✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Ginny said:
May God bless her in whatever she decides to do with her career now.....

Matthew 5:10
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:11
"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.

How was she persecuted? LOL that is funny, many right wing Christians opposed her being nominated.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
utdbear said:
This is really a 'not a loss yet' scenario for the Democrats. Bush nominated someone that displeased his base and the opposition, so now look for a dramatic turn to the right for the person he'll pick next, as he's going to please his base before he pleases his opposition. I for one was pretty happy either way, now that Miers is out, Bush can nominate a Scalia or Thomas type of judge.

I don't think we'll see that. Bush is a somewhat intelligent man. If he wants to be productive, he knows that he can't only pander to the small far right base. If he wants to be productive, he has to make the middle happy.

We'll have to wait and see what his strategy is. I'm thinking that he'll shoot for the middle, but you can never tell with this president.

Upvote 0

ClaireZ

Senior Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
USA
✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mhatten said:
How was she persecuted? LOL that is funny, many right wing Christians opposed her being nominated.

Yes I agree. Actually in the first few days after her nomination I saw more people who were Christian and Conservative maligning her, than Dems or others.

Upvote 0

MethodMan

Legend
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ClaireZ said:
Actually that would be entertainment! :thumbsup: I can imagine all the news shows, both Fox and MSN and CNN, all of them just going crazy.

Heck with the MSM. Watch the politicians go nuts!

Geez, and imagine what the forum boards would be like! That would just rock!

Yup - everyone would start wearing aluminum foil hats.

I really wouldn't want Ms. Clinton though on SCOTUS. Actually I would be extremely happy if all the Clintons and Bushes found other lines of work besides politics. ;)

She would make a good judge.

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ClaireZ said:
Just heard on CNBC that Harriet Miers has withdrawn from consideration for the Supreme Court. :thumbsup:

I'm glad she is not longer consider for the SC. I wish her well in whatever she does now.

Here's hoping that Bush nominates a "Scalia/Thomas/Roberts" clone :crossrc:

Upvote 0

ClaireZ

Senior Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
USA
✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
thirstforknowledge said:
I don't think we'll see that. Bush is a somewhat intelligent man. If he wants to be productive, he knows that he can't only pander to the small far right base. If he wants to be productive, he has to make the middle happy.

We'll have to wait and see what his strategy is. I'm thinking that he'll shoot for the middle, but you can never tell with this president.

Actually I expect a far right nominee next. President Bush has got to appeal to his base. Many conservatives no longer trust him because of the huge deficit, tons of pork in the highway bill and other government spending, even the conduct of the war in Iraq is starting to be an issue. Unless he appeals to his base, he is likely to lose any effectiveness he has left.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ClaireZ said:
Actually I expect a far right nominee next. President Bush has got to appeal to his base. Many conservatives no longer trust him because of the huge deficit, tons of pork in the highway bill and other government spending, even the conduct of the war in Iraq is starting to be an issue. Unless he appeals to his base, he is likely to lose any effectiveness he has left.

Maybe. I really don't think the far right base is big enough to make him effective though. Far right and far left are teeny tiny in numbers. Again, I really can't tell, though.

Upvote 0

ClaireZ

Senior Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
USA
✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MethodMan said:
She would make a good judge.

Perhaps, but she carries too much baggage. Actually that is why I would like to see all the Clintons and Bushes go away. I am sick of hearing about all of them, and I am willing to bet there are others who feel the same way.

But I know there is no chance of them all just disappearing, :(

Unless aliens kidnap them or something! :idea:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

utdbear

Catalina Wine Mixer....POW!
Jul 6, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟4,578.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
thirstforknowledge said:

Bush's base is definitely not small. He might have a bigger base than any one Democrat. But this base is not happy, and wants a judge they were promised during the campaign. This judge will be a defined conservative, and will probably be outspoken in doing so. Bush nominated someone in Miers that could have gone either way, which is why everybody was mad at him. He won't make the same mistake twice. I think whoever the nominee might be will have to fight the filibuster threat and will probably use the nuke to get through.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
utdbear said:
Bush's base is definitely not small. He might have a bigger base than any one Democrat. But this base is not happy, and wants a judge they were promised during the campaign. This judge will be a defined conservative, and will probably be outspoken in doing so. Bush nominated someone in Miers that could have gone either way, which is why everybody was mad at him. He won't make the same mistake twice. I think whoever the nominee might be will have to fight the filibuster threat and will probably use the nuke to get through.

Bush's base was large, but the conservative far right base is small. Bush's base was made up of many different people. The majority of poeple who voted for him were not far right. There just aren't that many people that are far right. The majority of the nation is in the middle. So, by nominating a far right conservative, he would only be pandering to a small part of his base. Not his entire base.

And the nuke option? I doubt we'll ever see that. Politicians are more worried about getting reelected, than they are about fighting the other party. Nuclear option equals political suicide.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
utdbear said:
Bush's base is definitely not small.

But it is getting smaller and smaller all the time -- as witnessed by Bush's job approval ratings, the approval ratings people have of Republicans in Congress, and the fact that any Republican candidate (except for McCain) loses to "unknown Democrat" were the 2008 election to be held today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Quijote said:
Here's hoping that Bush nominates a "Scalia/Thomas/Roberts" clone :crossrc:
Thomas can probably be characterized as a Scalia-clone because he is (or was) a jurisprudential hack and needed a strong personality on which to piggyback.

But what makes you think Roberts is the same?

Upvote 0

utdbear

Catalina Wine Mixer....POW!
Jul 6, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟4,578.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
UberLutheran said:
But it is getting smaller and smaller all the time -- as witnessed by Bush's job approval ratings, the approval ratings people have of Republicans in Congress, and the fact that any Republican candidate (except for McCain) loses to "unknown Democrat" were the 2008 election to be held today.

You better believe that if Bush nominates a strict constructionist,conservative judge that those fences are going to be mended in a hurry.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Zackmeister said:
Woot! Now hopefully he gets the message and nominates Janice Rogers Brown or some other known conservative.

That would qualify her to be a Supreme Court judge (she'd be a U.S. citizen) and I'm sure, given her pedigree, that she'd fit in quite nicely with Scalia, Thomas and Roberts. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mhatten said:

ClaireZ said:
Yes I agree. Actually in the first few days after her nomination I saw more people who were Christian and Conservative maligning her, than Dems or others.

I already explained that. Please go back and read.

I will refrain from using all caps although the desire is immense. There were individuals that persecuted her for her CHRISTIANITY ALONE...not her qualifications.

MAN!

agyevsam said:
She wasn't unsuitable b/c of her religion, she was unsuitable b/c she was unqualified!!!!
Ginny said:
Thank you for that. I understand that reasoning....

Aaahhhh...the difficulty in reading all the posts before replying to them in the order read.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
utdbear said:
You better believe that if Bush nominates a strict constructionist,conservative judge that those fences are going to be mended in a hurry.

You "misunderestimate" the depth of moderate Republican/fiscal conservative/Democratic/liberal (not to mention moderate and liberal Christian) anger at this administration and the current Republican regime.

The only thing saving the radical Republicans at this point is the fact that at the national level, Democrats can't figure out what they stand for -- and the problem there is that people at the grassroots level are getting so frustrated with those running the Democratic Party that we're organizing at the grass roots level and may well just take back our party!

And guess what? WE have a platform. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0