it is presented in the Hebrew Scriptures (quoting from Jeremiah 31:31-34).

Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah—not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the LORD. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.

a. Finding fault: In this passage from Jeremiah 31, God shows that something was lacking in the Old Covenant — because a New Covenant was promised. In the days of Jeremiah the New Covenant was still in the future, because he wrote “Behold the days are coming.”

i. In its context, Jeremiah’s prophecy probably comes from the days of Josiah’s renewal of the covenant after finding the law (2 Kings 23:3). This renewal was good, but it wasn’t enough because Jeremiah looked forward to a new covenant.

b. I will make: The Lord made it clear that this covenant would originate with God, and not with man. At Sinai under the Old Covenant the key words were if you (Exodus 19:5), but in the New Covenant, the key words are I will.

c. A new covenant: This covenant is truly new, not merely “new and improved” in the way things are marketed to us today. Today, products are said to be “new and improved” when there is no substantial difference in the product. But when God says “new,” He means new.

i. There are two ancient Greek words that describe the concept of “new.” Neos described newness in regard to time. Something may be a copy of something old but if it recently made, it can be called neos. The ancient Greek word kainos (the word used here) described something that is not only new in reference to time, but is truly new in its quality. It isn’t simply a new reproduction of something old.

d. With the house of Israel and the house of Judah: The New Covenant definitely began with Israel but it was never intended to end with Israel (Matthew 15:24 and Acts 1:8).

e. Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers: This covenant is not like the covenant God made with their fathers. Again, this emphasizes that there is something substantially different about the New Covenant.

f. Because they did not continue in My covenant: The weakness of the Old Covenant was not in the Covenant itself. It was in the weakness and inability of man. The reason the Old Covenant didn’t “work” was because they did not continue in My covenant.

g. I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts: The New Covenant features transformation from within, not regulation through external law.

i. The Old Covenant came in with such awe and terror that it should have made everyone obey out of fear. But they sinned against the Old Covenant almost immediately. The New Covenant works obedience through the law written in their mind and on their hearts.

h. I will be their God, and they shall be My people: The New Covenant also features a greater intimacy with God than what was available under the Old Covenant.

i. “The best way to make a man keep a law is to make him love the law-giver.” (Spurgeon)

i. Their sins and lawless deeds I will remember no more: The New Covenant offers a true, complete cleansing from sin, different and better than the mere “covering over” of sin in the Old Covenant.

5- Book of Matthew
Jesus predominantly taught the Jews. where else would one find the Jews gathered, but in the temple on their sabbath. This is not an argument for a 7th day sabbath for Gentiles. It is simply how Jesus taught, where he taught, when he taught. To the Jews.

Acts
Paul also taught the Jews. He taught them in their synagogue, on their sabbath.
The gentiles wanted to hear and not be left out, so they also asked to be taught. On the same day the next week. The Jewish sabbath.
Many Gentiles accepted, most Jews said no.
This is about the Gospel being spread and people accepting or denying it. And the Apostles saying you are underserving. Does that undeserving make an implication against the sabbath and the jews? No. Because it is not about the sabbath. The context is hearing the gospel and responding or remaining dead. Dead in the old ways.

Peace and Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Others have responded to most everything you have said. In many ways, repeatedly. Here I will attempt to do so for every statement you made.
---------------------
By the same token there is not one text in the new covenant that says we are to worship on Saturday.

Your statements 1 through 7 demonstrate nothing more than what they simply say. Which is not an affirmation of what you believe. Simply what you post arguing that is supports your beliefs.
----------------------
OP
5. Moses and Elijah stand in glory with Christ in Matt 17 - even before the cross.

