✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Halruaa said:
Comedy. Bush has made the same mistake twice. That being to appoint people with no qualification into positions of power.

Micheal brown in FEMA and Miers in the supreme court. Bush still suggests that miers would be a good judge, im sure he would also contest that brownie did a good job with katrina.

The man is clueless, out of touch with reality, and to be honest--its quite frightening that these positions which impact people's lives and can change the course of American History are being handed out to his "Friends" like a personal favor.

No one knows who the nominee will be, but one thing can be assured: Qualifications and experience wont matter in who gets it, being a close friend to George Bush will.

LOL-- I can't remember where I heard it-- maybe the Daily Show?? but someone said Bush needs to join Friendster and expand on his circle of friends. :cool:

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ginny said:
This has nothing to do with my post or the quotes used, but generally speaking do you, personally, take people's symbols they choose for their profile seriously? I look at what people have to say...not at their symbol.
A fair point, but misguided. Honestly now, how many of those quotes suggest something along the lines of "Miers is not qualified because she is an evangelical Christian"?

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sandra Day O'Connor agreed to stay until her replacement is named. That may be a long wait.

If a right winger like Janice Rogers Brown, Priscilla Owen, or Michael Luttig is named it'll be a major fight. That's what the right wants. They may get it. If so I suspect the nominee will be done in by Republican defections, including Specter, chairman of Judiciary. Add Collins, Snowe, Chaffee, McCain, and just one more, maybe Stevens, Domenici, Smith, DeWine, or Voinovich and it's over. Then we'll get a moderate ala Anthony Kennedy (who also got in following two failed nominees).

Upvote 0

nathanel

Dec 6, 2004
✟1,006.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
This whole affair just brought out the worst in the Republican party and was yet another result of the rank hypocrisy so rife within the Republican party right now. :(

Hypocrisy and The Miers Case
By Mark Shields

Sunday, October 30, 2005; Page B07
As John R. Tunis once wrote, "Losing is the great American sin." But Miers, who is undoubtedly a hurting victim in this whole melodrama and deserving of compassion and kindness, is not the loser. No, the losers are those mostly conservative posturers and pretenders who now stand exposed as political hypocrites.
Who said repeatedly some variation of "every judicial nominee and the American people and the president deserve a fair up-or-down vote?" If you answered virtually every Republican senator, especially Sens. Orrin Hatch of Utah, Sam Brownback of Kansas and Bill Frist of Tennessee, you would be more than right.
In addition to that "up-or-down vote," every judicial nominee, according to those same honorable folks, was entitled to a fair committee hearing. Every judicial nominee, it turns out, except Miers. She didn't even get the hearing, let alone "the fair up-or-down vote" she deserved.
One clause in Article VI of the Constitution states, "No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." So, when some quarrelsome Senate Democrats kept asking if and how John Roberts' Catholicism might influence his opinions, the Bush White House turned away such impertinence with a prepared statement: "Judge Roberts has said in previous testimony that personal beliefs or views have no role whatsoever when it comes to decisions judges make." In other words, butt out!
But by October, the no-questions-about-a-nominee's-religious-faith rule had been conveniently repealed so that President Bush, facing "people [who] ask me why I picked Harriet Miers," could answer, "Part of Harriet Miers' life is her religion," while Karl Rove, the man whom Bush calls "Boy Genius," would personally reassure James Dobson, a powerful leader of the religious right, that Miers was "an evangelical Christian" and a member of "a very conservative church which is almost universally pro-life." Religious faith had become a reference and a credential for high office.
"If we're going to give advice and consent, we've got to have a full picture," Brownback said. "We were not asking for documents regarding attorney-client privilege -- or privileged communications," he told CNN. "We were saying, 'Show us some documents of policy issues discussion' so we could get some framework of her policy views."
The Senate is not a rubber stamp, Brownback announced. But Republicans, including Brownback, had scorned and rejected Senate Democrats' requests for similar work from Roberts's time in the White House.
Miers does not need to apologize to anyone. She told no lies. The big losers are those on the political right -- both her supporters and her opponents -- whose contradictions and moral relativism were enough to give hypocrisy a bad name.
[source]

Upvote 0