Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All our works are like filthy rags, "For all of us have become like one who is unclean,
And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf,
And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away."- Isaiah 64:6

The sacrament of Peneance is a "work". Simply because, in order to receive the sacrament of penance 'worthily' the Roman Catholic must first examine his conscience,
be sorry for his sins
make up his mind not to sin again
confess his sins to the priest and
be willing to do the penance the priest gives them to do.
"Faith Without Works Is Dead" (James 2:20)

Reactions: MrPolo
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Faith Without Works Is Dead" (James 2:20)

IOW, that isn't faith.

James is not saying that works count towards God's judgment of us, just that the Faith that saves is one that produces works.

It really is tiresome when Biblical Faith is constantly represented as a belief in Christ that is not connected to changing one's life. Is such a claim said out of ignorance or just denominational triumphalism, I always wonder.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
IOW, that isn't faith.

James is not saying that works count towards God's judgment of us, just that the Faith that saves is one that produces works.

It really is tiresome when Biblical Faith is constantly represented as a belief in Christ that is not connected to changing one's life. Is such a claim said out of ignorance or just denominational triumphalism, I always wonder.
I agree with you. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.