Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I mean when I was flatting and the home I was in was going to be sold, renovated whatever I knew I had to make plans to move and do it, not just stay there to the last minute expecting someone to take pity on me.

Well, my mum did that without even being asked, but this lady has no mum now and she can't stay with her brothers. But anyway, I made the effort to look and consider places. At the time, I couldn't have afforded my own place but if somewhere was suitable I would have snapped it up.

I had a job commitment though so it had to be near work. with this lady, she can move anywhere in nz.

Upvote 0

shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
well, sigh...I will be in church tomorrow so he might be there and I can ask him.
she doesn't go to my church though so he would have no idea who she is and I would have to explain the whole thing again. I don't know the exact name of the church she told me she goes to, I know its one in town...

The reason I suggest a Pastor is that I know my Pastor has ways of connecting people with agencies or whatever is needed to help people in different circumstances. They dont have to know them. Like here, I was in a situation where since I am disabled and in a wheelchair now but didnt qualify for regular disability and what I get isnt much, well the place I moved to needed steps to get up to the back porch and the house sits a good 6 foot off the ground on one end. Well at that time it was when I wasnt attending church anywhere but I asked a Pastor of a church in my town if they could help because I didnt have enough money to make steps, well they sent two guys out and they built my steps and didnt ask for anything, I offered them what little I had but they refused it, now thats Christians. Another time, before I became disabled, I was having trouble and my church helped me that month with my utilities. Anyway thats why I suggested a Pastor.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
well thats an idea.
Would I just say I think maybe my friend is suffering dementia though? What kind of help would I ask for, a place to stay or proper respite care?
my pastor feels bad enough he can't deal with the homeless who dirty the church property and when I asked one of the guys who does the community meal about them he says they make that choice...every option is given but they just don't take it.
With the hoarder lady the elders went round and liased with the council but I don't know what the outcome was if she got help for her hoarding problem and when I did ask my pastor about it if he heard from her he said she refused all the help they gave her so he doesn't deal with her anymore.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ok well she does go to a church so i thought they would be looking after her and praying as well.
Maybe i just pray that she gets whatever assistance she needs from them.

I agree its harder if a person doesnt go to your church because you not in fellowship with them every week. Church members would have the resources and prayer chains etc to deal with it all. She could have asked her pastor or put a notice in her church bulletin about needing accomodation.
I am not her mother shes old enough to be mine.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
As far as i know she goes to a charismatic one in town, but dont know the name of it. Anyway, I just dont know enough to be of any help, so I shouldnt feel bad that I cant do anything.

Its funny as she said she had a vision for me in prayer and it was lovely but I dont know for sure what it means if its literal or symbolic. Basically she described a white lacy umbrella for me. She had visions for everyone in our group.
Now I dont receive visions like that but other people seem to have that gift and tell me.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you know her pastor?

I understand that we need to do things as family with other Jesus people. You said people you know told you about her. So, you can stay with acting with people you know are spiritual > > > Galatians 6:1, Hebrews 5:2, James 5:16. And you can do what you find God guides you to do with each other. Trust each other and do pray, and stay with doing precisely what God satisfies and encourages you to do in His peace, and see how well He works this out.

Stay with good example . . . in the sight of God >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

And pray the way God has us pray > Philippians 4:6-7 >

"and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7)

If she prays the way God has her pray, her spiritual mind will be kept by God's own peace, even while she may have physical brain and other infirmities. This apparently worked for Paul our example > 2 Corinthians 12:7-15. Once Paul was doing things in God's grace he could take "pleasure" in his "infirmities".

Be an example of this for her, so this can feed her. You can be the scripture (2 Corinthians 3:3) to encourage her :) I'm not talking about physical brain function, here, but "be renewed in the spirit of your mind." (in Ephesians 4:23) God's spiritual peace is in His power almighty to keep our spiritual minds, even while we can have physical infirmities of our brains and other parts of our bodies. So, I understand it is good to pray with others and keep with being good examples of staying in His peace in our spiritual minds, and obey how our Heavenly Father rules us in our hearts >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

All God's children are "called in one body" to this; so this is a basic of being a Christian. Another basic, in case any of us is not obeying this, is Hebrews 12:4-11 < how our Father corrects all of us. We all need to actively seek our Father for the correction He knows we need, which He Himself does in us > producing "the peaceable fruit of righteousness" > and Hebrews 12:8 is very clear how He does this with all of us who are His children. This is spiritual correction, deeper than physical "infirmities".