1- How does Gal 3.8 'the gospel' have anything to with a sabbath day? Gal 3.8 is about Paul showing that he is true by referring back to Abraham and the Scriptures and Salvation message. Nothing to do with Sabbaths.
2- There is only one Gospel. But its understanding is not the same for those in the OT looking forward with limited understanding, as it is to those during the NT, or us later looking back with greater understanding.
3- Heb 4.2 The Isrealites did not have faith. Without faith the Gospel means nothing.
4- Jer 31.1-34 This is about the Isrealites in captivity and in the future, God would make a new covenant, which Jesus fulfilled.
c. My covenant which they broke: A new covenant was promised and needed because Israel did not and could not keep the covenant God made with them at Sinai. That covenant was not designed to be enough; it was preparation for the new covenant to come.

d. I will put My law into their minds, and write it on their hearts: The new covenant brings inner transformation. The law of God was no longer only external; God would change the minds and hearts of those connected to Him by the new covenant.

i. The new covenant does not do away with or renounce the law. It makes the law closer and more important by setting it in the mind and heart, instead of on a stone tablet or page. “It would no longer be like the external one made with the fathers, but spiritual and internal, and based on an intimate knowledge of Jehovah.” (Morgan)

ii. “Obedience to the Law is not a prior condition for entering the New Covenant. Rather, it is one of the promised blessings of the New Covenant.” (Ryken)

iii. “Things required by the law are bestowed by the gospel. God demands obedience under the law: God works obedience under the gospel. Holiness is asked of us by the law: holiness is wrought in us by the gospel.” (Spurgeon)

iv. Here, the heart is written upon in a good, positive sense. “The heart as a writing material is spoken of in Jeremiah 17:1 in relation to sin.” (Thompson)

e. I will be their God, and they shall be My people: The new covenant brings new relationship with God. Those connected to God by the new covenant have personal, close relationship with God that they did not have before: they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them.

i. Notably, this relationship with God had a personal aspect (they all show know Me). “Probably the most significant contribution which Jeremiah made to religious thought was inherent in his insistence that the new covenant involved a one-to-one relationship of the spirit. When the new covenant was inaugurated by the atoning work of Jesus Christ on Calvary, this important development of personal, as opposed to corporate, faith and spirituality was made real for the whole of mankind. Henceforth anyone who submitted himself consciously in faith to the person of Christ as Saviour and Lord could claim and receive membership in the church of God.” (Harrison)

f. I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more: The new covenant brings true cleansing from sin. The sacrificial system under the old covenant could only cover sin and its guilt; the new covenant brings forgiveness so complete that it could be said that God no longer remembers the sin of those connected to Him through the new covenant.

i. “The new covenant does not envision sinlessness but forgiveness of sin resulting in restoration of fellowship with God.” (Feinberg)

There is no record of a sabbath being observed before the children of Israel leaving Egypt.
And the sabbath was a command to the Children of Israel. Only.

Exo 31:12 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
Exo 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.
Exo 31:14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
Exo 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
Exo 31:16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
Exo 31:17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
Exo 31:18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

4 - Heb 8.6-12
Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

a. He has obtained a more excellent ministry: No earthly priest could take away sin the way Jesus did. Therefore Jesus’ ministry is far better than the ministry of the priesthood under the Law of Moses.

b. Mediator of a better covenant: Jesus has mediated for us a better covenant, a covenant of grace and not of works, guaranteed for us by a cosigner (Hebrews 7:22). It is a covenant marked by believing and receiving instead of by earning and deserving.

i. Jesus is our Mediator for this greater covenant. Mediator is the ancient Greek word mesites, which means “one who stands in the middle between two people and brings them together.” (Barclay)

iii. Jesus’ covenant is a better covenant, better than any of the previous covenants God made with men. The covenant of Jesus fulfills the other covenants described in the Bible.
  • There is an eternal covenant between the members of the Godhead that made possible the salvation of man (Hebrews 13:20).
  • God’s redemptive plan was continued through the covenant He made with Abraham (Genesis 12:1-3).
  • The Mosaic covenant was another step in God’s redemptive plan (Exodus 24:3-8).
  • The Davidic covenant was yet another step in God’s redemptive plan (2 Samuel 7:1-16).
  • The redemptive plan of God was fulfilled in the New Covenant (Luke 22:14-20).
c. Which was established on better promises: Jesus has better promises for us. These are promises to see us through the most desperate and dark times. These are promises that become alive to us through the Spirit of God. These are promises of blessing and undeserved favor instead of promises to curse and judge.

