Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I know you and I don't agree on a lot, but I do get what you're saying about trust. I don't have those particular issues myself, but I get that you actually do. I've looked at some of your older posts and I think that sometimes people on both sides are talking past each other a little bit. I think people around here probably actually agree on things more than we give each other credit for.
:oldthumbsup:

Where's the fun in arguing the things we agree on though? ;)

Upvote 0

Pink Spider

EUROPEAN ANGLICAN
Site Supporter
May 26, 2013
Sweden
✟38,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

MOD HAT ON

Thread has undergone a cleanup by CF Staff.
Please stop Flaming/Goading each other!

Also stay ON TOPIC.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm going to take an educated guess that Arby's is an an At-Will employer. Something I'm sure, Republicans love, over unionization.

I am not a Republican, but I am in favor of At Will employment over unionization. For one thing, a unionized employee can't be fired on the spot for blatant violation of customer service policy. They would be "reassigned" while the arbitration phase is in process. I have dealt with some pretty unprofessional service people who never should have been hired for a customer service job. I give it right back to them, and then take my business elsewhere if it is a new business for me, or else refuse to be waited on by them if it is a business I frequent.

Also, when it comes to promotions, an employee of lesser tenure, but who performs better and has more knowledge of the job responsibilities will be passed over for a less-qualified but longer-tenured employee. That happened to me when my boss retired. My employer is not union, but after they busted their union 20+ years ago they still upheld at lot of "unionized business" policies, like basing OT on working over 8 hours/day instead of working over 40 hours/week. I worked alongside of my boss in the Credit department for 4 years, I was her back-up, and I could do every single part of her job. Yet, when it came time to pick her replacement, the woman who does Shipping/Billing/Inventory Adjustment was picked, simply because she has been with the company longer than I have been. My boss didn't agree with it, but she was overruled by HR. She's been doing the job of Credit Manager for over a year, and she still struggles with that plus all over her original task list (before promotion) because she doesn't know how to delegate responsibility to me, because I'm supposed to be her assistant in that department, just as I was for my boss when her assistant decided to leave during the recession.

It's really entertaining to watch this play out after she comes back after taking vacation. She was rushing around all this past week trying to get the invoices printed and sent for customers who need credits made on their accounts (we're supposed to be sending out the monthly statements this coming week so the changes SHOULD be made before that), because she always leaves that to the end of the month rather than doing them ASAP, and then she was out on vacation for the last 2 full weeks of August. SMH. I could have done all of the credit invoices for her, but she always tells me to just leave it for her. Whatever.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I am not a Republican, but I am in favor of At Will employment over unionization. For one thing, a unionized employee can't be fired on the spot for blatant violation of customer service policy. They would be "reassigned" while the arbitration phase is in process. I have dealt with some pretty unprofessional service people who never should have been hired for a customer service job. I give it right back to them, and then take my business elsewhere if it is a new business for me, or else refuse to be waited on by them if it is a business I frequent.

I think that's true.

I'm just pointing out that most of restaurant industry--I've worked in two--so far as I can tell is "At-Will" employment.

I was never arbitrarily fired in the restaurants I worked in. I was never fired in them period actually.

On a funny note, I remember humping in high school as bus-boy/dishwasher at the restaurant I worked at. I mean HUMPING. And still my time getting out--via cleaning up etc.--was at first too late. But since I was trying so hard and showed concern in getting fired they kept me on to give me a chance. My timing improved. Over time I was promoted to cook. But why I say it is funny is because of having pulled into Knoxville, Tennessee for a day. Stopping in similar type of "family restaurant" and the employees were young white people super slow and lazy. With not an ounce of enthusiasm. This with few customers in the restaurant. I couldn't believe it. They'd never survive employed in the restaurants of the Midwest. Probably not even in the black ghetto which has some of the worst teenage employee service. These people in Knoxville took the cake.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
These people in Knoxville took the cake.
LOL, it was not for nothing that the ancestors of folks in east Tennessee earned the name hillbillies. Maybe it's the water or the moonshine or just something in the air. Reminds me of the last time I went back to my high school, about 50 miles south of Knoxville, a few years ago. (I come by my opinion of the area honestly.
wink_smile.gif
)

Life's pace is a little different in east Tennessee. It's not like the midwest ... and it's not really like the deep "South" either.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
LOL, it was not for nothing that the ancestors of folks in east Tennessee earned the name hillbillies. Maybe it's the water or the moonshine or just something in the air. Reminds me of the last time I went back to my high school, about 50 miles south of Knoxville, a few years ago. (I come by my opinion of the area honestly.
wink_smile.gif
)

Life's pace is a little different in east Tennessee. It's not like the midwest ... and it's not really like the deep "South" either.

Okay, good, I was hoping I wasn't being unfair or "extremely" unfair to the residents of Knoxville. (I'm sure not everyone raised and living in Knoxville is like that.)

