Dating after divorce

H

hazeleyes72

I'm beginning to feel a desire to date again after divorce (it's been just over two years). Until now, I haven't had that desire so much. I feel that I have done a lot of work as far as healing goes and it might be nice to have even a guy friend that turns into more. I've considered online dating which at first I was very much against. However, I'm amazed how many of my friends are accepting of that. I'm just starting to pray about this and I don't want to rush ahead of God for sure. I want my next marriage to be with the right person!! How has anyone of you gone about this - when you begin to feel the desire to date again?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I met my husband online, in a Christian forum lol - and I first told him (politely) that I wasn't interested in forming a relationship and we could just be friends in the forum. I believe God had other ideas though, and I was eventually won over. Many people meet online, and it is becoming more accepted.

The first question one would ask you though, is the reason for your divorce, and whether or not you and/or your ex were believers. You don't have to answer, of course, but any discussion would first be concerned with whether or not you are scripturally free to date and remarry.

Merry Christmas to you! :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, then you are on the track to be in prayer about it. I think that's the most important thing. Of course, the closer we are to God, the better position we are in to receive his guidance.

There is one special - concern - with meeting people online. Even if people are doing their best to be 100% honest and transparent with each other (and not everyone does), there are bound to be things that will surprise you about the other person. In online communication, you have written words, probably a photo. It's natural for the human mind to fill in all kinds of details, because you just don't have all the kinds of interactive information you normally get with meeting in person. It's not about being intentionally deceptive, it's just human nature. And usually, because you have positive feelings about the other person, you tend to fill in everything at least somewhat ideally. So ... It's easy to be taken a bit by surprise, or disappointed, or have gaps in your knowledge of the other person.

Of course, if God is truly in the equation, that can be less of a problem. Just wanted to point out the nature of relationships formed online. I've met a number of people online and gotten to know them in person, and there's always a degree of that, but it is most apparent when you are hoping for a dating / marriage relationship.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While divorce is terrible of course, the good thing is you are better prepared for marriage next time and know what to seek and/or avoid in a guy. So things should be better in terms of finding the right one. Just make sure to cast aside any worries you may have that the last man left you with. A new guy is a new turn for trust and love!

Aside from that I can't really comment since I have never been divorced. But it seems like your on good path. Two years seems like a good time. Some people rush back into a relationship right away which is dangerous. I'll be praying God brings that right man into your life at the right time! :)

Upvote 0
H

hazeleyes72

Well, then you are on the track to be in prayer about it. I think that's the most important thing. Of course, the closer we are to God, the better position we are in to receive his guidance.

There is one special - concern - with meeting people online. Even if people are doing their best to be 100% honest and transparent with each other (and not everyone does), there are bound to be things that will surprise you about the other person. In online communication, you have written words, probably a photo. It's natural for the human mind to fill in all kinds of details, because you just don't have all the kinds of interactive information you normally get with meeting in person. It's not about being intentionally deceptive, it's just human nature. And usually, because you have positive feelings about the other person, you tend to fill in everything at least somewhat ideally. So ... It's easy to be taken a bit by surprise, or disappointed, or have gaps in your knowledge of the other person.

Of course, if God is truly in the equation, that can be less of a problem. Just wanted to point out the nature of relationships formed online. I've met a number of people online and gotten to know them in person, and there's always a degree of that, but it is most apparent when you are hoping for a dating / marriage relationship.

Actually, you know, meeting people in person can be tricky for the same reason as well. People aren't always what they at first appear to be. I learned that the hard way.

And as the other poster said, I think waiting longer to date after divorce is better for sure. God has done a lot of work in me over the last two plus years. I look forward to seeing who he has in store - whether we meet online or in person. My preference is in person if I'm honest but we'll see what happens. The fact that I am beginning to feel ready to date is a good thing I think.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually, you know, meeting people in person can be tricky for the same reason as well. People aren't always what they at first appear to be. I learned that the hard way.