B. The superiority of the New Covenant.​

1. (Hebrews 8:7) The fact that God mentions another covenant is proves that there is something lacking in the Old Covenant.

For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.

a. If the first covenant had been faultless: It is in the nature of man to come up with things that are “new” but not needed. God isn’t like that. If God established a New Covenant, it means that there was something lacking in the Old Covenant.

2. (Hebrews 8:8-12) The New Covenant as it is presented in the Hebrew Scriptures (quoting from Jeremiah 31:31-34).

Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah—not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the LORD. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.

a. Finding fault: In this passage from Jeremiah 31, God shows that something was lacking in the Old Covenant — because a New Covenant was promised. In the days of Jeremiah the New Covenant was still in the future, because he wrote “Behold the days are coming.”

i. In its context, Jeremiah’s prophecy probably comes from the days of Josiah’s renewal of the covenant after finding the law (2 Kings 23:3). This renewal was good, but it wasn’t enough because Jeremiah looked forward to a new covenant.

b. I will make: The Lord made it clear that this covenant would originate with God, and not with man. At Sinai under the Old Covenant the key words were if you (Exodus 19:5), but in the New Covenant, the key words are I will.

c. A new covenant: This covenant is truly new, not merely “new and improved” in the way things are marketed to us today. Today, products are said to be “new and improved” when there is no substantial difference in the product. But when God says “new,” He means new.

i. There are two ancient Greek words that describe the concept of “new.” Neos described newness in regard to time. Something may be a copy of something old but if it recently made, it can be called neos. The ancient Greek word kainos (the word used here) described something that is not only new in reference to time, but is truly new in its quality. It isn’t simply a new reproduction of something old.

d. With the house of Israel and the house of Judah: The New Covenant definitely began with Israel but it was never intended to end with Israel (Matthew 15:24 and Acts 1:8).

e. Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers: This covenant is not like the covenant God made with their fathers. Again, this emphasizes that there is something substantially different about the New Covenant.

f. Because they did not continue in My covenant: The weakness of the Old Covenant was not in the Covenant itself. It was in the weakness and inability of man. The reason the Old Covenant didn’t “work” was because they did not continue in My covenant.

g. I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts: The New Covenant features transformation from within, not regulation through external law.

i. The Old Covenant came in with such awe and terror that it should have made everyone obey out of fear. But they sinned against the Old Covenant almost immediately. The New Covenant works obedience through the law written in their mind and on their hearts.

h. I will be their God, and they shall be My people: The New Covenant also features a greater intimacy with God than what was available under the Old Covenant.

Peace and Blessings
Instead of looking at the legal details of the NC lets look at the results of the NC.

Jeremiah 31: 31 ¶ Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Notice the result of having the law of God written in the hearts of the participants is to know who God is.

Now look at what Jesus said about knowing God.

John 17: 1 THESE words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:
2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Notice the exact parallel between the two passages about knowing God? Jesus said to know God is life eternal. Thus salvation is all about knowing God. No more and no less Having the law of God written in our hearts as promised in the NC equals salvation.

Your post was so long I had to delete the end of it or the software ran into an 18,000 character limit.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As anyone who has studied the English language is able to see, in the above verses, the subject of those verses is the NEW Covenant vs the OLD Covenant - where both have the ten commandments. And in the case of the NEW Covenant of Jer 31:31-34 they are written on the heart by the SPIRIT - but under the OLD covenant they remains external - on tablets of stone alone.

Therefore under BOTH covenants it is always a sin "to take God's name in vain". But under the NEW Covenant - the New Heart (no longer the stony heart) that command is written on the heart - the new creation.

Under the OLD Covenant that same Law known to Jeremiah and his readers in Jer 31:31-34 yet without the Spirit, without the gospel - merely condemns the sinner "for all have sinned" Rom 3:23 and "The ages of sin is death" Rom 6:23

==============================================

No wonder that BEFORE THE CROSS even happens - both Moses and Elijah stand in glory with Christ on the mount of transfiguration. The NEW Covenant of Jer 31:31-34 -
yes, not the law written on stone tablets

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Most of us here would agree that the resurrection was on week-day-1 -- (what we call Sunday today).

