House GOP Leader McCarthy Opposes Commission on Jan 6; It passes with 35 GOP votes (fails in Senate)

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I would say that is a bit extreme of a word but she has been replaced. I think she should be thrown out of the party myself that is my idea of oust (expel).

Kind of like how the American people ousted Donald from the White House?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
No, I am totally against QAnan. I consider myself both a Democrat and a Republican... With Libertarian leanings.

...What I'm not is an independent, because I like the big main parties.
From my perspective you come across as a right leaning centrist.

• Informative
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
LINK

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy came out in strong opposition to the bipartisan deal, but GOP sources familiar with the matter said that as many as 40 House Republicans could back the plan — in part because of the 29 GOP members of the bipartisan Problem Solvers Caucus, a group that endorsed the plan Tuesday.

In the latest sign that House Republican leadership wants the conference united behind McCarthy's opposition, Minority Whip Steve Scalise's office sent a letter to members informing them that the leadership was now advocating Republicans vote against the legislation, which was a reversal from GOP leadership's previous position to not lobby their members on the measure.

GOP leadership is worried that too many members will listen to their conscience. Time for the whip to give them their marching orders.

Looks likes it's up to McConnell to stop this investigation before it digs up the truth.

The GOP picked the best man for the job.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The bill passed with 35 Republicans joining the Democratic majority.
[Link borked]

Gettysburg Address II:
“One and three-quarters score Republicans bravely cast their lot in on the side of ‘Law and Order’!

The rest of the GOP thought Donald was the Law and they were behind him 100% to follow his Order.
His New World Order [Beethoven.wav], with Ivanka Kushner selected to get the Patents for the New Flag of Trumpelvania!”—President Harris, 2025

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
People who want investigations for every little thing remind me of those sue-happy people. I just let stuff go, and move on a lot of times, to avoid being bogged down in negative energy.
True, Benghazi and Hillary's email investigations were a huge waste of time and money.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Of course he’s opposed to it. I doubt he wants anyone finding out just how deeply involved the GOP leadership was in trying to overturn the election and end our 249 year run of democracy just for Trump.
Imagine thinking Donald Trump could be the next George Washington. No, seriously, some view him exactly like that.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't see the difference.... Violent protest turns destructive, government officials are attacked in both instances. Same for same.

...What's the difference, in reality? Going by what actually happened, the results from each were almost exactly the same.
But okay...let’s have a BLM investigation too?
What’s say?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True, Benghazi and Hillary's email investigations were a huge waste of time and money.

As well as the Trump investigations... Those investigations changed nothing.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only 35?

A violent attack stopped the proceedings of our legislative body and a majority of Republicans don't think it warrants a commission?

Why? [those opposed, in your own words I really would like to hear your reasoning]

The way I see it, a commission will change nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Trump investigations were not derailed for lack of evidence. They were derailed because the White House was a "sanctuary" in which he had several layers of protection:
  • his office
  • his attorney general, William Barr
  • the House of Representatives (until 1/2019) and Senate with Republican majorities
  • dozens of lawyers whose sole purpose was to launch lawsuits against "enemies," defend lawsuits against him, and refuse to comply with dozens of subpoenas for evidence.
He no longer lives in that sanctuary or enjoys the privileges of sanctuary, and it appears that the cause of justice will be served.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Trump investigations were not derailed for lack of evidence. They were derailed because the White House was a "sanctuary" in which he had several layers of protection:
  • his office
  • his attorney general, William Barr
  • the House of Representatives (until 1/2019) and Senate with Republican majorities
  • dozens of lawyers whose sole purpose was to launch lawsuits against "enemies," defend lawsuits against him, and refuse to comply with dozens of subpoenas for evidence.
He no longer lives in that sanctuary or enjoys the privileges of sanctuary, and it appears that the cause of justice will be served.

So that's the goal...? To try and build yet another case to prosecute Trump..? o_O

Sorry, but I don't think that's a very honorable objective. It comes off as almost obsessive. I think most people are looking for other players, but I guess nobody really knows what they're looking for - I suppose the majority of those who support this commission, would support just about any investigation as an opportunity to form a offensive against their perceived "enemies".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The way I see it, a commission will change nothing.

That could be the recommendation of the commission - do nothing. That doesn't mean we should not have one though.....

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Two and a half years and $7 million investigating Benghazi---and refusing to participate in a bipartisan investigation of 1/6?

That tells me everything about the Republican Party I need to know.

With or without bipartisan support the House should thoroughly investigate 1/6, because we need to learn the truth and prevent similar actions in the future.

From what I saw of the House during the impeachment hearings, Republicans, who staged sit-ins and spent far too much time grandstanding, added little to the process.

If there is a bipartisan committee, I hope that the Republicans on the committee are representatives who treat the process respectfully and seriously.
What do the Dems hope to gain from this?

• Useful
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Facts would be nice. There have been reports that the Capitol Police were hamstringed, which is why it looks like they were dragging their feet in the response to the rioters.

Now, a commission could investigate and determine that these nasty rumors were just that -- rumors, with no truth to them. Who wouldn't want to debunk some ugly rumors?

Oh, right... the GOP.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Criminal proceedings are already going on.

This commission would (among other things) look into any failures of intelligence-gathering, intelligence-sharing, preparation, National guard response, and the Capitol police. Things that aren't crimes, but that Congress is well-suited to address with new legislation, or a big fat pile of advice on policies for the Executive Branch.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This sidesteps Pelosi's rejection of a bipartisan commission to explore involvements in BLM riots alongside the Jan 6 insurrection.
Wouldn't these be two entirely separate things to investigate?

Why would you set up a single commission to investigate both at the same time?

I'm not opposed to investigations into either, but it seems very odd to mix these together.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Republican members opposing an investigation into riots in the Capitol meant to disrupt peaceful transition of power due to a democratic election, just shows that the Republicans have something to hide.

Upvote 0