Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But at the same time I would be wrong if I accepted it - because it is such an extraordinary claim, and there is no evidence at all.
I admit it is an extraordinary claim with no evidence at all --- but I've cut through all that by making it clear what happened.

You don't need evidence in this case --- I'm the evidence --- (if you want to look at it that way).

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
I admit it is an extraordinary claim with no evidence at all --- but I've cut through all that by making it clear what happened.

You don't need evidence in this case --- I'm the evidence --- (if you want to look at it that way).
You can't be trusted.

Upvote 0

MrGoodBytes

Seeker for life, probably
Mar 4, 2006
✟22,772.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Is "I" the real AV1611VET we know, or are "you" a hypothetical you?

Reactions: Athrond
Upvote 0

Athrond

May 7, 2007
✟8,175.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Yes I agree. And maybe if your hypotetical self donated his brain to science so that someone in the future could reconstruct the memories of the apple event we'd have evidence.

The problem of using you as evidence is one of credibility. There are so many crackpots saying all sort of wierd things (Scientology anyone), so when you SAY something like this the "face value" or whatever you call it is very low :/

Maybe if you created something quite unusual ex nihilo and gave it to me?

I mean, should I believe things like your scenario? I think if my ancestors were that accepting I might not be here to appreciate this dilema :)

A.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I ask you a contrived question designed to support my opinions and disregard any response other than the one I expect to hear.

How can you answer my question without it being a complete waste of time?
By ignoring it.

Upvote 0

justsomefool

Jan 16, 2008
London, England
✟7,641.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I notice that a lot of things in this thread have been ignored.

This for example...

This is the famous apple challenge?

Yes, if you truly created an apple ex nihlio, and if I refused to believe it, I would be wrong.

But we can say this about anything. For example.

If I proved that God did not exist, how can you refuse to accept it without being wrong?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why are there 'a lot of things in this thread' in the first place?

Has it been junked up with verbiage?

Upvote 0

Tomatoman

Feb 3, 2010
✟1,829.00
Faith
Anglican

Av didn't get to maintain his beliefs for as long as he has without ignoring lots and lots things. I mean, he has most of reality on ignore for a start, although he would say he has it on a highly selective filter setting.

Upvote 0

justsomefool

Jan 16, 2008
London, England
✟7,641.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why are there 'a lot of things in this thread' in the first place?

Has it been junked up with verbiage?

I would assume that people were inferring there was more to the OP than stating that "If A is true then how can you deny A and not be wrong?".

You know, maybe there might be some kind of analogy or something?

If there isn't, then there is no point whatsoever to the thread is there? (Yes or no answer please ;) )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

justsomefool

Jan 16, 2008
London, England
✟7,641.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
You'll forgive me for being somewhat pedantic but I have noticed that my question (which i thank for answering so succinctly), could be interpreted in more than one way. Could you confirm that there is no analogy present and as such no point to this thread?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You'll forgive me for being somewhat pedantic but I have noticed that my question (which i thank for answering so succinctly), could be interpreted in more than one way. Could you confirm that there is no analogy present and as such no point to this thread?
No

Upvote 0

Tiberius

Jun 28, 2005
✟6,911.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I present to you an apple that was created ex nihilo.

How can you refuse to accept that --- without being wrong?

I present to you the Bible, a book which was written by many different people of many centuries and had no influence from any kind of God or supernatural being and which describes events that, while having some moral component, do not describe actual events.

How can you refuse to accept that without being wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you but from what I have seen so far I won't be staying.

It seems that you people believe for the sake of believing and for no other reason so talking about your beliefs would be futile and without purpose, it's like discussing the weather on Proxima Centauri it has no meaning whatsoever to us here on earth.

But I wish you well because I have a feeling you will need all the luck you can get, one word of advise if I may, don't leave home unless you go in a group.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I have a feeling that none of you decided to be Creationists for yourselves I think you were coerced, no one would willingly choose a belief like yours.

Afon, not all Christians are like AV1611Vet.
Quite a large population of Christians have no problem with Evolution, an Earth with an age of 4.54 billion years , or even not being the Center of everything.

But their are a few outlanders on the bell curve, every population has em.

Upvote 0

Tiberius

Jun 28, 2005
✟6,911.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
By kindy asking you to take it to another thread.

Why? it's the same question that you are asking.

If I show you something that is right, but you think it is wrong, how can you disagree with it without being mistaken? Isn't that what you were asking in your OP?

Asking me to take it to another thread is not answering the question, it's just avoiding the issue.

Do you often try to ignore things that are hard for you to answer while maintaining your beliefs?

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
* Bumped for 2011 *
If it was created there must have been a creator, so it wasn´t created ex nihilo. Ex nihilo creation is an oxymoron.

Whatever - since the premise of your question is that you were right there is no way to prove that you would be wrong.

Your point being?

Upvote 0