Obama wins peace prize

Krentis

Sep 22, 2009
✟783.00
Faith
Catholic
AMDG - the ppl you named will get their rewards in Heaven. Getting awards on earth reduces or removes rewards in Heaven if you get your thanks on earth.

Peace

Please cite the specific Catholic teaching that you are extrapolating that from, I believe you are teaching error. I do not believe that Mother Theressa's rewards in heaven have been reduced or removed due to her winning a Nobel Peace Prize.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Here is an opinion of note.

"Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro lauded the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to U.S. President Barack Obama, saying on Saturday it was "a positive measure" that was more a criticism of past U.S. policies than a recognition of Obama's accomplishments. Castro said the prize made up for the blow Obama suffered last week when the International Olympic Committee awarded the 2016 Summer Games to Rio de Janeiro after Obama had flown to Copenhagen to pitch for Chicago, his adoptive hometown.

The Nobel Committee announced on Friday that Obama had won the peace price for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." "

(I am so glad they the Committee, told us why.)
Further on:

""Many will say that he still hasn't earned the right to receive such distinction. We prefer to see in the decision, more than a prize for the president of the United States, a criticism of the genocidal policies that not a few presidents of that country have followed." "

Fidel Castro lauds Nobel prize for Obama | U.S. | Reuters

Walll now.... :D

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I put this separate. This is the people that made the Nobel Peace Prize is like a gold medal for lefties.

Only because the "righties" have never done anything to advance the cause of world peace. You can't win if you're not in the game.

As is shown on this thread, many of the righties don't even know how to define peace. They think the only offense against world peace is abortion.
I wish that they would take the time to read the rest of Mother Teresa's ideas.

"The fruit of silence is prayer, the fruit of prayer is faith, the fruit of faith is love, the fruit of love is service, the fruit of service is peace."

"Make us worthy, Lord, to serve those people throughout the world who live and die in poverty and hunger. Give them through our hands, this day, their daily bread, and by our understanding love, give them peace and joy.

Everybody today seems to be in such a terrible rush, anxious for greater developments and greater riches and so on, so that children have very little time for their parents. Parents have very little time for each other, and in the home begins the disruption of peace of the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I hate how people who aren't American are always blaming America for their problems

So you are against Obamas pathetic apology for Bush tour? He looked like Jimmy Carter on steriods.

Seriously. Democrats are not to be blamed for Castro and Chavez, but al least they should stop cozying up with them.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One of the major things that Obama did, which was part of the reason for awarding him the Nobel Peace Prise, is that he defused the resurgence of the cold war between the US and Russia, which Bush started, but shutting down the missile deployment to Eastern European nations.

That alone was a wise and noble act.

Jim

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Whats amazing to me, is how those on the right are blaming Obama for being awarded the prize, something he had no control over, and was as surprised as the rest of us, to hear he had won it.

I much prefer to see our president receive a Nobel Peace Prize, even for vague reasons, than to see him burned in effigy by rioting mobs and have shoes thrown at him, when he travels abroad.

Jim

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
One of the major things that Obama did, which was part of the reason for awarding him the Nobel Peace Prise, is that he defused the resurgence of the cold war between the US and Russia, which Bush started, but shutting down the missile deployment to Eastern European nations.

Im not so sure if Bush alone is to blame, Putin has done his share too for restarting the rivaldry. While I do like Obama`s act, I just hope that the Russians reply in kind by stopping selling weapons to Iran and Venezuela for example. If they do not Obama will end looking like a fool. Giving something for nothing. I think that that missile shield was always a bargaining chip. For both Bush and Obama. Obama just was willing to make the first move himself.

Whats amazing to me, is how those on the right are blaming Obama for being awarded the prize, something he had no control over, and was as surprised as the rest of us, to hear he had won it.

I do agree, the blame is not on Obama but on the Nobel Commitee.
They are trying to bribe the US President with a Nobel into their agenda.
I wonder now how Obama is going to respond in this situations?

Whether to enlarge or scale back the effort in Afghanistan.

What to do about Iran's nuclear aspirations?

What to do about N Korea's similar desires?

What to do about Honduras specifically, and the Cuban-Chavez plus disciples problem in general? This is personal to me. There is the growing feeling that Latinamerica is headed for several wars within again down here. People in South America feel war is coming and goverments have started to arm themselves following Chavez example. And Putin as a enabler. While Bush was busy in the Middle East.

We are now in the same positions Europeans were in the 1900-1910 decade.

The Nobel people are clearly trying to push the US's leadership into a box which would preclude any military response no matter what the provocation.

This is a bribe of the only coin Obama would respond to---adulation from the chattering internationalists he longs to impress.

The Nobels reflects on the Commite badly and that is were the now leaderless US conservative shall focus instead of in Obama. Obama`s test will come latter if he starts to show the winning of the Nobel so early in his career affects badly his future decisions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Only because the "righties" have never done anything to advance the cause of world peace.

