House takes key step forward on foreign aid [Ukraine, Israel, etc.] bills with bipartisan support, setting up final vote Saturday [PASSED]

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟832,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The House voted Friday in a bipartisan manner to advance a key foreign aid package, a significant step in sending aid to Ukraine and Israel and setting up a final vote as soon as Saturday.

Three bills in the foreign aid package would provide aid for Ukraine, Israel and the Indo-Pacific region, with the latter intended to help deter Chinese aggression in the area. A fourth bill includes other House GOP priorities, including sanctions on Iran, the seizure of frozen Russian sovereign assets and a measure that could lead to a nationwide ban of TikTok.

In an extraordinary move, more Democrats (165) supported the measure than Republicans (151). The Democratic votes were necessary to overcome opposition from Speaker Mike Johnson’s right flank, who will likely only increase their calls to oust him.

The GOP-led House Rules Committee late Thursday night also used Democratic support to advance the bills.

Rep. Thomas Massie on Tuesday said he would co-sponsor Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s motion to vacate, which would boot Johnson from the speakership if it passed

[Rep Gosar has thirded that sentiment.]

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,434,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Johnson seems to have found a spine this past week. He almost sounded like Reagan in speaking to the Ukranian situation.

For the sake of Ukraine, I hope the House passes the bills on Saturday.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,094,746.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I hope they vote "yes" on Ukraine and the Indo-Pacific bills.

I think we have to let Israel know that we are going to set conditions on our aid. As a sovereign nation, they can practice genocide in Gaza (incurring the anger of most of the world) and bomb an Iranian airport (for those of you who don't know, before Iran bombed Israel last Saturday Israel started the conflict by bombing the Iranian embassy in Syria, killing seven of their top generals.) They can do those things, but we don't have to pay for them. We can send them a message that while we support Israel, we don't support the actions of their current Prime Minister, and that if they expect our continued friendship, they'll clean up their act.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟175,047.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
we don't support the actions of their current Prime Minister
Perhaps you aren't aware, but there is a unity-government in Israel right now, formed by Netanyahu and the leader of the opposition (Benny Gantz). These decisions aren't "the actions of the current Prime Minister" but the decisions of both sides of the political spectrum in Israel. There is wide consensus in Israel about the war in Gaza and these strikes on/against Iran.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,094,746.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In that case, I don't support the actions of their "coalition" government.

As I said, they can do what they want, but we don't have to support it. Our withholding aid temporarily will put pressure on Israel to come to their senses, to remember the persecution their ancestors suffered and to regain their moral compass as God's chosen people.

You don't kill, maim, starve and persecute 3.2 million Palestinians to capture 30,000 Hamas terrorists. And yes, the fact that they are already planning beachfront condominiums on the Mediterranean coast has not escaped me either.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,434,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The House is bi-partisan for a day...

A rare coalition of Democrats and Republicans — 316 — voted overwhelmingly to pass the procedural measure, known as a rule, to advance the four-part legislation Friday morning. In a sign of how tenuous this move is for Republicans, more Democrats — 165 — voted for the rule than Republicans — 151.

A majority of House Republicans supported Johnson’s plan despite a far-right threat to oust him if he advanced Ukraine aid.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟832,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

House passes Ukraine aid bill

Republicans:

Yes: 101
No: 112
Present: 1

Democrats:

Yes: 210
No: 0

House passes Israel aid bill (366-58)​

The Nays were 21 R, 37 D

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟90,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Republicans:

Democrats:

House passes Israel aid bill (366-58)​

The Nays were 21 R, 37 D
And here are the bill numbers, as found on NC Newsline: HR 8035 (Ukraine), HR 8034 (Israel) and HR 8036 (Indo-Pacific).

Links:
Ukraine: https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/8035/text
Israel: https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/8034/text
Indo-Pacific: https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/8036/text

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,434,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Republicans:

Democrats:

Passed with a STRONG bi-partisan majority reflecting the will of the American people.

It's a shame the GOP allowed the far right isolationits to hold this bill hostage for 6 months, inflecting unnecessary harm on the Ukranian people. And for what purpose?

Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,434,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Evolution of Mike Johnson on Ukraine

“Look, history judges us for what we do,” said an emotional Johnson, holding back tears and with a quivering lip at a news conference this week in response to a question from The Washington Post. “This is a critical time right now, critical time in the world stage. I could make a selfish decision and do something that’s different, but I’m doing here what I believe to be the right thing.”

Johnson’s son will be headed to the U.S. Naval Academy in the fall. “To put it bluntly, I would rather send bullets to Ukraine, than American boys,” he said. “This is a live-fire exercise for me and for so many American families.”

The speaker’s torturous path to embracing Ukraine aid is the result of many factors: high-level intelligence briefings as a House leader; his faith; the counsel of three committee chairs named Mike; and a realization the GOP would never unite on Ukraine. This story is drawn from interviews with more than than a dozen lawmakers and staff, many of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss Johnson’s evolution. The speaker’s office did not respond to an interview request.

Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0