1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Soda Law

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Chris81, Sep 16, 2012.

1. JCSr

JCSr Gunshine State

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Are you in favor of the government requiring that restaurants and food vendors to keep cold food 41 degrees and lower and hot food 140 degrees and over?

2. mattyoung

mattyoung Member

Faith:
    Christian
    a) As a whole yes, apparently.
    b) Yea it is your choice so buy another one, and another one, and another one.

3. JCSr

JCSr Gunshine State

Faith:
    Agnostic
    When was the last time you went into a restaurant and ordered a soda? Did the bring you out a large gulp 44 oz belly buster, or did they bring you a regular 16 oz glass with a straw? Did they oblige when you asked for a refill or did the server simply ask if you needed a refill?

You can still drive to a convience store and get your large gulp 44 oz belly buster.

Where is the problem?

4. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

Faith:
    Other-Religion
    Global? This was an action by the CITY of New York.

-Dan.

5. dollarsbill

dollarsbill New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    No, it's my choice not to. But I want that choice.

6. dollarsbill

dollarsbill New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    The problem is it's none of their business if I want to have a large drink.

7. JCSr

JCSr Gunshine State

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Apparently it is.

8. miniverchivi

miniverchivi Separate Entirely... Supporter

Faith:
    Atheist
    Do you have any studies to support this?

The studies I've found pertaining to the costs are all flawed in terms of how the conducted the tests.

When calculating the costs, they didn't break out the BMI groups they way they should have to get their stats.

From the CDC/JOEM joint study:
    Results of the study revealed that within the high BMI range of 25 to 45 kg/m, medical and pharmaceutical costs were significantly higher than those whose BMI was within the normal range.

25 to 45? that's too wide of a range. That would include both a person who is 6 foot 1 & 180lbs and a person who is 5 foot 10 and 450lbs in the same group for stat purposes.

Essentially with the study they did it worked somethign like this, they took 5 morbidly obese people (450lbs) and one 180lbs person and that was one group...then they took six 170lbs people and put them in the other group.

Calculated the healthcare costs (which would obviously be higher for group A since they have 5 people who are 450lbs), and concluded that a the 180lbs person racked up 45% more in healthcare costs than the 170lbs person based on the averages of the two groups.

In an independent study done by a doctor in Norway, who was nice enough to break out the costs in to more granular BMI groups:

For persons with BMIs of 20 to 24.9 kg/m(2), mean (+/-SE) annual costs of prescription drugs, outpatient services, inpatient care, and all medical care averaged $261

For persons with BMIs of 25 to 29.9 kg/m(2), mean (+/-SE) annual costs of prescription drugs, outpatient services, inpatient care, and all medical care averaged $268

For persons with BMIs of 30 to 34.9 kg/m(2), mean (+/-SE) annual costs of prescription drugs, outpatient services, inpatient care, and all medical care averaged $302

For persons with BMIs of 35 to 39.9 kg/m(2), mean (+/-SE) annual costs of prescription drugs, outpatient services, inpatient care, and all medical care averaged $840

For persons with BMIs of 40 kg/m(2)+, mean (+/-SE) annual costs of prescription drugs, outpatient services, inpatient care, and all medical care averaged $1,189

For the CDC style study, the lumped all the green together and compared that to the blue.

However, when the groups are broken out, it tells a very different story.

Other studies (like this one http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/ftpdocs/118xx/doc11810/09-08-obesity_brief.pdf) have been done that conclude essentially the same thing...which is costs don't start shooting up until you hit that BMI 35 mark.
    (If you were 6 foot... that would be the 265lbs mark)

According to the stats, a 6 foot person who weighed 240 actually averages less healthcare costs that a person who is 6 foot and 160.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  9. Sistrin

Sistrin Rightful King of Westeros

Faith:
    Christian
    Here is a picture of health:

[​IMG]

And another:

[​IMG]

And a few more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, these are the people we want telling us about our health.

10. mpok1519

mpok1519 Veteran

Faith:
    Christian
    Notice my "lol" at the end of the post?

11. HalfoffSale

HalfoffSale Newbie

Faith:
    Catholic
    I agree it's manipulation. There's so much talk of the government and freedom, but shouldn't I be protected from manipulation of my biology? Even animals do it, so it's not exactly a "learned western thing" as others are suggesting. It's innate, because previously you never knew where your next meal was coming from. It's not like this is something new either. There are all sorts of ways to manipulate people, from the Authority Shock tests to that Mystery guy having a show devoted to conning women at bars.

In this case we literally have a discovered science that allows one to bypass normal human behavior, so I would think discussing protections from manipulation would be relevant here. And to those opposing the ban on grounds of "freedom of choice," how far are you willing to go? Am I allowed to use other forms of manipulation and other psychology tricks?

12. HalfoffSale

HalfoffSale Newbie

Faith:
    Catholic

You do understand BMI is a measure of populations, not individuals, right?

13. miniverchivi

Faith:
    Atheist
  14. HalfoffSale

HalfoffSale Newbie

Faith:
    Catholic
    I do get tired of correcting your use of science and statistics.

From the wikipedia article YOU linked. First paragraph of "Usage."

15. miniverchivi

Faith:
    Atheist
    And I get tired of you trying derail this debate with semantics.

yes, it's used for population studies...but it's calculated by height & weight of the individual.

In the way the studies they were using were conducted, they were measuring the BMI's of the individuals who participated in the studies.

Yes, they use the average BMI ranges for the groups. However the data they compile is derived from the BMI calculations they performed on the individuals.

Even if you want to view the BMI stats in terms of populations, I've already proven that there's no significant health care costs or mortality risks for populations in the 25-29.9 BMI range. You can't justify government-regulated diets based on junk science.
    Why don't you address the stats rather than trying to refocus the debate on use of terminology?

According to the stats, the group that is statistically at higher risk of cost and mortality only makes up ~2% of the population. The amount of money that would be saved by forcing a diet on them would be offset by the cost of regulation and enforcement. (Not to mention some of the extremely obese are a victim of their genetics and no diet in the world would ever make them thin)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  16. HalfoffSale

HalfoffSale Newbie

Faith:
    Catholic

I'm not sure why you're doubling down on incorrectly using statistics. I'm on your side in this debate. Banning larger cups is stupid. However, if you'd like to continue misapplying the metric, then by all means proceed.

17. mattyoung

mattyoung Member

Faith:
    Christian
    It would apply to these people if they were in New York as well!

18. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

Faith:
    Christian
  19. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

Faith:
    Christian
    So why is it OK to sell them 4 x 16 ounce drinks but not ok to sell 1 x 64 ounce drink ?

20. conamer

conamer Guest

Because tha nanny state feels better now that they have their way.