Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
President Obama wins the peace prize. Do you think that he really deserves it in light of what he was done to promote abortion ?
No. Not at all. Even if he did not promote abortion it would not be deserved.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure which has me scratching my head more, the fact that the Nobel committee granted President Obama the Nobel Peace Prize, or that Vatican spokesman Fr. Federico Lombardi says the Vatican received the news with "appreciation":

"The awarding of the Nobel Prize for Peace to President Obama is greeted with appreciation in the Vatican, in light of the commitment demonstrated by the President for the promotion of peace in the international arena, and in particular also recently in favor of nuclear disarmament. It's hoped that this very important recognition will further encourage that commitment, which is difficult but fundamental for the future of humanity, so that the desired results will be obtained."​
Whispers makes the right point here, by quoting from former Nobel Peace Prize winner Mother Teresa:

"The greatest destroyer of peace today is abortion, because it is a direct war, a direct killing -- direct murder by the mother herself."​
So, in the Vatican's view (as Lombardi claims), someone who has only promised in words to establish peace, but has acted in deed to destroy the peace between mother and child (abortion, even late-term abortion), between scientists and new life (embryonic stem cell research), and between fruitful love and selfish sexual gratification (government-sponsorship of contraception, especially to school-age children) ... deserves this prize?

I'll leave it at that. That is, once I've quoted my Facebook status reaction:
"Well, it's official, the Nobel Peace Prize is MEANINGLESS."​

http://www.americanpapist.com/2009/10/obama-wins-nobel-peace-prize-vatican-pr.html

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do you think that he really deserves it in light of what he was done to promote abortion ?

From what I hear, his name was submitted less than two weeks after the election. And from his "track record" on abortion--religious rights and even listening to the will of the people, I'd have to also say that it isn't deserved. (Saw him admit that he hasn't done anything to deserve the honor--but I'm pretty sure that he wasn't thinking about his abortion track record.)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, nuclear proliferation only threatens the lives of 6.1 billion humans and every form of animal and plant life on the planet--save the cockroach.

I know, I know. It's not important. How in the world could I even think that the extinction of this planet is important? Silly me.

Upvote 0

Krentis

Sep 22, 2009
✟783.00
Faith
Catholic
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's interesting seeing how right wing media hosts are falling all over themselves to discredit the Nobel Peace Prize because it was given to someone they disapprove of.

But it is a bad year for Obama haters--he's bagged a degree from Notre Dame and a Nobel Peace Prize so far.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Romans 13:3

Jun 6, 2007
This side of heaven
✟112,649.00
Faith
Catholic
It's interesting seeing how right wing media hosts are falling all over themselves to discredit the Nobel Peace Prize because it was given to someone they disapprove of.

But it is a bad year for Obama haters--he's bagged a degree from Notre Dame and a Nobel Peace Prize so far.

huh? A degree from Notre Dame that turned the county upside down with protestors and police and tore a hole between the bishop and the school(not just saying, was there) and now this an award that he was nominated for only a few weeks into his office term. Sounds more like glorified participation ribbons than awards to me.

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Fantine, the Nobel Peace Prize, the Economics Prize and at least in Spanish and Portuguese, Literature prizes has long been discredited.

Peace Prize. Is given by the Norwegian Parliament, who has been dominated by social democrats for decadess. A comminion of 5 politicians.
They gave the prize to Gore for making a movie bypassing Irena Sendler (google her) who died the next year unrecognized.
They gave the prize to Carter who as a more deserving cantidade depiste his apologies to left wing dictators in Latinamerica.
They gave the prize to blood stained terrorists like Menahem Begin and Yassir Arafat.
They gave the prize to Henry Kissinger and Le Duc Tho. Le Duc Tho, gracefully rejected it, Kissinger did not.
They gave the prize to Rigorberta Menchu who mostly falsified her record fighting for human rights in Guatemala.
They gave the prize to Adolfo Perez Esquivel, who was right to denounce the killing of the Argentine Military Junta but justified the repression in Cuba and Eastern Europe. He is a communist.

