Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
ספר הבריתות אֶת כְּבוֹדוֹ (אֶתכְּבוֹדוֹ). I am having difficulty understanding some of your posts because of these [&#****]
Not my fault. The system didn't carry over Greek and Hebrew.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Recently I have made two Bible purchases that have disappointed me when I got the text open. The first was a Koren Tanach with a beautiful cover and a gorgeous typeset text. What disappointed me was the way that kaf-sofit doesn't have the vowels inset (ךָ ךְ) but have them lower below the text line (which irritates my eye).

Today I went to the bookstore of the Bible Society in Israel in Tel Aviv. I looked at their copy of Rahlfs Septuagint, but didn't feel like paying nearly 400 shekels to buy it. I did buy a copy of ספר הבריתות - a Hebrew Bible that contains both the Tanach and the New Testament in Hebrew. It's leather-bound and very pretty. Once I walked out of the store and got on the bus back home, I opened up the book and started to read from Romans. In the very first chapter I found a typo, where in 1:23 we read אֶת כְּבוֹדוֹ "his glory," it has been written together as one word (אֶתכְּבוֹדוֹ).

Why do such texts come with typos and typesetting problems? Shouldn't they have been fixed and perfected by now? :(

I once ordered a Bible for study and personal purposes which translated Aion a particular way, and when I got it, it was an edited version of the one I wanted - and translated Aion in a different way. The publisher KNEW one of the main attractions of this Bible version was the way it originally translated Aion, and still they edited it to make it fit their own theology, and hence everyone who ordered this Bible got something other than what they wanted. The publisher - KENNETH COPELAND PUBLICATIONS - is fully aware that they are deceiving people.

It still had the name of the original version, the Weymouth translaton. There was no indication they had edited the text. No way to find out before actually getting it.

Example: It is like if I had published "Young's Literal Translation", but whenever Young translated something this way, I edit it to make it say something else.
I could have called it "Young's Literal Translation as Edited by Me", but to be greedy, I decide to deceive people and make them think it is Young's original version. That's what Copeland Publishing has done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I understand completely what you're saying about Kenneth Copeland. Why would you buy something that he was selling?

I thought if something is marketed as the Weymouth Translation, that it would be the Weymouth Translation.
I just couldn't imagine in my naivete anything else.

Apparently the guy is some big Christian preacher, which I didn't know, but I wouldn't have thought that would equate to him tampering with the Weymouth version.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought if something is marketed as the Weymouth Translation, that it would be the Weymouth Translation.
I just couldn't imagine in my naivete anything else.

Apparently the guy is some big Christian preacher, which I didn't know, but I wouldn't have thought that would equate to him tampering with the Weymouth version.
He's a swindler, along the lines of Jim Bakker back in the day. Spreads what has been called the "Health and Wealth Gospel," that if you donate to his ministry, then God will bless you. He takes a lot of people for a lot of money and lives a very comfortable life.

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Once I walked out of the store and got on the bus back home, I opened up the book and started to read from Romans. In the very first chapter I found a typo, where in 1:23 we read ( "his glory," it has been written together as one word ;).

Why do such texts come with typos and typesetting problems? Shouldn't they have been fixed and perfected by now? :(

How disconcerting that must be for anyone schooled in the "sacred" intricacies of Classic Hebrew as quoted by Yeshua in the Book of Matthew ...

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

And yet, many of the most educated Pharisees, scribes and rulers were spiritually blind, unable to acknowledge Yeshua as Messiah.

If somenone gave me a first edition printing of: The Saint John's Bible: Pentateuch (NAB translation) I would treasure it because of my love for typographic, calligraphy, graphic design, fine art printing and especially the WORD ... even though i'm not Catholic i would consider the NAB translation to be reputable. The irony, if you consider it irony, is that it's highly unlikely you would find any typos in The Saint John's Bible.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because having pictures in books is anti-Torah now, eh? Good grief. Never mind, you know what... you're right. You're obviously more righteous than me. I'm a wicked sinner. In fact, when I find a flight manual on the plane, I'll start tearing out the diagrams of the plane and the explanations of its various parts - if they are graphic. God forbid that we have pictures in this world!

What a boring world it would be if we cut art out of it. Religious fanatics have always done what they could to deface and destroy the beautiful. That's probably the main difference between a healthy religious life and the destructive foolishness that drives fanaticism - how they treat art.

Yep.

Don't ya love irony. Hebrew Characters were probably word pictures originally.

If having pictures and graven images is anti-Torah then God is a sinner for making us build statues and snakes on poles. Solomon's Temple must have been even more of an abomination and what exactly did Jesus scribble on the ground?

