Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Probably the last post I'm making in this thread..

Can I say that God hates sinners? Yes, I can. But my best bet when doing so is to stay confined to thus says God when doing so. (what's actually written)

Let people's theology fall where it may. Does this sccrew with people? Sure does! Does it negate the love of God too (shown thru the gospel)? Not at all.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,966.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let people's theology fall where it may. Does this sccrew with people? Sure does! Does it negate the love of God too (shown thru the gospel)? Not at all.

Who God is and who He loves won't change because we believe this or that. That's a good thing. :cool:

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible tells us that we are made in God's image, what we do with that determines what the outcome will be for us. Romans tells us that "they knew God", but choose to not "retain the knowledge of God", so God gave them over to a debased mind.

God loves those who choose to retain His knowledge, to follow after His ways. The person who pushes away the knowledge of God, no longer can dwell with God for "for two to walk together they must be agreed".

For those who choose not to follow righteousness, God makes sure in the end they don't believe, so will not be saved.

2Th 2:11-12 And for this cause God sendeth them a working of error, that they should believe a lie: that they all might be judged who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Sorry but the poll selections are very weak.

Terms need to be explained.

If one says God only LOVES one will run out Ps 5:5 which says God hates. If one says God hates another runs over and points 1 John 4:8 which says God IS LOVE. Doesn't say God HAS Love....But God is LOVE.

A contradiction. Nope.

We have to know the spirit of how words, phrases and thoughts are meant to be understood. Look I've seen people so hurt by their, let's call them adult offspring that you can hear them say I just hate my kid. Now the real question....Do the REALLY hate them? NO! If their offspring were to die they'd experience great grief and sorrow...why? Because they REALLY loved them. I think it's the same when you read in the odd place in the OT that God hates sinners.

If you understand what it's really meaning I think it's this....they grieve God tremendously.....by their actions they cause much pain to his heart BUT that does not mean he doesn't LOVE them. No it doesn't. He loves them. Remember God IS...IS....LOVE....doesn't just have LOVE.....He is LOVE. 1 John 4:8. There is another scripture similar.....God is LIGHT and in him is no darkness. LIGHT, LIFE, and LOVE are synonymous terms and I believe they are terms in regard to God which are absolute. No darkness....no death.....no hate.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK. I looked up the verse. You misquoted what's written. Jesus didn't say those who hate their brother. He said for those who are angry with them. There's a big difference. As a Christian (and made in the image of God) I can be angry (righteous anger) and still not sin. As long as I do it within the bounderies God has set forth. Again, I stand by my point.

His memory was off, perhaps - it’s not John, it’s 1John:

1Jn 3:15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would make a distinction between God's common love to all men and a saving love toward His people. He causes His rain to fall on the just and the unjust, but His Spirit gives saving faith only to His Church.

Faith is how we get to grace Ephesians 2:8-9, and faith comes by hearing the word of God Romans 10:17.

Thus faith is the gift of God, and the Holy Spirit draws us to Jesus, but He can’t drag us to receive salvation, because the Holy Spirit can be resisted.

Stephen in Acts 7 told the Jews that they’d killed the prophets God sent to them, and rejected and killed their own Messiah who came for them, because they RESISTED the Holy Spirit.

There’s no irresistible grace, and all men get faith when the word is heard, but have freewill to resist the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus died for the world. Only those who repent and believe in him will have eternal life, but it's available for everyone.

“None is righteous, no, not one;11 no one understands; no one seeks for God.
12 All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” (Romans 3:10-12) Yes we have to repent, but unless the Holy Spirit renews our hearts, no one in their wicked heart would repent. Salvation is the work of God. We can pray that He touches our hearts with His Spirit, He has mercy on us, but we cannot truly repent on our own. People say they seek God, no they don't, no once truly seeks God, because no one wants to admit they are sinners and deserve hell, and no one wants to obey God, because we in our nature want to be God. I for example never sought God, nor His righteousness, nor truth, I ran away from it all

Not a select few. The gift of God is available to all those whom he created in his image - i.e. everyone - and all those who have sinned and need a Saviour.

15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. (Romans 9:15-16)

God saves who He wants and there is nothing any of us can do about it. He does not have to save anyone, we all sin against Him, we all rejected Him, it is only His mercy that saves. Has this not been the case, no one would be saved, because we love evil and we don't even know we need to be saved.

8 But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. 9 For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him. (1 Thess 5:8-10).

Does that mean God creates some for Heaven and some for Hell. That is not so. He can change His mind about the unsaved about His mercy. I don't know how eternity works, but God can still change His decision about certain things. Why does God chose who He has His mercy on? Because we all rejected Him.

