Minnesota
✟16,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am pretty sure that God wants me to go to mazatlan for a DTS. All I have left to do is apply. So the the question is, what can I expect. Is there anybody that has done it before? Is there anybody who is involved with them currently?
Lots of questions, I know, but I would appreciate some responses. Thank you.

Brandon

Reactions: handmaiden97
V

valuecard

i would advise steer clear of YWAM, the main reason is that because, they have, to a large extent, replaced biblical evangelism, with musical evangelism. they excel in reaching an unreached people group, but when it comes to them reaching people within western cultures, they are not effective at all. THey are well intentioned yes, but they have big time lost touch with biblical evangelism. case in point, friday nites in my city, the YWAM people come together and they sing to God and bong their bongo drums and dance, for about an hour, then they go out for coffeee and go home. That is NOT evangelism, but ive spoken to those guys and htey think they are doing a great job - go figure :S

Upvote 0

doglover

Serving my Prince
Dec 8, 2004
✟20,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
One of my best friends is on staff with YWAM in Northern Ireland. She's been there about 7 months, and she has about a year and 3 months left as a staff member. She did the DTS first, and from what she told me about it, it was incredible. I've never been on a misson trip or anything like that, but if I ever did do something like that, I would definitley want to go with YWAM.
In response to the above poster, from what I've seen with YWAM, that is NOT true. Though I do think that with any mission organization, it seems that the people who go are often touched and changed by God more than the people who they're going to minister to. And that's not wrong. God uses different things in our lives to change us and mold us to who He wants us to be, and if it's a mission trip, then awesome! :)

Upvote 0
V

valuecard

again, if you go out and hit the streets with ywam for any period of time, then u find a biblical group of evangelism and go out with them for any period of time, you will find that their ministries are worlds apart. YWAM'ers might be well intentioned, but often execution is poor and often unblicical, espec their emphasis on "sporting ministries" (give me a break!)

Upvote 0

bluemarkus

Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
somewhere on google maps
✟17,853.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
hey brandon,

did my DTS in burtigny in fall/winter 2004/2005. outreach was to malawi.

you´re 22 right now, so that´s a great age to give YWAM a try.
if the lord of all the earth has put it in your heart already, thats a good sign. you know, all human movements undergo changes, you can read that in church history. theres both the good and the not so good in ywam. but you´re gonna figure that out.

why don´t you join as a mission builder to check stuff out before you commit to a DTS ?

bless ya

Markus

Upvote 0

Jarvo

Dec 16, 2006
London
✟7,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hiya,

I don't really know much about YWAM from the insiders point of view, but have always heard very good things about it. I have just finished reading 'Is that really you, Lord', which is the story of how YWAM was set up. It's such an inspirational tale of how someone's dream developed into a worldwide movement.

To valuecard - don't you agree that sometimes when YWAM have meetings it should be to just praise God, and not necessarily evangelise? Also, what's wrong with 'sporting ministries'? Sports in my experience, have a great ability to cross language and culture barriers. The football team at my church is probably the most effective evangelistic tool, and this is with very little resources.

Jarvo

Upvote 0

kennyconley

Apr 18, 2007
Keller, TX
Visit site
✟15,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think with YWAM it depends on where you do your DTS. My only experience is with Fed Markert at the Strategic Frontiers DTS in Colorodo Springs. He is an amazing man with such passion and a plan to reach the unreached... I sit utterly amazed every time I hear him speak. If I had gone that route, that is the DTS I would have gone to.

Kenny

Upvote 0

shadistarr

Nov 23, 2006
San Francisco
✟8,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've heard nothing but good things about YWAM. They have an amazing ministry in San Francisco with the homeless population. I think they have a great way of serving people's needs and meeting people where they are at.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if "sporting ministries" are YWAMers using sports as a means to build relationships and share the gospel in those relationships, I don't see that unbiblical or not evangilizing, same applies to musical ministry. Relating to people and finding common interests is a great way to share the gospel.

Good luck on the application

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2007
Arkansas
✟7,636.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've done w YWAM DTS class in 1996. however it was very hard for me being the only pentecostal of the crew.Personally I didn't like it at all. I ended up leaving there after my 6 months of DTS. Another boy also ended up leaving YWAM for the same reason I did. They have so many teachings that all it did was confuse me.
I did love the trip to Belarus though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pickusdr

Aug 7, 2005
Minnesota
✟16,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am thankful for all the comments. I just don't know what to expect. For the people that didn't have a good experience, I am sorry. I know that not all ministries are for everyone; God has a place for everyone in the body. I believe that this is the place God wants me, so I will take from it what He gives me.

I am kinda interested in what a "day in the life" of a YWAMer is, meaning what did you learn? What did you do? Where was your ourtreach country? What did you do there? What was it like to go from your first base to your outreach country? Do you have some sort of freedom while you are there? Are you locked on the base for three months, or can only leave and expolore the city?

I guess it will be different on different bases, but I would love to hear some specific details.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

pickusdr

Aug 7, 2005
Minnesota
✟16,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for your wisdom Markus,
I would love to do a Mission Builder and have a taste of YWAM, But I don't think I have time, and I don't think God wants to give me an opportunity to whimp out. (that hurts to write!). I know that I could find a million reasons not to do what God is telling me, so I am pretty sure it would be better for me to just jump in.

Oh yeah, I just gat back from a 10 day mission trip to Belize, Central America, and it was awesome. That is what solidified my decision to go ahead with it. I prayed so hard about it, and I got my answer "Go, Go, Brandon! I want to show you who you are! GO!"

