Mom upset over controversial ISIS homework assignment

Black Dog

Sep 20, 2015
✟4,870.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
http://abc13.com/news/mom-upset-over-controversial-isis-homework-assignment/1100149/

HOUSTON (KTRK) --
The mother of a ninth grade HISD student is furious over a homework assignment that instructed students to analyze the words of an ISIS recruiter.

The assignment was given to the 9th grade geography class just days after the terror attacks in Paris.

ABC-13 obtained a copy of the assignment. It instructs students to analyze the point of view of several passages and identify the subject, occasion, audience, purpose and speaker (S.O.A.P)....

Thoughts?

University yes. High School and earlier, inappropriate.

EDIT: After reading some of the posts in this thread, I'm not quite so sure of this opinion. What I don't like is how current the news is, but the point raised by keith99 about letting kids analyze the recruiting first hand is very good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does determining the subject of a quote, the occasion being referred to, the intended audience, the purpose of the quote, and the speaker of the quote require presenting both sides of an issue?

Reread the post I was responding to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This:

Is how you know when you have won an argument, when your opponent has nothing to fall back on other than sophomoric personal attacks.

Nothing to fall back on? Lol. I've already asked you a couple times to better explain your position and you refuse to. Why should I believe you have an answer if you won't give one?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
University yes. High School and earlier, inappropriate.

EDIT: After reading some of the posts in this thread, I'm not quite so sure of this opinion. What I don't like is how current the news is, but the point raised by keith99 about letting kids analyze the recruiting first hand is very good.

ISIS may be a current issue, but the Cole bombing was 15 years ago and OBL has been dead for 4.5 years. It's current, but not that current.

Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'd hate to think that as a society that we are so afraid of allowing students to think for themselves that we're going to utterly fail to educate them at all.

Of course I say that knowing full well that it's a little late, we've already been doing this for years.

-CryptoLutheran

I've several times taught on critical and analytical thinking.

I often start here, on "trusting what you are told"
News1.jpg

But if people are not taught to think on this, what often happens is that they gravitate to the news source which most accommodates what they already think (for want of a better word). This source is then taken to be "good" and all others subject to criticism for not matching it: a self selecting and self-sustaining procedure.
This is hardly new in secular or religious life.. 2Tim 4:3.

Learn to spot the Fnords, folks: the unstated assumptions, the things carefully not said, the things said that could have been said differently...

And yes, why not use up-to-date materials for connection and sharpness?
Better than long-dead issues with no (apparent) relevance. For beginners, at least.

A fine state the world would be in if people just believed what they were told.
Ah...

Chris

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Terrorist supporters of ISIS in Phoenix are attempting to recruit high school students, according to the controversial and outspoken former president of the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association.......What the FBI communicated to officers is that Phoenix is a hotbed for ISIS activity,” Spencer told New Times. “That means, in this specific [area of the city], ISIS is recruiting high school-age residents.”

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...ers-ex-phoenix-police-union-boss-says-7851571

Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
"Terrorist supporters of ISIS in Phoenix are attempting to recruit high school students, "

And if the high school students are uninformed on counterarguments, and /or are informed how presentations can be duplicitous, can be spun or distorted, or have hidden agendas or assumptions... they will be all the more easily taken in.

The right answer to dangerous propaganda is not
"Don't believe their propaganda, believe *our* propaganda!" (which is often second rate, as it happens)

It's far more to train people to spot what a hidden agenda and manipulative techniques can produce.
And that takes exposure and practice. Of course, it works in every direction, not just as an anti-ISIS measure.

When you catch someone from "your own side" using similar tactics, a degree of awareness has been achieved.

But there are still so many who have not been taught, or learned for themselves, that a case or argument is not made one iota more true or valid by being presented with either high emotion or high volume (or both)
This still gets used because it still gets through to people... when it should not.

Even getting that into the public mind would be an improvement.

Chris

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I agree with keith99 said. We are talking about a ninth grader (freshman in High School). I don't think that is to young to start seeing quotes about the enemy that will rock their world in a couple of years. Younger kids (depending on maturity level) may not be in the age group to appreciate this. A freshman in high school? They are a young adult at this point, and they are capable of stepping out a little into adult realities.

This woman was upset because they quoted (ISIS) what they wanted from their women that join. How Bin Ladin views human life. Yes, it isn't pretty. I have to wonder if her child isn't a bit sheltered. I remember my kids at that age asking ALL kinds of questions about current events, and some aspects of history they lived though...but couldn't really remember because they were young. Current events opens young people's eyes that not everywhere on this globe do we see things via western lenses.

Trying to explain the concept of 'honor' for example in the middle east was a tough one for me. The definition is completely different than how we use it. How Patriarchy on steroids in some parts of the world works? They were appalled, and couldn't understand why they woman couldn't leave. That was a hard discussion too. The realities of people in different parts of the world are shocking at times to young people, and I don't see this assignment as bad. It starts a discussion at school no doubt, and then it could continue at home.

Honestly? I think in many ways it woke my kids up to how coddled we are here compared to many parts of the world. That isn't meant as a cut down just the reality of it.

Quote from article:

Theresa Bosley's daughter is in that 9th grade class. Bosley found out about her daughter's assignment by chance. She said if you are going to teach about ISIS, don't stop there.

"I'm all about education. I have a juris in education. Yes. We should teach about ISIS. But let's teach the facts. Let's teach who they are and what happened. Let's teach about Paris in Lebanon. Let's teach about the 21 Christians that were beheaded," said Bosley. "Let's teach about the school kids that were kidnapped, 200 of them, from their school. Where are they now?"

1711.gif

If she truly KNEW about education? She would realize that in history class they would go into more of what she spoke about. You touch on this aspects in the class she is complaining about.

The above chart of pencils is a program they use in elementary school for example. If they are working on 'caring' each teacher EVEN GYM CLASS would speak about how to show 'caring' behavior towards others. The next week they do fairness. That's not to say you don't get into baseball in gym class, or vowels in English. Teachers tend to incorporate this into their lessons.

As they get older? You move on to bigger themes for that age group.

For all we know current events could be the subject of the week in High School. Her kid's English class will use the quotes from current events to incorporate parts of the lessons that the history teachers dives into more deeply.

This isn't an uncommon practice, and if this mother KNEW education? She would know that too. I mean she wants the English Teacher to teach ONLY about Isis, and leave out the writing lesson? Please.

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Reread the post I was responding to.
Ok, I did. Can you answer my question now? How does promoting the critical thinking skills I asked you about (determining the subject of a quote, the occasion being referred to, the intended audience, the purpose of the quote, and the speaker of the quote) require presenting both sides of an issue?

Upvote 0