Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find Church Goers tend to hate sinners and then re-make God in their image.
Have you stopped to consider that you're looking in the wrong places?

Anyway, hear what king David said: Psalms 139:22

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Have you stopped to consider that you're looking in the wrong places?

Anyway, hear what king David said: Psalms 139:22
So Jesus died for nothing? Give a new testament teaching.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You need a focused verse that says that? Can you not accept wider contexted passages? There are plenty of them. Check out Psalms 11:5, Proverbs 6:16-19. And a NT verse that puts two and two together? There's always James 1:17. (The immutability of God is a core tenant to Christianity)

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In Ephesians 2, we see that God loves the ones He saves even though they were under His wrath prior to receiving salvation.

Ephesians 2:1-5
And you were dead in your trespasses and sins...and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest. But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Both.
God hates sin and will not allow it into Heaven.
God loves people (apart from their sin) but cannot abide them unless/until they would separate from their sin; that is, have their sin washed from them.

He encourages the latter but will not override their will on that matter.

Reactions: KisKatte
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You need a focused verse that says that? Can you not accept wider contexted passages? There are plenty of them. Check out Psalms 11:5, Proverbs 6:16-19. And a NT verse that puts two and two together? There's always James 1:17. (The immutability of God is a core tenant to Christianity)
The psalms passage said hating was okay teaching there was a perfect way to hate.

The James passage doesn't speak about that. In fact, James speaks about not showing favoritism and Christian Love being expressed.

Now if we're supposed to love those who act hateful towards us, is God a hypocrite? No. God becomes incensed towards hypocrisy - thus anything explaining God as a hater misunderstands the nature of God, since God is love.

It is written that one who hates his brother is a murderer. Since Hatred and Murder are considered one and the same - in the same way Burning with passion upon someone with your eyes and having sex with them are the same thing.

The point is, since a murderer has no eternal life in him, stating that God hates, is like saying God has no eternal life in Him - that must be a sad God to worship.

• Winner
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
In Ephesians 2, we see that God loves the ones He saves even though they were under His wrath prior to receiving salvation.

Ephesians 2:1-5
And you were dead in your trespasses and sins...and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest. But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)
For God so loved the World?

Reactions: Littlek
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The psalms passage said hating was okay teaching there was a perfect way to hate.

The James passage doesn't speak about that. In fact, James speaks about not showing favoritism and Christian Love being expressed.

Now if we're supposed to love those who act hateful towards us, is God a hypocrite? No. God becomes incensed towards hypocrisy - thus anything explaining God as a hater misunderstands the nature of God, since God is love.

It is written that one who hates his brother is a murderer. Since Hatred and Murder are considered one and the same - in the same way Burning with passion upon someone with your eyes and having sex with them are the same thing.

The point is, since a murderer has no eternal life in him, stating that God hates, is like saying God has no eternal life in Him - that must be a sad God to worship.
Good rebuttal. I'll get back to this one day. Until then...Cherrio

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Both.
God hates sin and will not allow it into Heaven.
God loves people (apart from their sin) but cannot abide them unless/until they would separate from their sin; that is, have their sin washed from them.

He encourages the latter but will not override their will on that matter.
This reminds of a hymn:

Weary of earth, and laden with my sin,
I look at heav'n and long to enter in;
but there no evil thing may find a home;
and yet I hear a voice that bids me "Come."

So vile I am, how dare I hope to stand
in the pure glory of that holy land?
Before the whiteness of that throne appear?
Yet there are hands stretched out to draw me near.

The while I fain would tread the heav'nly way,
evil is ever with me day by day;
yet on my ears the gracious tidings fall,
"Repent, confess, thou shalt be loosed from all."

It is the voice of Jesus that I hear;
his are the hands stretched out to draw me near,
and his the blood that can for all atone
and set me faultless there before the throne.

O great Absolver, grant my soul may wear
the lowliest garb of penitence and pray'r,
that in the Father's courts my glorious dress
may be the garment of thy righteousness.

Yea, thou wilt answer for me, righteous Lord;
thine all the merits, mine the great reward;
thine the sharp thorns, and mine the golden crown;
mine the life won, and thine the life laid down.

--Samuel Stone, 1866

Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK. I looked up the verse. You misquoted what's written. Jesus didn't say those who hate their brother. He said for those who are angry with them. There's a big difference. As a Christian (and made in the image of God) I can be angry (righteous anger) and still not sin. As long as I do it within the bounderies God has set forth. Again, I stand by my point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
OK. I looked up the verse. You misquoted what's written. Jesus didn't say those who hate their brother. He said for those who are angry with them. There's a big difference. As a Christian (and made in the image of God) I can be angry (righteous anger) and still not sin. As long as I do it within the bounderies God has set forth. Again, I stand by my point.
I was referring to
1 John 3
13 Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
14 ¶ We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
17 But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

You were addressing
Mt 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
For God so loved the World?
I would make a distinction between God's common love to all men and a saving love toward His people. He causes His rain to fall on the just and the unjust, but His Spirit gives saving faith only to His Church.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I would make a distinction between God's common love to all men and a saving love toward His people. He causes His rain to fall on the just and the unjust, but His Spirit gives saving faith only to His Church.
There is an especial love towards the Ephesians 2:22 type church, because we receive it, we get more.

But it stands that God loved the whole world, so sent His Son to die even for those who crucified Him. "Forgive them" was heard from the cross.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We know God loves. (John 3:16)
But does God hate people? (Psalms 5:5)
God loves all sinners but hates all sin. I could not vote because none of the possible answers separates the sin from the sinner. Like it is possible for someone to love their father but hate their alcohol addiction.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was referring to
1 John 3
13 Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
14 ¶ We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
17 But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

You were addressing
Mt 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
The usage of the word hate in the 1 john 3:15 verse refers to a moral choice. ie: elevating one's own value over another. the hate im talking about is denouncing evil and renouncing one choice in favor of another.

you're welcome to dig in and look up the definitions for each if you want to.

Upvote 0