Fantine, there is lots of non political persons nominated for the Peace Prize. I dout Chinese disidents are lefties for example, they are most likey free marketiers.

And giving the Nobel Prize to known communists in Latinamerica, I fail to see, how it avance the Peace of the World. 100 million deaths, Fantine, 100 million death. That and Che Guevara T shirts is all comunism left.

Moral anticomunists like Ronald Reagan, Maggie T, JPII, Lech Walesa (he won one at least) has done more for world peace that Al Gore for example.

Reagan was the first US president to openly call comunism evil, not just bad, but evil. He did not see Carters false moral equivalencies at all. He demonized what has to be demonized. He did not compromized, even in the face of Admaggedon. He was the Winston Churchill of the Cold War, giving inspiration to millions that Comunists were to be defeated.
He cannot claim to was fighted the Cold War, but he did put the winning strategie on the plans.
Thatcher and JPII also said something that is moraly very important. There are several kinds of peace. A man in a hole in a prision is at peace, so are the dead in the cementery.
JPII, said so in his classic homilly in Poland, during his first trip.
We shall not destroy, but we shall never let us be destroyed.
The only real peace is the one that respect human dignity and life.
That is the Peace of JPII wanted.
Others peaces, the peace of the prision or the peace of the cementery somethimes are the ones appeacers prefer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Romans 13:3
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2Cosmic2Charlie

The Nobel people are clearly trying to push the US's leadership into a box which would preclude any military response no matter what the provocation.

This is a bribe of the only coin Obama would respond to---adulation from the chattering internationalists he longs to impress.

And giving the Nobel Prize to known communists in Latinamerica, I fail to see, how it avance the Peace of the World. 100 million deaths, Fantine, 100 million death. That and Che Guevara T shirts is all comunism left.

Moral anticomunists like Ronald Reagan, Maggie T, JPII, Lech Walesa (he won one at least) has done more for world peace that Al Gore for example.

And people say I"M an ideology.

You know for a person who claims to be both not American and not white you certainly seem to have the known talking points of that White American fraternity, the GOP, down party pat.

Which I find notable only because most non white non Americans are generally educated better than to fall for the GOP's line of rap.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Err--you all seem to be talking as if this awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize was actually due to something Obama did. Instead his name was put in the running before he had any opportunity to do anything. As I understand it, it was just twelve days after inaugaration. Really premature.

Hmm--and are we sure that it wasn't done simply to embarass the U.S. again and try to convince Obama to not send the troops the General in Afghanistan needs (even if that act will mean more of our soldiers lives being lost..as well as those of innocent Afghan citizens.) Hardly seems peaceful.

Upvote 0
American liberals, please understand something; we conservative dislike Mr. Obama's ideas as much as you did Mr. Bush's. We are convinced that the we are, as a country, on a rocket sled headed to hell (figuratively and literally), just as you all did with Mr. Bush. We could argue about policies and their relative moral strength until our fingers blistered from the typing and we would not agree.

What I think we should be able to agree about is the Mr. Obama won the prize more for what he said as opposed to what he has done and that he has at least paid lip service to the European

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's interesting seeing how right wing media hosts are falling all over themselves to discredit the Nobel Peace Prize because it was given to someone they disapprove of.

But it is a bad year for Obama haters--he's bagged a degree from Notre Dame and a Nobel Peace Prize so far.

^QFT:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
American liberals, please understand something; we conservative dislike Mr. Obama's ideas as much as you did Mr. Bush's. We are convinced that the we are, as a country, on a rocket sled headed to hell (figuratively and literally), just as you all did with Mr. Bush. We could argue about policies and their relative moral strength until our fingers blistered from the typing and we would not agree.

What I think we should be able to agree about is the Mr. Obama won the prize more for what he said as opposed to what he has done and that he has at least paid lip service to the European

I think that about sums it up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Why is color an issue CC?
Cant Obama get respect for his issues so we have to say its because of his color he doesnt get respect?

Newsflash, he is not 100%.
I dont care if he was green, orange or purple, his issues stink.

Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You know for a person who claims to be both not American and not white you certainly seem to have the known talking points of that White American fraternity, the GOP, down party pat.

Which I find notable only because most non white non Americans are generally educated better than to fall for the GOP's line of rap.

So, people you might never has read are non falling for the GOP line.

Carlos Rangel felt for the GOP line? In the seventies? Mario Vargas Llosa felt for the GOP line? In the 80s? Andre Glucksman felt for the GOP line in the seventies, I guess Alexandr Soljenitzin worked for Karl Rove them.
And Jean Francois Revel, Christian Heller, and Martin Amis are pundits for Karl Rove.

And Hernando de Soto and Enrique Ghersi all who has called Bush a con man and predicted the current crisis and has called Obama Bush on steroids and say a worse crisis might be comming are all GOP operatives.

