PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
What if that were true, what if God were a product of our own imagination. As long as it works, as long as people are happy and content then what is the problem? For me I would not claim I created God because my God goes beyond what people can do on their own apart from God. Also I would do things a lot different from the way He does things.

There isn't really a problem, so long as it doesn't cause people to violate the rights of others or deny important facts. Unfortunately, some religious people get carried away. I have had stuff thrown at me, it isn't fun.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Bible says seek and you shall find. I am not sure what it is that you are trying to believe in, but you have not demonstrated to me that you have any idea at all in regards to what God is all about. Often people have a strawman God of their own creation and they have not yet found out about the real God and what He is all about.
Everyone has their own ideal of what a God is like. What makes you think yours is any better than the millions of others out there? While you may be more informed than the average person, surely you would not suggest you were the most informed person about your faith currently alive?

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There isn't really a problem, so long as it doesn't cause people to violate the rights of others or deny important facts. Unfortunately, some religious people get carried away. I have had stuff thrown at me, it isn't fun.
When we are ready God will send us the teacher we need at that point in our life. We continue to learn and grow.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone has their own ideal of what a God is like. What makes you think yours is any better than the millions of others out there? While you may be more informed than the average person, surely you would not suggest you were the most informed person about your faith currently alive?
I do not care about the millions of other concepts that people have. It's every man and women for themselves. We have to do the best we can do to do and be all that God wants for us.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I do not care about the millions of other concepts that people have. It's every man and women for themselves. We have to do the best we can do to do and be all that God wants for us.
And thus, how can you tell what I think of in terms of God could be in any way lesser to yours, when you don't actually know where you stand in that regard? Mine could be the more accurate of the two just by chance.

Upvote 0

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Even if it means fooling yourself into believing a myth, I see.

Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟371,115.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Not in the way you think, I have been moved in the cinema and the theatre and I have cried with delight and sadness because of the music and the words but I have never once put those feelings down to a God of any sort, why would anyone even think of doing that?

You have been told a God exists and you have designed the God in your mind to suit yourself and your needs, for you your God is wonderful and can do no wrong, your God truly understands you and he loves you and you think your God will take care of you. [I take it your God is a he?]
The truth is you are taking care of yourself and giving the credit to your imagined God.
Seems like the conversation is running off its track here. I share something personal and then you react by hard words? I can not guess your motive for doing so, but I suggest we cool it for now. Let's get back in touch another day.
Take care
best regards Peter

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even if it means fooling yourself into believing a myth, I see.
My belief in God is based on what I can test and know is true. It is not easy to trust in God because we think we know better then He does. In time we learn that His plan is the best plan and so we learn that it is in our best interest to follow His plan for us and our lives. One thing is for sure, when we trust in Him, He will never ever disappoint us. He will always come through for us. It is not easy to trust everything to Him but over time we learn all the advantages of following God and doing everything His way. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. So it is a win win situation. We jump and trust that He is going to catch us and He always does. Only it is not always so easy to do. If people can jump and trust that their parashoot is going to work then we can jump and trust the God is going to take care of us.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cool. Can you name them all?
Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, James, Peter, Paul and so on. The books they wrote are often named after them. Moses, David, Solomon, Daniel, and so on.

Upvote 0

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It usually isn't very productive to say stuff like this, I wish people did it less.
That could well be the problem right there, if believers were told how others feel about their myth believing and they were mocked when they were younger perhaps they would not believe as they do today. [It works in the UK]
When a child gets to a certain age their parents stop telling them that Santa is real, if they continue to believe that Santa is real they get laughed at on the school bus or in school and they soon stop believing, if the same was done with religion the problem could well be nipped in the bud for millions of people.
I do however realise the exact opposite is true of America because the unbelievers [not the unbelievers in Santa] are more than likely to be in the minority on the school bus or in the schools, that's because the parents continue to tell the children that unlike Santa the God is real even when he is only as real as Santa was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Not in the way you think, I have been moved in the cinema and the theatre and I have cried with delight and sadness because of the music and the words but I have never once put those feelings down to a God of any sort, why would anyone even think of doing that?
You have been told a God exists and you have designed the God in your mind to suit yourself and your needs, for you your God is wonderful and can do no wrong, your God truly understands you and he loves you and you think your God will take care of you. [I take it your God is a he?]
The truth is you are taking care of yourself and giving the credit to your imagined God.
Seems like the conversation is running off its track here. I share something personal and then you react by hard words? I can not guess your motive for doing so, but I suggest we cool it for now. Let's get back in touch another day.
Take care
best regards Peter
Hard words??? can words shake your faith? is your faith that weak that it can not stand up for itself?
You asked and I told you, if you didn't want to know why did you ask? perhaps you think that I told you too much and you don't like what I said? do you always walk away when people say too much? are you afraid to be questioned about your faith?
What about 1 Peter 3:15 ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. So it is a win win situation.
By saying that you have everything to lose and nothing to gain, do you think your God doesn't know that you are only hedging your bets? believing just in case there's something in this religious stuff.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By saying that you have everything to lose and nothing to gain, do you think your God doesn't know that you are only hedging your bets? believing just in case there's something in this religious stuff.
Now I am beginning to see the problem. Go back and read what I wrote again because when you read it you got it all twisted up and did not understand what you were reading. When I became a Christian I had been looking & looking & looking for answers and solutions. I was in a lot of pain at the time. Someone said try God, try the Bible. I had tried everything else and NOTHING else was giving me answers and solutions. I had nothing to lose and everything to gain if finally I had found what I was looking for. As it turns out the Bible does work. Do what the Bible says to do and you will get the results that the Bible says you will get. Other people have the same testimony and they say the same things. Even there are people not able to get the Bible to work for them in their life, I still get the results I am looking for. So I am going to continue to do what I know works for me. As I am sure you will continue to do what you know works for you.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That could well be the problem right there, if believers were told how others feel about their myth believing and they were mocked when they were younger perhaps they would not believe as they do today. [It works in the UK]
When a child gets to a certain age their parents stop telling them that Santa is real, if they continue to believe that Santa is real they get laughed at on the school bus or in school and they soon stop believing, if the same was done with religion the problem could well be nipped in the bud for millions of people.
I do however realize the exact opposite is true of America because the unbelievers [not the unbelievers in Santa] are more than likely to be in the minority on the school bus or in the schools, that's because the parents continue to tell the children that unlike Santa the God is real even when he is only as real as Santa was.
Saint Nicholas is a real person. Santa was a fiction story first written in the 1800's that people continue to talk about today. As Christians we know the difference between the real Saint Nicholas and the counterfeit or fiction Santa.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟234,873.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
It's more than that.

This is dreadful stuff. Either the people who appear on it are completely ignorant of cosmology, or they are deliberately attacking straw-men.

It would take hours to correct all the errors, but I will try two. First, the Big Bang was not an explosion in any sense of the word. Second, the second law of thermodynamics does not necessarily imply that the universe began in a highly ordered (low-entropy) state and has become more disordered since. One hypothesis is that in the beginning the universe had the maximum possible entropy for its size, but the maximum entropy has increased as the universe expanded, thus allowing the total entropy of the universe to increase continuously from its original high-entropy state.

Upvote 0

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Saint Nicholas is a real person. Santa was a fiction story first written in the 1800's that people continue to talk about today. As Christians we know the difference between the real Saint Nicholas and the counterfeit or fiction Santa.
Now who's twisting words? if parents didn't keep pushing religion as if it were true it would go the same way Santa does, the kids would just stop believing it.

Upvote 0