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Okay, good, I was hoping I wasn't being unfair or "extremely" unfair to the residents of Knoxville. (I'm sure not everyone raised and living in Knoxville is like that.)
Nope. It's not everyone. Some of the nation's most advanced scientific work came out of the Oak Ridge Laboratories there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Ridge_National_Laboratory
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is a multiprogram science and technology national laboratory managed for the United States Department of Energy (DOE) by UT-Battelle. ORNL is the largest science and energy national laboratory in the Department of Energy system by acreage. ORNL is located in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, near Knoxville. ORNL's scientific programs focus on materials, neutron science, energy, high-performance computing, systems biology and national security.

ORNL partners with the state of Tennessee, universities and industries to solve challenges in energy, advanced materials, manufacturing, security and physics.

The laboratory is home to several of the world's top supercomputers including the world's second most powerful supercomputer ranked by the TOP500, Titan, and is a leading neutron science and nuclear energy research facility that includes the Spallation Neutron Source and High Flux Isotope Reactor. ORNL hosts the Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences, the BioEnergy Science Center, and the Consortium for Advanced Simulation of Light-Water Reactors.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I wonder how people would have taken that.

Probably the same way they take anyone who fights for a belief that's not their own...

Reactions: Cute Tink
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Noting that the incident itself has been in the news for 24 hours or so. The Daily Caller was merely reporting the latest development in the story ... the firing of the manager and suspension of the employee.

Where have you been getting your news, btw, that you missed this incident? :scratch:

Wait. Where are we getting our news that we aren't up to date on the latest Arby's story?

In this thread I have learned: A police officer was refused service at Arby's (lucky guy dodged that bullet), and that those responsible were either fired or suspended. Is there anything more to this story that is not summed up in that single sentence that I need to be caught up on? How are there "latest developments" on the story? Did the Arby's in question once refuse to serve a paramedic back in the 80's? Is it the Arby's Lincoln had his last meal at? Is it the Arby's where survivors of Hurricane Katrina huddled in for hours with only foam cups and curly fries for protection?

What kind of a world do you live in where this is considered "news"? What kind of news service runs this story as though it were important? How did this make the news cycle for 24 hours? How did it make it for 10 minutes?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Wait. Where are we getting our news that we aren't up to date on the latest Arby's story?
Noting that Pakicetus subsequently responded with this post ... acknowledging the accuracy of the story.
Wow, it's apparently true. Obviously nobody should be refused service just because they're a cop.
What kind of a world do you live in where this is considered "news"? What kind of news service runs this story as though it were important? How did this make the news cycle for 24 hours? How did it make it for 10 minutes?
The treatment of police isn't news where you live? The major media outlets covered the Arby's story. Take USA Today for example.

Just like now ... USA Today runs a current story of how a police officer in Houston was treated.
Teen makes sure police officer pumping gas is 'safe' | USA Today

"I was right there, kind of front in her, just watched and made sure no one was coming, making sure nothing was going to happen to her," Zoellner said.

"The poor kid was getting rained on," said Kelley. "It was pouring. After a full tank of gas, he's still getting rained on."

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Noting that Pakicetus subsequently responded with this post ... acknowledging the accuracy of the story.

The treatment of police isn't news where you live? The major media outlets covered the Arby's story. Take USA Today for example.

Just like now ... USA Today runs a current story of how a police officer in Houston was treated.
Teen makes sure police officer pumping gas is 'safe' | USA Today

"I was right there, kind of front in her, just watched and made sure no one was coming, making sure nothing was going to happen to her," Zoellner said.

"The poor kid was getting rained on," said Kelley. "It was pouring. After a full tank of gas, he's still getting rained on."

Were those responsible disciplined? Did the police officer go somewhere else for food?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Were those responsible disciplined? Did the police officer go somewhere else for food?
I refer you to post #1 ...
Arby’s Fires Manager, Indefinitely Suspends Employee Who Refused To Serve Cop | Daily Caller

Rollins told TheDCNF the employee was indefinitely suspended “pending further investigation.” The manager is Angel Mirabal, 22, and the employee was identified as Kenneth Davenport, 19.

Unfortunate. Evidently, at their young ages they couldn't see past the distorted propaganda.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I refer you to post #1 ...

Yes. That was the source for most of my information on this very important story. Two idiots are fired and suspended from Arby's for not serving a police officer. And this is somehow national news, worthy of up-to-the-minute updates on the 24 hour news cycle.

I am also unclear on how a second not-yet-ready-for-primetime article makes the first any more important.

You really don't see how this is ridiculous? What makes this story news-worthy?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes. That was the source for most of my information on this very important story. Two idiots are fired and suspended from Arby's for not serving a police officer. And this is somehow national news, worthy of up-to-the-minute updates on the 24 hour news cycle.

I am also unclear on how a second not-yet-ready-for-primetime article makes the first any more important.

You really don't see how this is ridiculous? What makes this story news-worthy?

Maybe you should ask the reporter who wrote the story.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Really? Nobody can explain why this is considered national headline, 24 hour news cycle, up-to-the-minute development news?

because of all the anti/pro cop stuff being thrown around in the media. they wanted to convey that cops can have a hard time just trying to get some roast beef?

Upvote 0