I think the questions are more so I can prepare myself (like I can figure out what God is going to teach me before he does!!!). I am ready to be a warrior for Christ, but part of me wants to know what I am getting in to.

Brandon

Upvote 0

handmaiden97

Veteran
Jun 7, 2005
Wyoming
Visit site
✟9,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Im a ywamer, and have been on Staff with Y for almost 7 years and did my DTS back in 1998. I have hight recomendations for YWAM thought beacuse our mionistry is so large and vastley different from base to base I have seen strenghts and weekeness. Those who have had bad expereinces Im sorry but please dont judge all of YWAM by that for you have only seen a very small segment of the big picture.

The base I work with is called Western Frontiers also known as Cowboys With a Mission...our focus is reaching rural folks here in the states as well as overseas. mainly we work with nomadic horse cultures, weather that is rodeo kids here in the states or horseman of Kyrgyzstan.

to specifically answer your questions

what a "day in the life" of a YWAMer is,
Well this will vary form base to base. A dts student on our place gets up early for breakfast, has their quiet time, then gatehrs with their class or with the whole base staff and students for a time of worship and prayer. They also have class time, time to learn dramas, time to reach out int he local community, time to help with the basic needs of the base (chores, work duties etc.) most bases this would include cleaning heling to cook supper etc...our base logging, and peeling logs, construction, and working with the horses or other livestock

meaning what did you learn?
hearing the voice of God, How to share your faith, learnign to study the character of God, Gods heart for the nations.

Its not about stuffing facts in your head but heart knowledge, truth you can apply to everyday life. For me my DTS was hard and challenging especially since God did a great deal of healing in my heart thought none of it was easy.

What did you do?
sort of answered above with what a typical day is like. but we also hung out, watch movies, talked into all hours of the night, hiked, went camping. did scanvenger hunts etc
Where was your ourtreach country?
Brazil & argentina. though we also sent a second team to Morrocco

What did you do there?
Again our base is not typical since we work with rural folks we volunteered to serve on ranches, movign cattle etc. We also did some street evangelism using drama to draw a crowd and get a messeage out. we have also sent teams out who worked in orphanages, helped do soem building gone into some back areas by horseback and concentrated more so on plannting seeds and buildign relationships. I nmet one DTS who used rock climbing and hiking as their means of visitng remote areas and contetrated thier ministry ion their guides and other they met on the trail

What was it like to go from your first base to your outreach country?
I had never left the states so was terrified, I thought the plane might fall apart! I had never been out of wayoming Montana or south dakota and so when I landed in sou paulo Brazil (2cnd largest city int he world) i panicked. Bit God used that outreach to give me his heart for the nations, thought I have alswyas felt more drwan to muslim cultrues then south america
Do you have some sort of freedom while you are there? Are you locked on the base for three months, or can only leave and expolore the city?

No worries your not a prisioner or a captive. Your scedule most liekly will be hectic so one may not have a lot of time to explore but you usually have your weekends off. Though I recomend spending as much time as possible with your classmates, this is a once in a life time opportunity. I was aloner so spent much of my weekends or evenings off bymyself in my pickup truck, and I missed out on a lot of fun and good things. also IO recomend spending time with the staff at your base who are not DTS staff. Thought for those staff it is hard to get involved in a school or a students life for they have ministries of thier own happening and well they see tons of people come throgh and leave again. I speak as a staff memeber who has not gotten involved and regretted it.

I guess it will be different on different bases, but I would love to hear some specific details.

well hoppe that helps you out

Thanks!

Upvote 0

pickusdr

Aug 7, 2005
Minnesota
✟16,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That was amazing! Thank you for such a detailed account. I am feeling pretty good about moving ahead on this adventure. The things you said about being kind of a loner is true for me too. I know that is one of my weaknesses and I will be sure to stretch myself and be with the other people of the school.

Again I thank you so much for your time and thoughtfulness in your response.

Brandon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sinfulman

Feb 8, 2007
✟15,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm working through a copy of YWAM's Perspectives course on missions and it is a very comprehensive and balanced document. Well worth working through. I have had no other involvement with the organisation but if this is the kind of training they give people, they are on the right lines.

Upvote 0

Aileen

Jul 30, 2004
✟7,870.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I only noticed this post today so am late in adding my comments. I personally know some YWAM missionaries who work permanently in South America and who have an excellent ministry.

I cannot understand what a group of young people who don´t speak the language nor have serious Bible training hope to accomplish during their short time in another country. Their ministry is confined to "dramas" , organising events for street children or in orphanages, this may sound lovely but can be done by the local church.

If some young people want to visit missionary work overseas, that´s fine and it is good experience for them, but to say it is an evangelism outreach is an exaggeration.

I repeat I know first-hand of YWAM work with street-children but I´m not in agreement with "spiritual tourism" as I think the money could be put to better use.

How can one justify that funds are used to support someone from another country to work in a YWAM office in Northern Ireland? Christians abound there.

Upvote 0

doglover

Serving my Prince
Dec 8, 2004
✟20,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
How can one justify that funds are used to support someone from another country to work in a YWAM office in Northern Ireland? Christians abound there.
I understand that you are in the UK, and I'm in the US and have never been to NI or the UK, but from what hear from my friend who is on staff at a YWAM base in Northern Ireland, the spiritual warfare is RAMPANT there, and there are very few Christians. Just because it's not a third-world country doesn't mean there's not a need for mission work there.

Upvote 0