United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How is it wasting money?

Nobody put a warning on the cups, they made a law limiting the size of the cup. The cigarette comparison is faulty.

Legislation costs money.

How is the cigarrette comparison faulty?

I also notice you stayed away from my point about how limiting package sizes doesn't work as we saw in 2004.

Upvote 0

JCSr

Gunshine State
Sep 6, 2012
✟11,486.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Legislation costs money.

How is the cigarrette comparison faulty?

I also notice you stayed away from my point about how limiting package sizes doesn't work as we saw in 2004.

If it doesn't work, what is the problem? Restaurants will save money by purchasing smaller cup sizes and people will continue to guzzle down the pop, so it is a win. win!

Upvote 0

RedPaddy

Jun 1, 2012
✟3,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Really? That's your argument? What's being restricted is selling a product in certain quantities.
close, you can still get 2liters at the grocery store. what's being restricted is the individual liberty to buy a product in certain quantities from certain merchants.

Then you obviously don't buy much medicine. Ibuprofen sold over the counter is limited to 200mg doses, but with a prescription, can go much higher. But there's nothing stopping you from buying a bottle OTC and taking 4+ doses on your own.
are you arguing that the FDA should oversee soda sales as well now?

As I've stated repeatedly, the issue here is marketing and the manner in which it's delivered to consumers. Sold at a restaurant, it's designed to be consumed in one sitting vs a 2liter bottle sold at room temperature, which is designed to be consumed over multiple sittings.
so much for "to-go-cups". he American public can't be trusted with that. This is no more than another reduction in personal liberty.

I'll remember that next time I want to throw a party and buy some hookers & cocaine for my guests.
good to know that even though you have some pretty bad habits, at least you share. :thumbsup:

There are multiple factors, but in many cases, yes, Type 2 diabetes is preventable. .
I'd like to see this proven.

You're either not making money or your boss is paying you for not being there.

-Dan.
too bad the unions didn't extort more sick days for those blokes.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How much did this law cost?

I don't know how much the legislative body of NY makes per hour...

Whatever that number is...multiply that by the number of hours they spent discussing it and drafting up the details.

Plus, whatever group is in charge of enforcing it will probably require a budget increase as well. (I'm assuming they are planning on enforcing it...if they're making a law with no intention to enforce it, then it's definitely a waste)

Upvote 0

JCSr

Gunshine State
Sep 6, 2012
✟11,486.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat

Whatever that number is...multiply that by the number of hours they spent discussing it and drafting up the details.
They would have gotten paid if they would have discussed this or some other issue. There was not additional costs incurred in discussing this issue. If they would have passed no laws this year the same salaries would still have to be paid.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Plus, whatever group is in charge of enforcing it will probably require a budget increase as well. (I'm assuming they are planning on enforcing it...if they're making a law with no intention to enforce it, then it's definitely a waste)

Don't forget defending it from the eventual lawsuits.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They would have gotten paid if they would have discussed this or some other issue. There was not additional costs incurred in discussing this issue. If they would have passed no laws this year the same salaries would still have to be paid.

Time is money...that's time they could've spent on something else

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RedPaddy

Jun 1, 2012
✟3,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Time is money...that's time they could've spent on something else
then again, considering this is NY we are talking about and how notoriously liberal they have shown themselves to be, perhaps having them consume time on this is not as bad as having them take up serious legislation....

Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you withdrawing the money point?

Nope...

Taxpayers pay them to do their job...if we make cup-size regulation part of their job...that means the taxpayers are paying for cup-size regulation.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They did their job.

Really, did the people of NY request this?

From what I'm reading, people are opposing (and even protesting) this.

If the majority of people in NY don't want the ban, using tax money to put it in place would be taxation without representation.

Upvote 0

JCSr

Gunshine State
Sep 6, 2012
✟11,486.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Really, did the people of NY request this?

From what I'm reading, people are opposing (and even protesting) this.

If the majority of people in NY don't want the ban, using tax money to put it in place would be taxation without representation.
There was no taxation and there was no tax. People got paid for doing their job.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There was no taxation and there was no tax. People got paid for doing their job.

Since when was trying control how much soda someone drinks a function of the legislative branch?

Tax dollars are used to pay the salaries of city & state lawmakers. Everything they do is with tax payer money. (Unless there are some that are just volunteering and working for free?)

Upvote 0

JCSr

Gunshine State
Sep 6, 2012
✟11,486.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Since when was trying control how much soda someone drinks a function of the legislative branch?

Tax dollars are used to pay the salaries of city & state lawmakers. Everything they do is with tax payer money. (Unless there are some that are just volunteering and working for free?)

No matter how you try to spin this, there is no tax involved. Taxation without representation is not what you claim it to be.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This is so stupid. We can buy cigarettes that cause lung cancer, but the government thinks the size of my Coke is going to kill me? Makes you wonder what is next. Maybe we can't buy any milk except fat free milk in sizes over a pint?

Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0