Lynchburg
✟9,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I lead the youth group on Sunday nights at my church, and have been planning to start a series on Philippians. However, I found out that one of the middle school girls recently had a suicide attempt; thankfully, she seems to be doing better. Because Phil. 1:21 states "to live is Christ, and to die is gain," I am wondering if it is appropriate or wise to go through with my current planned lesson. While I would obviously talk heavily on that passage and explain the context and what Paul meant in the passage, I am still slightly concerned. Any thoughts on whether I should continue as planned, or find a different topic to teach on?

Reactions: Dave-W
Dec 10, 2017
Lynchburg
✟9,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Great verse, but probably best not discussed in that circumstance. Perhaps Philippians 4:13 instead?

That's what I ultimately decided on teaching. I taught about the importance of context and how all of Philippians even leads up to 4:13. I then talked about how God sustains Christians through their trials, including some personal examples. Thank you everyone for your help!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's what I ultimately decided on teaching. I taught about the importance of context and how all of Philippians even leads up to 4:13. I then talked about how God sustains Christians through their trials, including some personal examples. Thank you everyone for your help!
THis Thursday the sermon from our service this weekend should be put up on the website. It was Purim, the book of Esther, and was all about divine protection even in the face of attempted murder.

Archives: Podcast | Son of David Congregation

Upvote 0