✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ginny said:
I already explained that. Please go back and read.

I will refrain from using all caps although the desire is immense. There were individuals that persecuted her for her CHRISTIANITY ALONE...not her qualifications.

MAN!

Perhaps, and there were many others who supported her for that reason ALONE. :)

(She certainly lacked qualifications)

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ginny said:
Claire, please do not make me go pull up past threads to show how that relates..... Surely you have an inkling?

Harriet Miers ridiculed for faith in regards to qualification (GASP!) (???) :doh:

I don't recall people ridiculing her because of her religion. I recall people ridiculing the hipocracy of BushCo in playing up Miers' religion in this nomination but declaring it a taboo subject in the Roberts nomination.

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
BeamMeUpScotty said:
But, but, she's deeply religious. That alone qualifies her, doesn't it?
freealaska said:
Yes....But as what? ;)
BahBahBritty86 said:
HAHA...of course it does! *sarcasm* That alone is was qualified G-Dubbs (aka Bush)
momalle1 said:
So now Bush has to wait for Dobson to call and tell him who the proper candidate is?
(as in James Dobson)
SmokeScreen said:
LOL!. No doubt!

But let me guess.... open for interpretation.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ginny said:

But let me guess.... open for interpretation.:thumbsup:
Well, yeah. I do not see any of those comments as ridicule beyond the fact that her nomination appeared to be based on a one-note litmus test, a charge bolstered by Bush's later assurance that she was indeed properly evangelical and Christian.

Certainly, there does not appear to be any ridicule on the basis of her Christianity alone, especially since some of those commenting are themselves Christian.

Reactions: ClaireZ
Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
TeddyKGB said:
Thomas can probably be characterized as a Scalia-clone because he is (or was) a jurisprudential hack and needed a strong personality on which to piggyback.

But what makes you think Roberts is the same?

My bad :blush:

I meant to say that I hope the next nominee is a "Scalia/Thomas" or "Roberts" clone. Did not mean to imply that Roberts was a clone of Scalia/Thomas (I have heard that Roberts, though conservative in his judicial beliefs, approaches them differently from Scalia/Thomas).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
ClaireZ said:
Perhaps, and there were many others who supported her for that reason ALONE. :)

(She certainly lacked qualifications)

Ok ok, many Evangelicals were asking her to withdraw also because apparently, her views on abortion are shaky, I mean, even shakier than Roberts'. Roberts' only shakiness was that he hates abortion but will uphold Roe v. Wade (until he has the power to tear it down, which he now has ;) ) but nobody really knew where Miers stood. Apparently, she said abortion = murder one way and then supported Roe v. Wade another way... it's hard to understand which way she went.

And the Evangelicals didn't want another Souter in their hands. Can't blame them for bein' cautious.

Upvote 0

ClaireZ

Senior Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
USA
✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TeddyKGB said:
Well, yeah. I do not see any of those comments as ridicule beyond the fact that her nomination appeared to be based on a one-note litmus test, a charge bolstered by Bush's later assurance that she was indeed properly evangelical and Christian.

Certainly, there does not appear to be any ridicule on the basis of her Christianity alone, especially since some of those commenting are themselves Christian.

Agreed. I don't see this as persecuting her because she is a Christian, but rather as questioning if that was the only reason she was selected.

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
TeddyKGB said:

This has nothing to do with my post or the quotes used, but generally speaking do you, personally, take people's symbols they choose for their profile seriously? I look at what people have to say...not at their symbol.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Ginny said:
This has nothing to do with my post or the quotes used, but generally speaking do you, personally, take people's symbols they choose for their profile seriously? I look at what people have to say...not at their symbol.

Now I find it insulting that you could just point out a Christian in the crowd and say "Nope, that's no Christian." There are plenty of pro-choice liberal Christians out there and just as many pro-life conservative Christians.

Upvote 0

ClaireZ

Senior Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
USA
✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ginny said:

Actually I do take thier symbols seriously. And I believe forum rules state that we must.

Just because a person has a different view then I do on a topic, that doesn't mean they are any less Christian.

Christianity embraces a large group of people, many with different opinions and beliefs. It is not my right to judge someone else's salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ClaireZ said:
Actually I do take thier symbols seriously. And I believe forum rules state that we must.

You nor Harpuia don't get where I am coming from....

BTW, b/c a forum says you must believe someone is this or that you actually do in your heart without doubt?

What if this forum stated you must believe GWB is Christian b/c it told you to? How many Christians around here flame GWB and judge him as God stating there is no way on earth he is a Christian b/c they do not believe he is based on actions?

This forum cannot force you to believe anything. I am sure Erwin would hope we are intelligent enough to make our own assumptions based on our own opinions/ convictions. Sure the symbols help initially....

Upvote 0

Sphere

Sep 29, 2003
✟8,980.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
utdbear said:
He won't make the same mistake twice.

Comedy. Bush has made the same mistake twice. That being to appoint people with no qualification into positions of power.

Micheal brown in FEMA and Miers in the supreme court. Bush still suggests that miers would be a good judge, im sure he would also contest that brownie did a good job with katrina.

The man is clueless, out of touch with reality, and to be honest--its quite frightening that these positions which impact people's lives and can change the course of American History are being handed out to his "Friends" like a personal favor.

No one knows who the nominee will be, but one thing can be assured: Qualifications and experience wont matter in who gets it, being a close friend to George Bush will.

Reactions: ClaireZ
Upvote 0

Harpuia

Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Halruaa said:
Comedy. Bush has made the same mistake twice. That being to appoint people with no qualification into positions of power.

Micheal brown in FEMA and Miers in the supreme court. Bush still suggests that miers would be a good judge, im sure he would also contest that brownie did a good job with katrina.

The man is clueless, out of touch with reality, and to be honest--its quite frightening that these positions which impact people's lives and can change the course of American History are being handed out to his "Friends" like a personal favor.

No one knows who the nominee will be, but one thing can be assured: Qualifications and experience wont matter in who gets it, being a close friend to George Bush will.

Anyone wanna put on a bet that Michael Brown will be the next nominee? ;)

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Quijote said:
My bad :blush:

I meant to say that I hope the next nominee is a "Scalia/Thomas" or "Roberts" clone. Did not mean to imply that Roberts was a clone of Scalia/Thomas (I have heard that Roberts, though conservative in his judicial beliefs, approaches them differently from Scalia/Thomas).
Ah, 'tis better.

Based solely on preliminary opinions, I would be more open to a Roberts-clone than a Scalia-clone (Thomas-clone is redundant here, I think).

Upvote 0

ClaireZ

Senior Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
USA
✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ginny said:
You nor Harpuia don't get where I am coming from....

BTW, b/c a forum says you must believe someone is this or that you actually do in your heart without doubt?

What if this forum stated you must believe GWB is Christian b/c it told you to? How many Christians around here flame GWB and judge him as God stating there is no way on earth he is a Christian b/c they do not believe he is based on actions?

This forum cannot force you to believe anything. I am sure Erwin would hope we are intelligent enough to make our own assumptions based on our own opinions/ convictions. Sure the symbols help initially....

Yes, I do take it in my heart without a doubt that they are a Christian unless they say otherwise. Who am I to question someone's salvation?

As for GWB --I might not like his particular actions, but I don't doubt his Christianity as long as he says he is a Christian.

There are people here every day that stun me with thier intolerance and what I perceive as thier hatred for others, but I don't doubt thier Christianity, just the emphaise they place on some Scripture vs. other Scripture.

But we are way off topic here. Back to the White House Counsel, and her late nomination, and of course speculation on whom the next choice will be. :)

Upvote 0