Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
not taking a side anywhere in this but just noting today's cops may not have the moral and ethical backgrounds of their great-grandfathers but then neither do the people on the street. things are rough all over.
Or they watched too many Dirty Harry movies......

quote:"Someone is trying to put the courts out of business"

Last edited:
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your thread inspired me to do some searching on this topic, and I came across this article (sorry if you've posted it already!): http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries

There is no question police killings are much higher in the US per capita, than the vast majority of countries.

It is also true, that some of these killings are not justified, but also true that the vast majority are justified.

So, why so many killings? Lot's and lots of guns in the United States and guns present a real threat to police. Lots of crime in the United States and criminals when chased by police, tend to do things that present a legit threat to police.

Lastly, the United States has always had a "gun culture". Look at all the old western movies and all the current movies where people are shooting other people. You can't get to far in our society without seeing a TV show, a movie or a video game which glorifies shooting others. Heck, when we were kids, one of the first toys boys always wanted were cap guns.

The culture in other countries regarding guns is very different and this is just the way it is.

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeachSun

Beach Comber
May 14, 2015
So Cal
✟183,830.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
These threads amaze me.
Full disclosure- I've been married to law enforcement for 30 years. In that time I've met more than a few jerks, but not ONE police officer, deputy, or correctional officer ever went to work with any intention other than enforcing the law...and coming home safe.

When I read many of the posts my (admittedly selfish) knee jerk reaction is to have your entire police force walk off the job. Every last one. Then you won't have to deal with those unfair, racist, bully officers.
That should resolve all of your issues.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
These threads amaze me.
Full disclosure- I've been married to law enforcement for 30 years. In that time I've met more than a few jerks, but not ONE police officer, deputy, or correctional officer ever went to work with any intention other than enforcing the law...and coming home safe.

When I read many of the posts my (admittedly selfish) knee jerk reaction is to have your entire police force walk off the job. Every last one. Then you won't have to deal with those unfair, racist, bully officers.

In general I agree, but at the same time, I don't think there is anything wrong with doing everything possible, to eliminate these needless shootings as much as possible.

Will we ever get to a point where it is perfect? No, but there are enough of these needless shootings, to take a hard look at the training of policeman and the psychological screening process that is being used, to determine if someone is fit to be a police officer.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These threads amaze me.

You do realize it's possible to both respect police officers AND hold them accountable at the same time, right? My intention with this thread isn't about slamming anyone, my intention is to bring a set of facts out that, until recently, weren't even known, let alone being discussed. For instance: did you know in the month of July US police killed 125 people? Did you know last year US police killed 1106 people? Don't you think there should at least be a conversation about that? :scratch:
tulc(just wants people to know the facts) :wave:

Upvote 0

BeachSun

Beach Comber
May 14, 2015
So Cal
✟183,830.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Conversation and one sided conversation are two different things.
I see little to no balance - example:
"Did you know last year US police killed 1106 people". Not- Last year police diffused tens of thousands of potentially life threatening situations, but unfortunately had to take the lives of 1106 people.
See? More than one side

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Did you know last year US police killed 1106 people". Not- Last year police diffused tens of thousands of potentially life threatening situations, but unfortunately had to take the lives of 1106 people.
See? More than one side

Except the conversation isn't so much a conversation is it? It usually goes something like: "Hey did you know over a 1100 people were killed by police last year?" to which most people reply with words to the effect: "Why do you hate the police?!?" If someone brings up some of the negative things about the police in America they (almost immediately) are accused of "Only telling one side of the story!!" no, what I'm trying to do in this thread is point out that there actually IS another side to the story and not just the lives that have been ended (deserved or otherwise) but it's also cost taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars in tax money that could have been used for other things. for instance: this thread isn't here to bash anyone it's here because I couldn't find anywhere else on CF that was talking about it. And yet there were threads about things that were never going to have as many dead Americans as one month of people killed by police. Did you know, on average the police kill 3 people a day here in the US? Isn't that worth a conversation? :scratch:
I would LOVE to see threads where people posted positive stories about the police in the US! I've even asked people to start them. And yet? People would rather complain about a thread that simply (as far as the things I post) supplies info for people to be aware of what's going on. :sigh:

US police have killed 729 people in 2015
http://www.killedbypolice.net/
tulc(45 in August so far)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
See? More than one side

you are free to create your own thread about good cops, esp those who condemn wicked cops and expose their dirty little secrets

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
See? More than one side

Dont you think something is wrong if our cops have to take 1100 plus lives, while germany the worst they have had is about 8?