Literature prizes. Well the Spanish and Portuguese expert who gives the Nobels in the Swedish Accademy is a comunist. Nearly all Spanish Language and Portuguese Nobel prizes in literature, minus Octavio Paz, the token classic liberal, has fallen to communists party membrers or sympatizers.

About the Economics Nobel well, even the left knows is a fake.

The Nobel prize for economics may need a bailout of its own | Jayati Ghosh | Comment is free | The Guardian

Last edited:
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
BTW there is a list of the far more deserving people Obama won over this year:

• Chinese Human Rights Activist Hu Jia - imprisoned for campaigning for human rights in the PRC, not as worthy as Barack Hussein Obama.
  • Wei Jingsheng, who spent 17 years in Chinese prisons for urging reforms of China's communist system. -- not as worthy as Barack Hussein Obama. (Not to mention the symbolic value of awarding a Chinese dissident on the 20th Anniversary of the Tianenmen Square Massacre.)
  • Greg Mortenson, founder of the Central Asia Institute has built nearly 80 schools, especially for girls, in remote areas of northern Pakistan and Afghanistan over the past 15 years - not as worthy as Barack Hussein Obama.
  • Prince Ghazi bin Muhammad, a philosophy professor in Jordan who risks his life by advocating interfaith dialogue between Jews and Muslims, also not as worthy as Barack Hussein Obama.
  • Afghan human rights activist Sima Samar. She currently leads the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission and serves as the U.N. special envoy to Darfur and is apparently also not as worthy as Barack Hussein Obama.

Where is Kanye West when you need him.

Upvote 0

SemperFidelis

Mean, angry Traditionalist
Jul 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟9,082.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals

I think the common theme here is Obama receiving wards he hasn't actually earned.

Let's face it, this particular awars could probably be failry accurately re-named as the "Nobel Prize for Not Being George W Bush."

Upvote 0

2Cosmic2Charlie

The Nobel Committee was very clear:

He got the award for changing the dialog.

The Palestinians are talking to the Israelis

The axis of evil is talking to the world powers

He's reach out to the Muslims

The Russian are cooperating with the Western powers on Nuclear reduction

The Americans are acting like the moral leaders the world wants and expects again for the first time in 15 years.

Obama himself said that this isn't an award he feels he won as much as an award given to the US for acting like to US that the world expects, wants and needs.

Instead of being gratuitous there are those who would rather diss the award because its an "affirmative action" Nobel prize because the President is black.

But its not about race or anything with these guys.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So he won because he is not Bush????

Even some liberals see the travesty here. Few but they do.

For example:

I like Barack Obama as much as the next liberal, but this is a farce. He’s done nothing to deserve the prize. Sure, he’s given some lovely speeches and launched some initiatives—on Iran, Israeli-Palestinian peace, climate change and nuclear disarmament—that might, if he’s really lucky and really good, make the world a more safe, more just, more peaceful world. But there’s absolutely no way to know if he’ll succeed, and by giving him the Nobel Prize as a kind of “atta boy,” the Nobel Committee is actually just highlighting the gap that conservatives have long highlighted: between Obamamania as global hype and Obama’s actual accomplishments.
• Gallery: American Nobel Peace Prize Winners But Obama will survive this award. The damage to the Nobel Committee itself will be greater. They’ve clearly fallen in love with celebrity, and with the idea of shaping the course of history—in other words, they’ve fallen in love with an absurdly grandiose conception of their role. The Nobel Prize Committee should be in the business of conferring celebrity on unknown human-rights and peace activists toiling in the most god-forsaken parts of the world; the people who really need the attention (and even the money). It should be in the business of angering powerful tyrants by giving their victims a moment in the sun. Choosing Barack Obama, who practically orbits the sun already, accomplishes the exact opposite of that. Let’s hope Obama eventually deserves this award. And let’s hope the Nobel Committee’s decision meets with such a deafening chorus of chortles and jeers that it never does something this stupid again.

Obama's Nobel Farce - The Daily Beast

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BRUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What's next... Sarah Palin winning the Pulitzer Prize or the Global World Knowlege Trophy (if there was one)... for her "potential"?

Whatever. This stuff is so pathetically sad, that it goes beyond funny... and yet, all I can do is laugh because it is so shockingly dumb.

Upvote 0