And as the other poster said, I think waiting longer to date after divorce is better for sure. God has done a lot of work in me over the last two plus years. I look forward to seeing who he has in store - whether we meet online or in person. My preference is in person if I'm honest but we'll see what happens. The fact that I am beginning to feel ready to date is a good thing I think.

People can and will deceive both in person and online. That's a given, and wasn't really what I was talking about, but it's a fair warning too.

I was just cautioning you about something I've seen repeatedly online. I actually used to be involved with an online "world" that was really ahead of its time, before I was saved. I was interested in the creation software, and made settings. It's much like creating a video game. Many people came there to socialize though, and enjoy the settings, and used rpg-style avatars to wander around and interact. It didn't take long to see the relationships that formed, and that it could be a real trap for men and women to become inordinately attracted to each other. I used to work as a kind of welcomer-tour guide there, and I always warned newcomers of this strange phenomena.

I have found a similar effect in online communities, to different degrees. I just wanted to make you aware as well, since you mentioned online sites for meeting potential partners.

I wish I could recommend the one where I met my husband, as the atmosphere there was different from any other place I've encountered. But the owner sold part of the interest, and it is no longer the same kind of site. My experience with other sites is limited.

All the best to you, and welcome here, btw. Merry Christmas!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm beginning to feel a desire to date again after divorce (it's been just over two years). Until now, I haven't had that desire so much. I feel that I have done a lot of work as far as healing goes and it might be nice to have even a guy friend that turns into more. I've considered online dating which at first I was very much against. However, I'm amazed how many of my friends are accepting of that. I'm just starting to pray about this and I don't want to rush ahead of God for sure. I want my next marriage to be with the right person!! How has anyone of you gone about this - when you begin to feel the desire to date again?

I kinda feel that a date with someone you know--even casually--is more promising than online dating of any kind. However, I know happy couples who did meet online. If you take that route, I would think it best to stick to sites that are explicitly for those people seeking possible marriages, and not those that are merely chatlines/meet-ups/etc. While I know some people who have found mates on Christian Mingle (for example), I know some others who have gone out with people they met on the other kind of line and encountered only a series of misfits or unmarriagable types.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I kinda feel that a date with someone you know--even casually--is more promising than online dating of any kind. However, I know happy couples who did meet online. If you take that route, I would think it best to stick to sites that are explicitly for those people seeking possible marriages, and not those that are merely chatlines/meet-ups/etc. While I know some people who have found mates on Christian Mingle (for example), I know some others who have gone out with people they met on the other kind of line and encountered only a series of misfits or unmarriagable types.

Even more important than what I said. :)

I was briefly on e-Harmony, Christian Cafe. I don't think Christian Mingle existed back then. I "met" a few people who seemed to feel the relative anonymity of online meant they could be rude, demanding, demeaning. Or maybe they were just like that? At any rate, I cancelled pretty quickly. But I guess some people have better luck. I'm happy with the way things turned out though. God is good!

But generic "meet-up" sites I would avoid at ALL costs.

Upvote 0
H

hazeleyes72

Yeah for sure, sites like Plenty of Fish, etc. - no way! I'm definitely looking for marriage with a soulmate and not a mere date. I'm not 100% sure about online dating. I never wanted to initially but that was before I felt I might be ready to date. Definitely something to pray about - that God would bring the right person into my life at the right time. I'm definitely wiser and have grown a lot with what I have been through.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok. I've followed many of your threads and questions. ..

I just don't think you are ready to date yet...

Scripturally and minimum time and methodology I'm not having an issue with...just you and your approach to the game.

Everyone is ready at different times. ..

Upvote 0
A

amenkid777

My two cents: I know a couple who have been together at least 10 years now and met online. So it's not impossible.