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God hates the sin but always loves the sinner. Gods love is relentless though and
the moment you confess and repent of your sin,He is faithful and just to forgive you and lavish his love upon you.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,408.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes we have to repent, but unless the Holy Spirit renews our hearts, no one in their wicked heart would repent. Salvation is the work of God. We can pray that He touches our hearts with His Spirit, He has mercy on us, but we cannot truly repent on our own.

The work of the Spirit is to convict people of sin and draw them to Jesus - yes.
A person may never know what caused them to go to a Gospel service or ask a question about Christianity; they may never know why they were moved/challenged when they listened to a hymn on the radio, or whatever. I believe the Spirit moves in thousands of creative ways to nudge people towards hearing the Gospel. Many of us, I guess, would say "I came to faith/I decided/I repented", not knowing of the Spirit's involvement. but he's there, all the same.

People say they seek God, no they don't, no once truly seeks God, because no one wants to admit they are sinners and deserve hell,

Maybe.
But it could also be the case that people truly don't believe they are sinners. I've come across many with the "I try not to hurt anybody/give to charity/go to church and just try to make this world a better place" attitude, who would not identify themselves as sinners because they've never killed, stolen or been in prison.
For them, it's not so much not wanting to admit they are sinners, but not believing that they could be.

15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. (Romans 9:15-16)

Yes - and it's my belief that he chooses to show mercy and compassion to everyone; to all that he made in his image. That's why he told us to love our enemies, Matthew 5:44; because he does. They may be OUR enemies, but they are still people for whom Christ died.
Sometimes Christians quote Exodus 33:19 as if to say "there you are, God chooses to have compassion only on a few; he selects those he wishes to have compassion on." I don't believe that verse shows God's selection. I believe the Lord is saying "I can choose to have compassion on whom I want." It's not for us to decide that some are worthy of God's compassion/salvation and some aren't. Like Jonah, who wouldn't go to Ninevah because he felt that if they repented, God would be merciful - and Jonah didn't feel that his enemies deserved that.

God saves who He wants and there is nothing any of us can do about it.

Exactly.
And if he saves former murderers, those who have taken their own lives, child abusers or people with a different interpretation of the Bible to ourselves; that's his right and up to him.
It's not up to us to say "No, those sorts of people will not be saved/burn forever" - yet I've see that on these forums.

Why does God chose who He has His mercy on? Because we all rejected Him.

Because we all sinned and messed up, he has mercy on us all.
He IS love. I don't believe it's love to say "you all sinned, but I will choose to forgive some of you". How does that show love and compassion? Would those who were not shown compassion then thank him for his mercy and justice? If someone that you love wasn't saved, would you say "never mind; at least God chose to save me"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God loves the Sinner, but God hates the sin.

There is nothing Biblical about that.
God hates those who do iniquities (Psalm 5:5). Does it say God hates iniquity or does it say God hates who do them?
If your statement was true, then was does God send sinners to hell, not just sin?

Yes, God loves all His creation, but His wrath is on all of us because we sin. And this wrath has to be satisfied. Jesus drank of the cup of God's wrath to dreds to satisfy for the sins, but that is only for those who truly repent and believe in Jesus.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There is nothing Biblical about that.
God hates those who do iniquities (Psalm 5:5). Does it say God hates iniquity or does it say God hates who do them?
If your statement was true, then was does God send sinners to hell, not just sin?

Yes, God loves all His creation, but His wrath is on all of us because we sin. And this wrath has to be satisfied. Jesus drank of the cup of God's wrath to dreds to satisfy for the sins, but that is only for those who truly repent and believe in Jesus.
There is something VERY biblical about that statement.
'But God shows his love for us, because while we were still sinners Christ died for us'
Romans 5:8

And your statement is untrue. People choose their path. Their own unwillingness to repent sends them there, or their unbelief in God altogether.

I call heaven and earth as my witnesses against you right now: I have set life and death, blessing and curse before you. Now choose life—so that you and your descendants will live—Deuteronomy 30:19

This is the path that Moses declared when he was alive, speaking to the people, Choose life for yourself… so that you may live.- 2 Esdras 7:129

We choose how we want God to see us. He knew from the beginning we were sinners but He loved us enough to send His only Begotten Son to die brutally to take our Sins
but we have to do our part to accept His gift, or we go to hell by choice through our actions, lack of remorse, and failure to repent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is something VERY biblical about that statement.
'But God shows his love for us, because while we were still sinners Christ died for us'
Romans 5:8

And your statement is untrue. People choose their path. Their own unwillingness to repent sends them there, or their unbelief in God altogether.