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yep.

If having pictures and graven images is anti-Torah then God is a sinner for making us build statues and snakes on poles. Solomon's Temple must have been even more of an abomination and what exactly did Jesus scribble on the ground?
Good thing the arc of the covenant is no longer around, else crazy person would try to break into the temple to smash it to pieces. Idolatry!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YESLORDIWILL

Have you not read? 1Sa 20-22, Ps 52
Oct 12, 2012
✟11,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He's a swindler, along the lines of Jim Bakker back in the day. Spreads what has been called the "Health and Wealth Gospel," that if you donate to his ministry, then God will bless you. He takes a lot of people for a lot of money and lives a very comfortable life.

remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive. (Acts 20:35)....oh wait, where did He say that again? ;)

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yep.

Like the orthodox don't overdo with fences to keep from trespassing a commandment?
I can't believe these words are coming from you CM.

When did G-d ask us to build statues? Are you speaking of the keruvim on the ark, the holy object set in the Holy of Holies where only one sanctified man went once a year to sprinkle blood when it was most likely obscured by the smoke from the censer?

And the serpent on a pole which was later worshiped and destroyed by Hezekiah because of the idolatry it brought?

Jesus writing in the dust you are equating with this also?

How disconcerting.

:(o_O

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Well I for one have never ripped pages out of books because of pictures and none of the Orthodox I have ever encountered has done so either.

As for fences around the Torah, those fences would only affect the people that follow those particular teachings. Me or any other Orthodox person choosing not to eat Hamburger Helper, beef stroganoff, chicken parmesan, bacon double cheese burgers, chili cheese fries, surf the internet on Shabbat, operate an automobile or use electricity on Shabbat or any other thing that could be considered a fence does not affect any other Christian, Jew, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Baha’i, Pagan, Agnostic or Atheist from doing whatever they want when they want.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well I for one have never ripped pages out of books because of pictures and none of the Orthodox I have ever encountered has done so either.

As for fences around the Torah, those fences would only affect the people that follow those particular teachings. Me or any other Orthodox person choosing not to eat Hamburger Helper, beef stroganoff, chicken parmesan, bacon double cheese burgers, chili cheese fries, surf the internet on Shabbat, operate an automobile or use electricity on Shabbat or any other thing that could be considered a fence does not affect any other Christian, Jew, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Baha’i, Pagan, Agnostic or Atheist from doing whatever they want when they want.

But it does affect me inviting you over for dinner. :( Unless I serve whole fruits, vegetables etc and use disposable dinnerware.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
But it does affect me inviting you over for dinner. :( Unless I serve whole fruits, vegetables etc and use disposable dinnerware.

That depends on what we are having. ;) I don’t know if you knew, but I was in the Military for 23 ½ years as a Cook, Law Enforcement Officer and Photographer all rolled into one. Kosher MRE’s (YUCK) didn’t make their appearance until I was already half way done. I didn’t live off of tuna fish, kosher hot dogs and yoghurt the whole time. I’m sure that every plate, pan, grill and utensil has had pork or some other “forbidden” substance on it.

I recently had a big birthday party prepared by Muslims and Christians and didn’t have any problems eating it. I’m sure it would not meet the Chabad Rabbis or the Conservative Rabbis high standards, but the Chabad Rabbi doesn’t eat at the Conservative Synagogue either.

Reactions: YESLORDIWILL
Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Like the orthodox don't overdo with fences to keep from trespassing a commandment?
I can't believe these words are coming from you CM.

When did G-d ask us to build statues? Are you speaking of the keruvim on the ark, the holy object set in the Holy of Holies where only one sanctified man went once a year to sprinkle blood when it was most likely obscured by the smoke from the censer?

And the serpent on a pole which was later worshiped and destroyed by Hezekiah because of the idolatry it brought?

Jesus writing in the dust you are equating with this also?

How disconcerting.

:(o_O

Disconcerting for some....just plain true for others. Not my problem.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good thing the arc of the covenant is no longer around, else crazy person would try to break into the temple to smash it to pieces. Idolatry!!

Actually, I think the irony runs deep in some folks. They would probably worship it, all the while talking about smashing art. Are we over this yet?

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not sure everyone is.
I think if I ever change careers I will go into psychology and study religious fanaticism. I'm certain it is essentially an symptom of deeper psychological issues. Of all the people I have met in my spiritual walk, the fanatic is the one who ruins it for me and makes me embarrassed to call myself a believer in God. As for unmonitored religious debate or discussion, the old saying is true- "if you shake a tree the nuts will fall out".

Upvote 0