I would also advise though: totally wait on God for the right person. You don't even have to date. God will bring you the right person, at the right time, if He has someone for you. It will happen normally and naturally, and His choice for you beyond surpasses anything you would choose for yourself! Just wait on Him to bring the person you should be with. Trust Him for this. He might lead you to a "dating site" - He might not. Pray about it and seek Him about it. If you are Christian, you'll want a Christian spouse. And if you are Christian, God has other purposes for your marriage besides just personal enjoyment. Until you meet that person, just work on getting to know the Lord and following Him better, so you have something great to offer whomever you meet in the future! :)

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
I've dated a lot lol ... and it took me some heavy, deep relationships (including marriage) to figure out a couple of things which are shockingly simple to understand ---

The thing with dating ... is that if you go into a date with someone you don't know, expecting to size up whether they are marriage material right away, you are not "dating". You are looking for a partner from the start, and you already have expectations of a complete stranger. So you are not technically going out on a date ... you are going out to find someone to fill shoes you already have prepared and waiting.

Dating, on the other hand, is much more simple: it involves two people going out and hopefully enjoying each other for who they are, not who you are wanting/needing/hoping them to be. See the difference ?

Let me give you an example:

Let's say you have a date with some dude named Shawn. Before the date, you are wondering, "Is Shawn going to be the one ? Is God going to approve of him ? Is he going to be tall like I want ? Is he going to be funny like I want ? Is he going to know this and that, and do this and that, etc and so forth <insert expectations list here> .... ?" Already, you are not interested in Shawn ... you are interested in finding out if Shawn is someone else, from the start lol. If Shawn isn't who you hope him to be ... you will be disappointed, upset, confused ... or perhaps you'll drop him after the date, or perhaps you'll go the opposite direction ... "Maybe I can mold Shawn into being who I want him to be ? Maybe he has *potential*" lol.

In that scenario, it's not "dating". It's more of a hunt to find something specific. It has little to do with the other person, and more to do with your needs/wants/expectations. The other person is more of a warm body which you hope has the soul you are looking for.

Now let's say you go out with Shawn, and instead of looking at him from a laundry list perspective ... you simply set that aside, and LEARN ABOUT WHO SHAWN REALLY IS AND IS NOT. You let Shawn SHOW you who he is. You let Shawn show you who he isn't. You learn about his potential as he stands on his own, not compared to your ideal. And you give it time ... you see if you are attracted, if you enjoy yourself, if he enjoys himself, etc and so forth. You "let things happen". In this way, if things go great .... then great. You are learning about someone new, for who they are, and they are effecting you. It's not your ideal which is the filter any longer ... it's more *real*. And if you don't hit it off, there is no let down, no confusion, little disappointment .... you got to know someone whom you didn't hit it off with, and that's that.

Dating can be a lot of fun, and each and every date can glean something interesting for both people involved ... to where you value even someone you don't hit it off with ... if you are honest with yourself about your expectations, where you are at in life with your needs, etc ... and don't try to project something otherwise to those you are going out with :) If you are desperately looking for the next husband ... don't project that you are "just seeing what's out there, starting off slow, just wanting to have fun," because that's not true lol. You are desperately looking for a husband, not just wanting to have fun. If you are just wanting to have fun, get your feet wet ... then project that. And on your date ... you will likely have fun and get your feet wet. Hopefully you get the idea ... I could use a million different scenarios here.

I think where people get disenfranchised, confused, nervous and afraid and all of that, is largely when they aren't honest with themselves and others about where they are at in life, and try to pretend to be something else. Sometimes it's done out of thinking you need to "play the game that way to win" ... but imo that's nonsense and doesn't give you what you are looking for, or even allow changes and growth to take place within yourself, etc.

I'll stop there ... maybe I gave some food for thought that can help, maybe not :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thatforumguy77

Random Person
Nov 5, 2013
✟8,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's in the Word. But I say to you, whoever divorces his wife causes her to commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
Matt 5:32 Anyone who would marry a divorced woman commits adultery. That is a big deal, Brother!

