Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Recently I have made two Bible purchases that have disappointed me when I got the text open. The first was a Koren Tanach with a beautiful cover and a gorgeous typeset text. What disappointed me was the way that kaf-sofit doesn't have the vowels inset (ךָ ךְ) but have them lower below the text line (which irritates my eye).

Today I went to the bookstore of the Bible Society in Israel in Tel Aviv. I looked at their copy of Rahlfs Septuagint, but didn't feel like paying nearly 400 shekels to buy it. I did buy a copy of ספר הבריתות - a Hebrew Bible that contains both the Tanach and the New Testament in Hebrew. It's leather-bound and very pretty. Once I walked out of the store and got on the bus back home, I opened up the book and started to read from Romans. In the very first chapter I found a typo, where in 1:23 we read אֶת כְּבוֹדוֹ "his glory," it has been written together as one word (אֶתכְּבוֹדוֹ).

Why do such texts come with typos and typesetting problems? Shouldn't they have been fixed and perfected by now? :(

JeffTheLearner

a puff of smoke
Apr 9, 2006
Richland, MO
✟8,558.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lol, at least you got yours. I ordered Die Bibel in Deutsch and got one sent to me in Schweizerdeutsch ...apparently the American shippers at Amazon don't know the difference.

But in my zeal after getting it I ripped out all the pictures of idols, and "images of god" and scratched out the chi rho symbols off the front... after that I started reading it, and was like "crap!"

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Recently I have made two Bible purchases that have disappointed me when I got the text open. The first was a Koren Tanach with a beautiful cover and a gorgeous typeset text. What disappointed me was the way that kaf-sofit doesn't have the vowels inset (ךָ ךְ) but have them lower below the text line (which irritates my eye).

Today I went to the bookstore of the Bible Society in Israel in Tel Aviv. I looked at their copy of Rahlfs Septuagint, but didn't feel like paying nearly 400 shekels to buy it. I did buy a copy of ספר הבריתות - a Hebrew Bible that contains both the Tanach and the New Testament in Hebrew. It's leather-bound and very pretty. Once I walked out of the store and got on the bus back home, I opened up the book and started to read from Romans. In the very first chapter I found a typo, where in 1:23 we read אֶת כְּבוֹדוֹ "his glory," it has been written together as one word (אֶתכְּבוֹדוֹ).

Why do such texts come with typos and typesetting problems? Shouldn't they have been fixed and perfected by now? :(

Lazy editors come to mind. Was that the only mistake you found?

Upvote 0

JeffTheLearner

a puff of smoke
Apr 9, 2006
Richland, MO
✟8,558.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who buys a book and starts ripping out pages? Have you ever thought that maybe you're a fanatic?

I guess if you consider someone who actually believes and attemps to follow Torah as being a "fanatic" ...yep, guilty as charged.

A lack of zeal, and a touch of contempt seems akin to each other in my book.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I guess if you consider someone who actually believes and attemps to follow Torah as being a "fanatic" ...yep, guilty as charged.

A lack of zeal, and a touch of contempt seems akin to each other in my book.

Because having pictures in books is anti-Torah now, eh? Good grief. Never mind, you know what... you're right. You're obviously more righteous than me. I'm a wicked sinner. In fact, when I find a flight manual on the plane, I'll start tearing out the diagrams of the plane and the explanations of its various parts - if they are graphic. God forbid that we have pictures in this world!

What a boring world it would be if we cut art out of it. Religious fanatics have always done what they could to deface and destroy the beautiful. That's probably the main difference between a healthy religious life and the destructive foolishness that drives fanaticism - how they treat art.

Upvote 0
A

AlephBet

The word Father in Hebrew is Aleph Bet. We see DNA as the shadow of letters making Word.

Job 19 tells you why the word has errors.

I know that my redeemer lives,
and that in the end he will stand on the earth.
26 And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God;
27 I myself will see him
with my own eyes—I, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me! 28 “If you say, ‘How we will hound him,
since the root of the trouble lies in him,’

29 you should fear the sword yourselves;
for wrath will bring punishment by the sword,
and then you will know that there is judgment.

Don't hound him about his error. We cannot even blame the publisher. If you say to me that the text above is in error, you are simply stating the same case against the error in the word's translation. In either case, the Word written by the Father is in Error. There is no getting around it, not even from the very book we hold up as his image.
Does the image of a mirror reflects the one casting the image? Should we complain, or should we value the fact that even Christ is not good?

Luke 18:19 - "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.

If you overcome the image, does the error in the Word then reveals the true scriptural truth under the hood? Could it be the real truth is in the letters?

I would assume the letters have more to say than the Word. Who spoke to us through that Word?

John 12:49 - For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken.

The Letters of the Strong House (Aleph Bet):

LETTERS.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JeffTheLearner

a puff of smoke
Apr 9, 2006
Richland, MO
✟8,558.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My God, there certainly is no shortage of nutters out there. Two more to add to my iggy list!

...you know flaming like that is not allowed, I guess having "images of god" in your house is tolerated, but in mine it is not. But I guess being called "nutty" was an honor many of the hero's in TANAK were likened to, its strange to feel honored in dishonor ...I am not worthy.

Its not my fault many mix the idolatry of secular thought in with that which is holy and contrary. Call it "art" all you like, Moses called false images of YHVH idolatry along with its trade. I fear his opinon over any others.

Upvote 0

JeffTheLearner

a puff of smoke
Apr 9, 2006
Richland, MO
✟8,558.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who EXACTLY did I call a nutter?

Didn't you just flame the writers of the Talmud a few posts back?

Nope, but I guess being critical of a writing that clams itself equivalent to another can be sumed up shortly when giving preference to another. But offence is held with those who hold bias, but if having offence is equivalent to direct name calling, then what would anyone be able to say?

I don't think you understand the difference between the two.

But to answer your question, there were 4 posters which your comment could apply to, so I guess just pick out two.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Chances are, whoever proofreads these is not a Hebrew language expert. They may not even be able to read Hebrew. If they are expert, then it comes back to laziness or reading too quickly. Or, these may not be considered typos, but just a different typestyle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

The best thing you can do is to write to the publishers, point out the errors and hopefully in their next printing they will have fixed it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

It's certainly a problem that everything pulled from the old system which contained Hebrew or Greek will now show up as code.

Other than that, the new forum looks much better - and has no script problems.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
It's certainly a problem that everything pulled from the old system which contained Hebrew or Greek will now show up as code.

Other than that, the new forum looks much better - and has no script problems.
ספר הבריתות אֶת כְּבוֹדוֹ (אֶתכְּבוֹדוֹ). I am having difficulty understanding some of your posts because of these [&#****]

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟896,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I just got it. I'm sure there will be others as I read the text. :(

Write to the publisher and complain and ask for their hopefully more recent edition that has them amended to be sent to you in exchange for you sending your copy back to them with them picking up the bill, of course.

Upvote 0