Thats a rate of 1 out every 300,000 people in america, and 1 out of 10,000,000 in germany

Its not necessarily just due to bad cops either, in fact thats not likely even the leading cause, but something is definitely very wrong when we see these kinds of numbers.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Except the conversation isn't so much a conversation is it? It usually goes something like: "Hey did you know over a 1100 people were killed by police last year?" to which most people reply with words to the effect: "Why do you hate the police?!?" If someone brings up some of the negative things about the police in America they (almost immediately) are accused of "Only telling one side of the story!!" no, what I'm trying to do in this thread is point out that there actually IS another side to the story and not just the lives that have been ended (deserved or otherwise) but it's also cost taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars in tax money that could have been used for other things. for instance: this thread isn't here to bash anyone it's here because I couldn't find anywhere else on CF that was talking about it. And yet there were threads about things that were never going to have as many dead Americans as one month of people killed by police. Did you know, on average the police kill 3 people a day here in the US? Isn't that worth a conversation? :scratch:
I would LOVE to see threads where people posted positive stories about the police in the US! I've even asked people to start them. And yet? People would rather complain about a thread that simply (as far as the things I post) supplies info for people to be aware of what's going on. :sigh:

US police have killed 729 people in 2015
http://www.killedbypolice.net/
tulc(45 in August so far)
I know ive posted some and in a few others here. I even posted a good cop using violence when justified as an example.

Reactions: BeachSun
Upvote 0

Verdure

Sheep
Jul 21, 2015
✟8,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no question police killings are much higher in the US per capita, than the vast majority of countries.

It is also true, that some of these killings are not justified, but also true that the vast majority are justified.

So, why so many killings? Lot's and lots of guns in the United States and guns present a real threat to police. Lots of crime in the United States and criminals when chased by police, tend to do things that present a legit threat to police.

Lastly, the United States has always had a "gun culture". Look at all the old western movies and all the current movies where people are shooting other people. You can't get to far in our society without seeing a TV show, a movie or a video game which glorifies shooting others. Heck, when we were kids, one of the first toys boys always wanted were cap guns.

The culture in other countries regarding guns is very different and this is just the way it is.

That's very true. There's a very strong gun culture here. Context is important, I agree. It's hard to change ingrained culture, and police often get blamed for killing someone when it may have been justified. It's hypocritical for me to sit back and shake my head at these statistics, while these policemen/women are out there in dangerous situations making hard, split-second choices.

Upvote 0

Cactus Jack

Jul 12, 2011
somewhere
✟17,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

See? More than one side

Some of us have a bit of difficulty with this idea. I know I do.

I know that there are good cops, just as I know there are bad cops as well. To say that all are one or the other is a bald faced lie. You talk of saving tens of thousands of lives. I can tell you of tens of thousands, if not closer to hundreds of thousands of dollars I lost to misconduct by cops. Harassment, warrentless searches, false arrests, warrentless seizures, assaults. It goes on. But that’s just my word. Lets have some facts, huh? Here ya go-

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cops-invade-womans-home-warrant-assault-her-demand-job/

http://www.policestateusa.com/2015/tori-thayer/

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/article31143044.html

Better yet, http://photographyisnotacrime.com as it has a lot of stories of police abusing people.

And as much as it may sound that I hate cops, this afternoon I chatted with a friend that's a PD sgt. in a neighboring community. Only meant to say hi hello and how are you, 5-6 minutes max, ended up spending his lunch break chewing the fat with me. I can be friendly too.

I am far from anti-cop. But I am a radical. Do what you want in your life, that's your business, not mine until it affects me. But for someone to defecate on the Constitution after giving an oath to protect it from enemies foreign and domestic, and I'm gonna want their head for a desk ornament. And my friends that are cops also know this. And they don't have any problem with it at all.

Where does your husband stand on this, BeachSun?

Reactions: Vylo
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.