Not always, Christ has given us some guidelines on what is acceptable for divorce. In the above scripture, the complete verse is thus:
But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery. (Matt 5:32)

And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery. (Matt 19:19)
This was scripturally similar to the time Joseph wanted to divorce Mary because of her perceived sin. And still, Matthew calls Joseph "Righteous" despite this detail. OP said she is scripturally free to marry again, so I assume this is the case. If it is not... then I wholly agree with you!

That said, as much as possible, do not enter the dating game. It is not a scriptural way of gaining a lifetime partner. Instead, seek a more biblical bethrothal: First seek God's guidance in finding the right partner. Then follow Him. He knows you more than you know yourself. Avoid as much as possible dating for leisure - those who were overtly romantic in the Bible all had negative ends: Samson and Delilah, David and Bathsheba, Amnon and Tamar, Solomon and a good fraction the world's princesses. In contrast it was those who followed God's calling first that got much success - Isaac and Rebekah, Jacob and Rachel, Boaz and Ruth, King and Esther, Joseph and Mary, and so forth. Begin with friendship, then with courtship, betrothal/preparation, then marriage. It is old fashioned, but it has been used in the Bible before with great success than modern dating.

Because in modern dating, love flourishes before betrothal (or knowing someone fully) and thus can be confused with other more malignant emotions. W can be so easily confused if we love a person for mere appearance, wit, or if we love them spiritually. But in biblical betrothal, you come prepared with clear intentions to begin a family, and love can flourish through knowing and understanding each other completely. In doing this, and in practicing such self-control, virtue becomes more polished, and the Spirit can sanctify the union better.

Upvote 0
H

hazeleyes72

Not always, Christ has given us some guidelines on what is acceptable for divorce. In the above scripture, the complete verse is thus:
But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Thank you! I didn't come here to be judged. Your advice was good also. In all honesty, I do NOT want to date. I think that I had the feeling of wanting someone now cause the holidays are hardest without a life partner.​

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
It's in the Word. But I say to you, whoever divorces his wife causes her to commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
Mtt 5:32

Anyone who would marry a divorced woman commits adultery. That's a big deal, Brother!

I gave a facepalm because even in the scripture you posted there is one way in which remarriage isn't sin, yet you missed it. Not only that, but divorce isn't the unpardonable sin.

While I am married to my first wife, I have had people tell me that I need to go back to my ex-girlfriend because we have five children together and were together ten years because they misinterpret scripture to say I was married because we were together for so long and have had children together. Nevermind the fact that she wanted out of our relationship, and had someone on the side whom quickly moved in after I moved out.

So while I don't know what the OP's divorce was for, I can hazard a guess it was for adultery on her husbands part. So empathize with her because I kinda of know the feeling of someone telling her she is in sin even though I wasn't married and was free to marry the woman I am with now. However, the OP is free to marry according to scripture per Jesus own words on the subject.

Upvote 0
H

hazeleyes72

I gave a facepalm because even in the scripture you posted there is one way in which remarriage isn't sin, yet you missed it. Not only that, but divorce isn't the unpardonable sin.

While I am married to my first wife, I have had people tell me that I need to go back to my ex-girlfriend because we have five children together and were together ten years because they misinterpret scripture to say I was married because we were together for so long and have had children together. Nevermind the fact that she wanted out of our relationship, and had someone on the side whom quickly moved in after I moved out.

So while I don't know what the OP's divorce was for, I can hazard a guess it was for adultery on her husbands part. So empathize with her because I kinda of know the feeling of someone telling her she is in sin even though I wasn't married and was free to marry the woman I am with now. However, the OP is free to marry according to scripture per Jesus own words on the subject.

You're right. My marriage ended due to adultery on my ex's part. I stayed two years in the marriage after the first instance was discovered and tried to make it work. In that time, I found out about multiple other affairs he had. He was not remorseful and did not repent. If your ex didn't want to stay and moved on before you even left, I concur with your decision to move on.

As one of the other posters said, I'm probably not ready to date but I think I'm getting closer.... let me rephrase...meet someone - my life partner...

Upvote 0