If this is the case - then keeping week-day-1 instead of the seventh day -- as either "the new Sabbath" or as your own personal "Lord's day" is a preference or a later tradition rather than something that comes to us from the actual New Testament.

The real reason the Seventh Day Adventists are so fixed on this topic,

Try posting an actual Bible fact in response to the OP where specific details are laid out for you? Why avoid the obvious??
the same weak/wrong arguments over and over again,
Prove it - post an actual Bible fact in direct response to the OP that you are avoiding.
Ok, do not avoid it
If this is you -- almost about to respond to the OP -- I look forward to read it.
and tell us - do you believe sabbath keeping is needed
That is not the topic of this thread.

I believe that as both the Baptist Confession of faith sectn 19 and the Westminster Confession of Faith sectn 19 and as Dies Domini states - the TEN Are included in the moral law of God written on the heart under the Jer 31:31-34 NEW Covenant.

But I do not believe that everyone who bows down before images of Mary or who covets or who thinks Sabbath is week-day-1 is lost. (and that is not even the topic of this thread).

Consider actually responding to the OP facts with something that does NOT keep looking like "I AGREE with the OP so can't argue with it - so then lets talk about something else".

But from the previous conversations, I almost certainly know you will not answer any of these.
hmmm - so you admit you have another topic you wish to discuss. Fine - start a thread on your preferred topic and let's see if your "prediction" is true or not.

As it is your posts look a lot like "I AGREE with the OP irrefutable statements, so I can't argue with it - so then lets talk about something else".

=================== and the detailed insightful response?

Is there a Vision of a Halo around the 4th commandment for you?

You are very juvenile.

Others have responded to most everything you have said. In many ways, repeatedly.
They have responded that the OP is irrefutable.

Details matter

"by the same token" is a statement of agreement with my irrefutable Bible details in the OP and then trying to come up with a similar "truth" of your own. Still it is innescapable agreement even in your attempts to oppose the Bible details that cannot be refuted when you use "by the same token" it is like saying "it is also true that ... <add what you wish here>"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
thanks Bob, the NC is where people can actually follow Gods Law Not the OC.

there is No command in NC regarding the 7th day to keep it holy, in saying that, in order to keep it Holy we must believe in the Gospel.
That idea only works if one is careful NOT to read the text of the actual NEW Covenant in Jer 31:31-34 - repeated verbatim in Heb 8.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
(Post 2 says ) -- "By the same token there is not one text in the new covenant that says we are to worship on Saturday.

Your statements 1 through 7 demonstrate nothing more than what they simply say.
What they simply say is exactly the point... and is why so many in opposition to those texts find it so difficult to even quote the points made.

So then lets go to the OP statements you omit.

(Post 2 says ) -- "By the same token there is not one text in the new covenant that says we are to worship on Saturday.

What they simply say is exactly the point... and is why so many in opposition to those texts find it so difficult to even quote the points made.

...when it comes to the New Testament and the weekly day of worship found there --

6. Not ONE text in the NT says "Ignore the Commandments of God"
7. Not ONE text in the NT says "ignore scripture, ignore what the Holy Spirit says"

Those points are irrefutable - and you can see how they are avoided in the opposing posts ....
wow not "ONE" response to that -- in your post other than agreement in the form "well then I can say it is also true that ..."

Your argument fails to survive that very obvious point so far.
What we DO Find in the NT is
1. "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19
2. "the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12
3. "this IS the Love of God that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:3
Where "The first commandment WITH a promise is - Honor your father and mother(Ex 20:12) " Eph 6:2
Also avoided in your response above.

So now we have to go to a point halfway through the OP to find your so-called point-by-point response

Here I will attempt to do so for every statement you made.
That claim fails to survive the detail noted above that you do no pick up the OP until the statement about Gal 3:8
----------------------
OP quoted here

1- How does Gal 3.8 'the gospel' have anything to with a sabbath day?

