Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah. If I had my way, if you declare war, your family leads the invasion. Sick of all these leaders sending other people's kids to die.
During Vietnam you could be married, have a child and be a college student and they could still draft you. Yet they would pass over the high school drop outs and not draft them. So at first they went to a lottery system to try to resolve the issue. Today what they do is they control the money for a college education. For some people to get an education to get a job they have to serve in the military. It is the only opportunity available for them.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,984.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
As long as you understand that cosmic evolution entails about seven different sub-evolutions (planetary, chemical, biological, etc.), I'm happy.
In very general terms you are more or less correct. However, we now have scientific explanations for the origins of the universe, of galaxies, stars and planets, and of the chemical elements. I am not a biologist, and so cannot venture onto biological evolution.

Upvote 0

Black Dog

Sep 20, 2015
✟4,870.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
During Vietnam you could be married, have a child and be a college student and they could still draft you. Yet they would pass over the high school drop outs and not draft them. So at first they went to a lottery system to try to resolve the issue. Today what they do is they control the money for a college education. For some people to get an education to get a job they have to serve in the military. It is the only opportunity available for them.

Yes, I've seen that. So messed up.

Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟371,115.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Hard words??? can words shake your faith? is your faith that weak that it can not stand up for itself?
You asked and I told you, if you didn't want to know why did you ask? perhaps you think that I told you too much and you don't like what I said? do you always walk away when people say too much? are you afraid to be questioned about your faith?
What about 1 Peter 3:15 ?
You know, I was in the process of getting to know you, not really going into conflict material, and then suddenly you are all over in that corner. There is a sure slip of contact there, but maybe that is what happens on the internet discussions ?

You will provoke me to defend my faith? We were only at the point of exchanging information about each other, and then suddenly you go into fighting mode. I think there is nothing to be gained from being in a fighter position. My faith is a faith of peace, not of war. It does not mean that I can not answer, but I insist on a normal relaxed conversation. A relaxed exchange will be more productive.

Best regards, Peter

Upvote 0

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You know, I was in the process of getting to know you, not really going into conflict material, and then suddenly you are all over in that corner. There is a sure slip of contact there, but maybe that is what happens on the internet discussions ?

You will provoke me to defend my faith? We were only at the point of exchanging information about each other, and then suddenly you go into fighting mode. I think there is nothing to be gained from being in a fighter position. My faith is a faith of peace, not of war. It does not mean that I can not answer, but I insist on a normal relaxed conversation. A relaxed exchange will be more productive.
I hope you don't mind but I would rather not.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Except for the ones where we don't know who wrote them,
For 76 years, science didn't even known Pluto wasn't our 9th planet.

So I'm not going to be surprised if science doesn't know who wrote the book of Matthew.

Science even thought Thalidomide was a prenatal wonder drug.

So if science thinks God doesn't exist, I'm not going to lose any sleep.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

And for hundreds of years before that, we didn't even know Pluto existed. Go figure.

So I'm not going to be surprised if science doesn't know who wrote the book of Matthew.

Science, me, you...

Science even thought Thalidomide was a prenatal wonder drug.

It wasn't?

So if science thinks God doesn't exist,

Science doesn't "think" anything. What "science" does, is look for evidence. So far: God/s 0

I'm not going to lose any sleep.

There'll come a time, AV. Maybe sooner than you think. You can't "choose" your beliefs.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Science knew that Pluto was our 9th planet 3500 years ago. The Sumerians knew. Only they did not consider our moon to be a moon. They considered the earth & moon to be duel planets. They considered the asteroid belt to be a planet that blew up.

sumarianscroll.jpg
images

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,984.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
Science knew that Pluto was our 9th planet 3500 years ago. The Sumerians knew. Only they did not consider our moon to be a moon. They considered the earth & moon to be dual planets. They considered the asteroid belt to be a planet that blew up.
Utter rubbish! How did the Sumerians know this? How do you know that the Sumerians knew it? Why do you believe such stuff?

Tell me something else. Did the Sumerians know about the satellites of Jupiter and Saturn? Did they know about the rings of Saturn? Did they know that planets and comets move in elliptical orbits with the Sun at one focus? Did they know Pluto's orbital period, or the fact that its orbit crosses that of Neptune?

By the way, the Sumerians were wrong; the asteroid belt is not the product of a planet that blew up.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,984.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
Thomas Malthus said it was Nature's will that we go to war.
The Reverend Thomas Robert Malthus (1766-1834). Please give him his correct title. And can you actually give a direct quotation, with its source?

Upvote 0

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Does the man ever give any answers or are they just speculations? is magic [or as religious people like to call them miracles] an answer? we don't know how it happened so it must have been a miracle.
As we all know magic [miracle] is the answer to everything but the explanation for nothing.

Calling what the religious refer as miracles being 'magic' is derogatory, and inaccurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Calling what the religious refer as miracles being 'magic' is derogatory, and inaccurate.
If you can explain to me the difference between the two I will willingly apologise, I don't see any difference as both require the laws of physics to be violated.

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you can explain to me the difference between the two I will willingly apologise, I don't see any difference as both require the laws of physics to be violated.

It's about context, and you know exactly what you are doing when you blatantly correlate miracles and 'magic'. There's nothing 'magical' about a miracle, as it is a holy intervention of God, not some fictitious wizardry.
They really need to make a rule on that here, as it's disrespectful.

Upvote 0

Black Dog

Sep 20, 2015
✟4,870.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's about context, and you know exactly what you are doing when you blatantly correlate miracles and 'magic'. There's nothing 'magical' about a miracle, as it is a divine intervention from God, not some fictitious wizardry.
They really need to make a rule on that here, as it's disrespectful and tasteless.

I'm not commenting on, or correlating, them, and accept that there is a difference. But as atheists, how can we tell which is which?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So how can you tell which act was performed by a skilled wizard, and which act was performed by God?

Does a skilled wizard heal the blind? No.
For people that love to scream at everything as being offensive, you all sure do know how to be utter hypocrites.

Upvote 0