Actually, if her pastor is a Christian and scripturally qualified to pastor > 1 Timothy 3:1-10 > I think it is his responsibility to take care of her, and Hebrews 13:17 says we are to obey those who are responsible for us. So, though, you can offer him things you know and offer to help along with him and his church; possibly God would have you go through your own pastor to contact him. Do things as family. Encourage her to share with you all as family >

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." (Ephesians 4:2-3)

And together you can tell, prayerfully, how she really is, and if she is being Christian family (Ephesians 4:31-32, Ephesians 5:1-2, Ephesians 5:21, Colossians 3:12-15) with you. But there are people who have their own idol of independence, and this can cut them off from the loving they can share. And I will offer > a person who is physically sick can still keep on loving, if he or she is a deeply and spiritually loving person > "Love does no harm to a neighbor," we have in Romans 13:10. But, of course, we all are not perfect. This is why we have the "longsuffering" (Ephesians 4:2) part in our basic Christian love calling :)

Any of us can be an impossible case, still. This is where we give all to God in prayer, and stay with how we can help each other, and not get isolated with our own little idols of independence while supposing we are trying to help someone. We can find others to share with and help us to help others :)

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:3)

We need to be humble to acknowledge how You, God our Father, are the One who truly cares about us . . . better than we can care about our own selves and others.

By the way, if you have a good pastor and maybe if she has, each of you can get what you need by listening to whatever he preaches > trust God to use him :) Listen carefully to whatsoever he says, and God is able to apply this :)

God bless you :)

Bill

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its easy to be judgmental but not easy to see clearly.

I agree with others who say that this lady shouldn't be judged. Even if she is using you, its better to let her use you because that's what the Lord teaches us. He says to give unto every man who asks, and don't expect to get it back. He also says to pray and do good for those that persecute us, and use us.

The apostle paul teaches us that its good to allow ourselves to be dreauded by others, rather than to go to court over disputes.

THe biggest thing though, that I can think of, is that we cant always see clearly and our judgment might just be clouded by our love for worldly things like our money for example.

I once judged a lady wrongly, and it haunts me to this day. She was mentally disturbed, she smelled bad, and she needed my help. I will not go into detail, but I will say that since then I have found myself in her shoes, and I know what it feels like to be mentally disturbed, and to have others judge you, and to seek help and not find it.

Try not to judge, but instead treat her as an equal, and try to help her if you can. That's my advice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just speaking in general. I see a struggle within myself. I love money and I wont lie about it. I'm glad however that I am poor, because it opens my eyes to the suffering around me. I experience what it means to be poor and so I am blessed. It sure isn't easy though.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also im not judging her. Im just describing her behaviours and how it affects me and everyone around her. No i dont know her pastor. I dont know anybody in her church.

I only know her from a writers group. We have been praying all the time for her. Maybe i could email them all and say something, but I dont know if I should say shes suffering from dementia, and to help her, as we live all over the place, and all got our own things to deal with. Eg one whos known her longest said not to worry.
Another said she just needs to live in the real world.

How can they all pray and be of any practical help if thats their attitude. Nobody has a place for her to stay in. She refuses all help. I have commitments and cant just drop everything to help her. No, its nothing to do with my money. I have classes.

She actually has money to spend but wont spend it.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Also im not judging her. Im just describing her behaviours and how it affects me and everyone around her. No i dont know her pastor. I dont know anybody in her church.

I only know her from a writers group. We have been praying all the time for her. Maybe i could email them all and say something, but I dont know if I should say shes suffering from dementia, and to help her, as we live all over the place, and all got our own things to deal with. Eg one whos known her longest said not to worry.
Another said she just needs to live in the real world.

How can they all pray and be of any practical help if thats their attitude. Nobody has a place for her to stay in. She refuses all help. I have commitments and cant just drop everything to help her. No, its nothing to do with my money. I have classes.

She actually has money to spend but wont spend it.

How do you know she has money? Maybe you could help her find an apartment then. I don't know, I was just sharing my thoughts about the topic. I know nothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I cant give her a room in my house as i dont have any to give to her. She cant stay in my bedroom, theres no bed. And the study i am using, theres literally no room. Im not allowed to anyway. She asked to stay with me, i cant.

If i had a sleepout i would be i dont.

Upvote 0