For those following the details - it shows that the Gal 1:6-9 "one and only Gospel" was OT - preached to Abraham Gal 3:8.

A detail a lot of posts skim past. But "we noticed"
2- There is only one Gospel. But its understanding is not the same for those in the OT looking forward with limited understanding
It is the exact same Gospel in the OT as it is in the NT - just as Gal 1:6-9 tells us.

No wonder 2 Peter 1 says
2Pet 1:10 As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful searches and inquiries, 11 seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow.
3- Heb 4.2 The Isrealites did not have faith.
Moses and Elijah stand with Christ in glory - in Matt 17 on the mt of Transfiguration - BEFORE the cross event happens
ALL the giants of faith in Heb 11 held up as examples for NT saints - are in the OT -- who are giants of faith according to Heb 11.
And we find in the NT the both saved and lost people were "in church" just as was in the case in the OT

Bible details matter.
Without faith the Gospel means nothing.
4- Jer 31.1-34 This is about the Isrealites in captivity and in the future
Jer 31 is written quoted verbatim in Heb 8:6-12

at a time when Israel was already capt
, God would make a new covenant, which Jesus fulfilled.
The Jer 31:31-34 New Covenant is the one-and-only Gospel covenant and is the mechanism by which Moses and Elijah stand with Christ in glory in Matt 17 - before the cross even happens.

d. I will put My law into their minds, and write it on their hearts: The new covenant brings inner transformation.
bingo -- that is how the Gospel has always worked from Adam to Revelation.
There is NO other gospel.

So then lets go to the OP statements you omit.

...when it comes to the New Testament and the weekly day of worship found there --

6. Not ONE text in the NT says "Ignore the Commandments of God"
7. Not ONE text in the NT says "ignore scripture, ignore what the Holy Spirit says"

Those points are irrefutable - and you can see how they are avoided in the opposing posts ....
wow not "ONE" response to that -- in your post other than agreement in the form "well then I can say it is also true that ..."

Your argument fails to survive that very obvious point so far.
What we DO Find in the NT is
1. "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19
2. "the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12
3. "this IS the Love of God that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:3
Where "The first commandment WITH a promise is - Honor your father and mother(Ex 20:12) " Eph 6:2
Also avoided in your response above.

So now we have to go to a point halfway through the OP to find your so-called point-by-point response

Here I will attempt to do so for every statement you made.
That claim fails to survive the detail noted above that you do no pick up the OP until the statement about Gal 3:8
----------------------
OP quoted here

1- How does Gal 3.8 'the gospel' have anything to with a sabbath day?

For those following the details - it shows that the Gal 1:6-9 "one and only Gospel" was OT - preached to Abraham Gal 3:8.

A detail a lot of posts skim past. But "we noticed"
2- There is only one Gospel. But its understanding is not the same for those in the OT looking forward with limited understanding
It is the exact same Gospel in the OT as it is in the NT - just as Gal 1:6-9 tells us.

No wonder 2 Peter 1 says
2Pet 1:10 As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful searches and inquiries, 11 seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow.
3- Heb 4.2 The Isrealites did not have faith.
Moses and Elijah stand with Christ in glory - in Matt 17 on the mt of Transfiguration - BEFORE the cross event happens
ALL the giants of faith in Heb 11 held up as examples for NT saints - are in the OT -- who are giants of faith according to Heb 11.
And we find in the NT the both saved and lost people were "in church" just as was in the case in the OT

Bible details matter.
Without faith the Gospel means nothing.
4- Jer 31.1-34 This is about the Isrealites in captivity and in the future
Jer 31 is written quoted verbatim in Heb 8:6-12

at a time when Israel was already capt
, God would make a new covenant, which Jesus fulfilled.
The Jer 31:31-34 New Covenant is the one-and-only Gospel covenant and is the mechanism by which Moses and Elijah stand with Christ in glory in Matt 17 - before the cross even happens.

d. I will put My law into their minds, and write it on their hearts: The new covenant brings inner transformation.
bingo -- that is how the Gospel has always worked from Adam to Revelation.
There is NO other gospel.

Upvote 0