And for the record, and some people here know how I look like, Im a brown skinned Hispanic that looks like a Middle Eastener.

Upvote 0

2Cosmic2Charlie

And for the record, and some people here know how I look like, Im a brown skinned Hispanic that looks like a Middle Eastener.

Well, in America in the 21st Century there are not enough Hipanics or Middle Easteners in the GOP to fill a Taco joint

The number of African Americans in the GOP is so low that the margin of error puts the number in the negative.

(Which I guess means that Amrican Blacks yet to be born don't support GOP)

And Black, Brown, Yellow, or Whiite you don't get to vote in America anyway.

So why not bring American style Corporate Facism to your own country and stop sprewing your venom on Amercans who decided that they just don't like it after 30 years of declining incomes, consolidating wealth and goverance by those who don't beleive in goverment.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Im not so sure if Bush alone is to blame, Putin has done his share too for restarting the rivalry. While I do like Obama`s act, I just hope that the Russians reply in kind by stopping selling weapons to Iran and Venezuela for example.
Why would they do that? Obama sent a clear signal that he would give them back Eastern Europe, and give up nukes unilaterally, and they don't have to do a thing.

If they do not Obama will end looking like a fool. Giving something for nothing. I think that that missile shield was always a bargaining chip. For both Bush and Obama. Obama just was willing to make the first move himself.
Obama works on the leftist assumption that other countries oppose America because American governments in the past have not been nice enough. This is a truism for the American left, that the problems of the world will be solved when America stops being so arrogant.
Fair enough. This election gives them the opportunity to see how Russia and China fall in line and deliver sanctions against Iran in order to stop nuclear proliferation. Leave the Caucacus to the Russians and they will leave America's sphere of influence.
Now that would be an achievement worthy of a Nobel prize, if only that would come to pass.

I do agree, the blame is not on Obama but on the Nobel Commitee.
They are trying to bribe the US President with a Nobel into their agenda.
I wonder now how Obama is going to respond in this situations?
Hard to say. Iran is tellin ghim to get out of their backyards in Iraq and Afghanistan, and maybe that is what he will do. This is what his core of support on the left wants to, so he very wll may do so.
Whether to enlarge or scale back the effort in Afghanistan.
Yup, how he solves the Afghanistan question is really the $64,000 question.
To leave the area, abandon Bush's policy so to speak, and have peace ensue certainly would be an achievement.

What to do about Iran's nuclear aspirations?
By negotiation, by sanction or by force, or let Israel take the first punch and then get dragged into the conflict.
Or watch the region go nuclear....

His first response was to think that he would be the first president to try to negotiate with Iran. Basically Iran just spat in his face, although now that Iran's enriched uranium is being exposed, Iran is slightly more willing to negotiate—but then so was North Korea. Without the possibility of the stick, a successful nuclear program is a bigger carrot than anything that anybody else can offer.
Without China and Russia on board with sanctions, that is off the table too.

What to do about N Korea's similar desires?
South Korea has always been vulnerable to having Seoul blown off the map, were North Korea's nuclear program to be taken out by force. Teh North Koreans always knew this, and so negotiations for them always involve squeezing money out of foreigners in exchange for halts to their nuclear plan that they have no intention in falling through.
I don't thinking being nice to Kim will really be the solution here either, but we'll see.
As of yet though, nothing more achieved than under Bush and Clinton.
Same old same old again.
What to do about Honduras specifically, and the Cuban-Chavez plus disciples problem in general?
well, the Obama regime have already decided that they are onthe same side as Chavez when it comes to Honduras.

This is personal to me. There is the growing feeling that Latin America is headed for several wars within again down here. People in South America feel war is coming and governments have started to arm themselves following Chavez example. And Putin as a enabler. While Bush was busy in the Middle East.
The ME does stretch American resources too thin to do anything about South America. I strongly disagree with how the Obama government has in effect become enablers of Chavez style politics to enter in Homduras too, but then again, I am not a member of the left.
The left have little problem with what Chavez is doing.

In many ways, worse. Mexico especially is in a position where the drug cartels and criminal elements are in a position to take over.

I think that the Nobel people are quite happy to understand that Obama would not be so inclined to do so anyways.
He sees himself as a world citizen, or so it seems. It is very possible that this adulatation will play on his ego, and it is not unreasonable( though unproven) to believe that this is meant as a bribe for future actions.

The Nobels reflects on the Committee badly and that is were the now leaderless US conservative shall focus instead of in Obama. Obama`s test will come latter if he starts to show the winning of the Nobel so early in his career affects badly his future decisions.
For us on the outside(and the other side), we can only hope that for every action, there is an equal and opposite rection. This was Reagan in a former era as an antidote to the weakness of Carter. We can only hope for more of the same for the next round.

Or maybe he will actually succeed. that is what elections are all about.
Giving the other side the opportunity to show their stuff.

Upvote 0