Disappointment in Bible Typos

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Like the orthodox don't overdo with fences to keep from trespassing a commandment?
I can't believe these words are coming from you CM.

When did G-d ask us to build statues? Are you speaking of the keruvim on the ark, the holy object set in the Holy of Holies where only one sanctified man went once a year to sprinkle blood when it was most likely obscured by the smoke from the censer?

And the serpent on a pole which was later worshiped and destroyed by Hezekiah because of the idolatry it brought?

"When did G-d ask us to build statues? "

Well the examples you gave are accurate. The ark and the nechushtan were "statues", ie images of things. But were they intended to be worshipped? Certainly not.

Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
How disconcerting that must be for anyone schooled in the "sacred" intricacies of Classic Hebrew as quoted by Yeshua in the Book of Matthew ...

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

And yet, many of the most educated Pharisees, scribes and rulers were spiritually blind, unable to acknowledge Yeshua as Messiah.

If somenone gave me a first edition printing of: The Saint John's Bible: Pentateuch (NAB translation) I would treasure it because of my love for typographic, calligraphy, graphic design, fine art printing and especially the WORD ... even though i'm not Catholic i would consider the NAB translation to be reputable. The irony, if you consider it irony, is that it's highly unlikely you would find any typos in The Saint John's Bible.

I don't understand what point you are making.
Nor do I see the irony you refer to.
As point of fact, there have been egregious printing mistakes in many Christian Bibles. One even said "thou shalt commit adultery".

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Well I for one have never ripped pages out of books because of pictures and none of the Orthodox I have ever encountered has done so either.

As for fences around the Torah, those fences would only affect the people that follow those particular teachings. Me or any other Orthodox person choosing not to eat Hamburger Helper, beef stroganoff, chicken parmesan, bacon double cheese burgers, chili cheese fries, surf the internet on Shabbat, operate an automobile or use electricity on Shabbat or any other thing that could be considered a fence does not affect any other Christian, Jew, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Baha’i, Pagan, Agnostic or Atheist from doing whatever they want when they want.

I easily found many recipies for kosher beef Stroganoff, so you can take that off the list :)

wow all the smileys look really stupid now

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I easily found many recipies for kosher beef Stroganoff, so you can take that off the list :)

wow all the smileys look really stupid now

One recipe calls for Mimic Crème. Well, they have been out of business for two years now.

Margarine has Trans fats, so that out.

If a dairy or cream substitute contains chemicals or ingredients that could have never existed naturally in nature, well, I’m probably not going to eat it.

Yes, the smileys do look odd, almost like “the lights are on but no one is home”

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
If you want to eat Beef Stroganoff, you will be able to find a kosher way. If that kosher way doesn't entice you, that's different.

Of course that is assuming that I want to eat beef stroganoff. That is why I mentioned it, because I don’t care that I can’t eat it. I am kind of a food snob and purist. If I want to eat beef stroganoff, I want beef and sour cream, not chemical compositions that resemble the originals. Just like if I order salmon at a restaurant, I want salmon, not pink dyed tilapia with salmon flavor.

Anyway, regarding the “fences” I commented about earlier, chicken was added to the “meat and milk” thing so people would not think someone was eating a forbidden mixture so I wonder how a “kosher” beef stroganoff fits in to that whole other people’s perception thing. If I saw someone eating beef stroganoff, I would think it is proper beef stroganoff, not beef with partially gelatinized corn starch proteins with soy lecithin and gargar gum simmered in a tasty almond paste cream substitute.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Obviously it doesn't affect me if you don't want to eat Beef Stroganoff/Stroganov, but you have the option was my point. If it is not to your taste, so be it, but you have the option.

Russian cuisine is underappreciated though, it were good for more people to know about and try it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Of course that is assuming that I want to eat beef stroganoff. That is why I mentioned it, because I don’t care that I can’t eat it. I am kind of a food snob and purist. If I want to eat beef stroganoff, I want beef and sour cream, not chemical compositions that resemble the originals. Just like if I order salmon at a restaurant, I want salmon, not pink dyed tilapia with salmon flavor.

Anyway, regarding the “fences” I commented about earlier, chicken was added to the “meat and milk” thing so people would not think someone was eating a forbidden mixture so I wonder how a “kosher” beef stroganoff fits in to that whole other people’s perception thing. If I saw someone eating beef stroganoff, I would think it is proper beef stroganoff, not beef with partially gelatinized corn starch proteins with soy lecithin and gargar gum simmered in a tasty almond paste cream substitute.
I was thinking the exact same thing. It would be misleading for sure.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
"When did G-d ask us to build statues? "

Well the examples you gave are accurate. The ark and the nechushtan were "statues", ie images of things. But were they intended to be worshipped? Certainly not.
G-d did not ask 'us' as a people, this was given to Moses and to the two men chosen who were also given the knowledge on how to do so to make the throne of G-d on earth. This however was hidden away from the whole nation and only the HIgh Priest went in where it was once a year and it was most likely obscured by the incense he burned when entering. Therefore there was no chance for worshiping this.

Second,the serpent on a pole was given as a teaching tool but was turned into an idol and was destroyed because it was.

There is a difference apparently that some cannot see between G-d making a command to make something and a person taking on this by themselves.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
uh what ?

And the LORD said to Moses, “Make a fiery serpent and set it on a pole, and everyone who is bitten, when he sees it, shall live.” (Bamidbar 21:8)

Same thing applies to the ark.
God commanded it be made. The ark was not in public view, but the nechushtan was. Ezekiel furthermore describes the third temple as being adorned with images (perhaps reliefs or bas reliefs) of two-headed cherubim and palm trees.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Obviously it doesn't affect me if you don't want to eat Beef Stroganoff/Stroganov, but you have the option was my point. If it is not to your taste, so be it, but you have the option.

Russian cuisine is underappreciated though, it were good for more people to know about and try it.

I like to learn new recipes from anywhere. I don't always use the same spices or ingredients, but I can usually make a decent facsimile of most dishes.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
uh what ?

And the LORD said to Moses, “Make a fiery serpent and set it on a pole, and everyone who is bitten, when he sees it, shall live.” (Bamidbar 21:8)
Said to Moses

Same thing applies to the ark.
God commanded it be made. The ark was not in public view, but the nechushtan was. Ezekiel furthermore describes the third temple as being adorned with images (perhaps reliefs or bas reliefs) of two-headed cherubim and palm trees.
Said to Moses

That was my point, it was said to Moses, it was not for all the people. Can't be more clear than that. And the decorations are in the temple, in parts not for public worship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums