✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
04.gif

Identify the fake verse in this passage:

Luke 19:2-10
2 Now a man there named Zacchaeus, who was a chief tax collector and also a wealthy man, 3 was seeking to see who Jesus was; but he could not see him because of the crowd, for he was short in stature. 4 So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree in order to see Jesus, who was about to pass that way. 5 When he reached the place, Jesus looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down quickly, for today I must stay at your house." 6 And he came down quickly and received him with joy. 7 When they all saw this, they began to grumble, saying, "He has gone to stay at the house of a sinner." 8 But Zacchaeus stood there and said to the Lord, "Behold, half of my possessions, Lord, I shall give to the poor, and if I have extorted anything from anyone I shall repay it four times over." 9 And Jesus said to him, "Since you have already received me as your savior, you do not need to repay the last penny. 10 For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save what was lost."

PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
04.gif

2 Now a man there named Zacchaeus, who was a chief tax collector and also a wealthy man, 3 was seeking to see who Jesus was; but he could not see him because of the crowd, for he was short in stature. 4 So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree in order to see Jesus, who was about to pass that way. 5 When he reached the place, Jesus looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down quickly, for today I must stay at your house." 6 And he came down quickly and received him with joy. 7 When they all saw this, they began to grumble, saying, "He has gone to stay at the house of a sinner." 8 But Zacchaeus stood there and said to the Lord, "Behold, half of my possessions, Lord, I shall give to the poor, and if I have extorted anything from anyone I shall repay it four times over." 9 And Jesus said to him, "Since you have already received me as your savior, you do not need to repay the last penny. 10 For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save what was lost."

:p

Reactions: MrPolo
Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
04.gif

God demands not outward deeds but a changed heart and mind, "doing" has literally nothing to do with salvation. "to repent" and to "do penance" are 2 diffrent things, Zaccheus' actions came about by having a changed heart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
God demands not outward deeds but a changed heart and mind, "doing" has literally nothing to do with salvation. "to repent" and to "do penance" are 2 diffrent things, Zaccheus' actions came about by having a changed heart.

Are you espousing "penitence-is-an-anecdotal-but-unnecessary-byproduct-of-faith"? :)

Reactions: Kristos
Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you espousing "penitence-is-an-anecdotal-but-unnecessary-byproduct-of-faith"? :)
Sure you could say that, but don't confuse me with antinomianists. Who take that to the absurd level.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is this going to turn into a "Saved by works or faith?" thread? More importantly, where do you plan on going with this.
Polo's a sharp guy, wherever he goes with it, it'll be interesting.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Verse 9.

It should read: "And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, since he also is a son of Abraham."

The tax collector was originally a thief. He made people pay more than they needed for his own greedy gain. He felt contrite, changed his mind and ways, confessed as much, confessed his sin, and made good. Because of that, he found reconciliation.

Its a great story that shows the procedure of the Sacrament of Holy Reconciliation: Contriteness, Repentance, Confession, Penance, and Absolution.

If we do not make penance, then we're still in jeopardy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Common confessional practices have no basis in scriptures. The Latin translation which says do penance on Matt 4:17 for example is a horrible translation, the greek translates "be penitent" where Erasmus says "do penance".

Upvote 0

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The tax collector was originally a thief. He made people pay more than they needed for his own greedy gain. He felt contrite, changed his mind and ways, confessed as much, confessed his sin, and made good. Because of that, he found reconciliation.

Changed his heart too.:)

Upvote 0

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Common confessional practices have no basis in scriptures. The Latin translation which says do penance on Matt 4:17 for example is a horrible translation, the greek translates "be penitent" where Erasmus says "do penance".

"be penitent" seems to have the connotation to do penance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
All our works are like filthy rags, "For all of us have become like one who is unclean,
And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf,
And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away."- Isaiah 64:6

The sacrament of Peneance is a "work". Simply because, in order to receive the sacrament of penance 'worthily' the Roman Catholic must first examine his conscience,
be sorry for his sins
make up his mind not to sin again
confess his sins to the priest and
be willing to do the penance the priest gives them to do.

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Victorville, California, CorpUSA
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, One speaks to outward deeds and one to a changed heart.

I think STZ it goes hand in hand with not putting old wine into new wineskins, and new pages on old garments......

One can't be too surprised when we see that others don't seem to get these concepts of allowing Christ and Christ alone the freedom to do His work in us when some look to the righteousness (sic) of a particular church/denomination for help, assistance and guidance.

Upvote 0

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What can penance cover which Christ has not already, in His atoning work of the Cross.

Jesus can't say I'm sorry for a person. When one person sins against another.

He can forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us but He can't forgive others for us. We have to do that and that is also penance.

Penance flows from His atonement at the cross.

Forgive our trespasses as we forgive those that trespass against us.

Upvote 0

PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
All our works are like filthy rags, "For all of us have become like one who is unclean,
And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf,
And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away."- Isaiah 64:6

The sacrament of Peneance is a "work". Simply because, in order to receive the sacrament of penance 'worthily' the Roman Catholic must first examine his conscience,
be sorry for his sins
make up his mind not to sin again
confess his sins to the priest and
be willing to do the penance the priest gives them to do.

Any work outside of Grace is just straw, that's why the Sacrament of Peneance is considered a "good work" and not a work. Because the ultimate source of a good work is God's Grace, when we submit our self will, to God's will....the graces abound, to allow for a good work to be accomplished.

Reactions: MrPolo
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.