I call heaven and earth as my witnesses against you right now: I have set life and death, blessing and curse before you. Now choose life—so that you and your descendants will live—Deuteronomy 30:19

This is the path that Moses declared when he was alive, speaking to the people, Choose life for yourself… so that you may live.- 2 Esdras 7:129

We choose how we want God to see us. He knew from the beginning we were sinners but He loved us enough to send His only Begotten Son to die brutally to take our Sins
but we have to do our part to accept His gift, or we go to hell by choice through our actions, lack of remorse, and failure to repent.

The Word of God is not a one-sided sword. It is a double-edged sword. The same Word that says God is love also says "God is a just judge, And God is angry with the wicked every day. If he does not turn back, He will sharpen His sword; He bends His bow and makes it ready." We must prefer to hear the double-edged Word than to have our ears tickled. God's Love is on one hand and His Wrath is on another. He gives us grace that we MIGHT receive Love. If we reject His love, we face the full wrath of God. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God, the Bible says. We love to quote John 3:16 but we do not really understand that is carries the love and anger of God towards us. The cross is the wrath and the love of God made manifest. If we do not understand the wrath of God, then we do not understand the love of God and we cannot truly understand why Christ really died. He died for God's wrath against us so that we might inherit God's love towards us. The so-called Christians today do not know their God. They want to hear God is Love but block their ears from hearing God is Just. They do not understand that those who name by the name of Christ MUST depart from evil. They do not understand that to fear the LORD is to hate evil and to love God is to hate evil.

Yes all your above Bible verses are true, but the Bible verses that God hates sinners are true also. We must not only pick the ones that we like, because then we are like Satan tempting Jesus 'It is said that...' but Jesus replied 'but it is said also...'

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Word of God is not a one-sided sword. It is a double-edged sword. The same Word that says God is love also says "God is a just judge, And God is angry with the wicked every day. If he does not turn back, He will sharpen His sword; He bends His bow and makes it ready." We must prefer to hear the double-edged Word than to have our ears tickled. God's Love is on one hand and His Wrath is on another. He gives us grace that we MIGHT receive Love. If we reject His love, we face the full wrath of God. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God, the Bible says. We love to quote John 3:16 but we do not really understand that is carries the love and anger of God towards us. The cross is the wrath and the love of God made manifest. If we do not understand the wrath of God, then we do not understand the love of God and we cannot truly understand why Christ really died. He died for God's wrath against us so that we might inherit God's love towards us. The so-called Christians today do not know their God. They want to hear God is Love but block their ears from hearing God is Just. They do not understand that those who name by the name of Christ MUST depart from evil. They do not understand that to fear the LORD is to hate evil and to love God is to hate evil.

Yes all your above Bible verses are true, but the Bible verses that God hates sinners are true also. We must not only pick the ones that we like, because then we are like Satan tempting Jesus 'It is said that...' but Jesus replied 'but it is said also...'
You are correct. That is very true but rather than just a few words being said in the Bible His action of sending His Son to die on the cross shows His love for the sinners. You ade correct in that in a few years He will show His wrath on The day of the Lord, and God help us all on that day. The Bible says He will, as He will guide every trajectory so they will hit precisely where He wants them to so we should not be afraid if we are still here. But yeah the only thing as strong as the love of God is the Wrath of God. I agree.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
He doesn't send anyone to hell.
Actually He kind of does. I thought that too, because it is through our choices made in life however our choices will cause Him to do this.
He does not want anyone to be sent to hell but because He is holy, if we do not strive to be holy and perfect, we cannot be where He is.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,408.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually He kind of does. I thought that too, because it is through our choices made in life however our choices will cause Him to do this.
He does not want anyone to be sent to hell but because He is holy, if we do not strive to be holy and perfect, we cannot be where He is.

I believe they will be in hell.

I believe that when someone who has rejected the Gospel meets with God, they will see, and know, for themselves that he is real and that everything they hear about the Christian faith is true. Because we are made perfect when we die, I believe they will have perfect recollection of their lives, their sins and the times they rejected/abused God, failed to confess their sins and be forgiven. I believe they will also know that it is too late for them to be forgiven and receive eternal life. THAT, I believe, will be hell - living for all eternity with knowledge, guilt and shame of all their sins, knowing that they will never be forgiven or be able to cry out to God or call on him for help.

It's possible that this is an unconventional view of hell, that I'm completely wrong and there is an actual place, which God can never inhabit and to which he sends those who have chosen to reject the Gospel. The end result is the same, however; if someone continually rejects the Gospel and dies without receiving forgiveness and eternal life, then when they die they will be spiritually dead and not able to live with God and be forgiven. God will honour the choice that they made in life, and they will spend eternity without him.

Upvote 0