America
✟16,168.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
1) No American thinks he is "your average American". Most people think of themselves as "above avarage". Even though half of people is just average.

Ya sure, but again I am going to only tell you once more, I am not your average american. I dont partake in your "average" things. I apply the scriptures, hence making me different. Thats just like me saying, well everyone responding on this forum thinks there right, but half of them arent.

2) Even if you really are more mature than other people your age, you still are only 16 and have a lot to learn about life. Just that you are more mature than other 16-year olds does not mean much in terms of that.

What else can I say? Of course I am 16 and I know I have more to learn. That doesnt just vanish what I just said though.

3) Following the Creators way to the best of your ability does not prevent you from making mistakes in your life.

Being humble and realizing this will make you more self-critical, better able to listen to others and possibly better able to avoid bad stuff happening

I really don't understand why you bother posting this on? Of course I and anyone else will make mistakes in life, its not like were gods. Best of my ability means as best as I can, not being perfect. Not because I chose to, but because thats what happens in life, people make mistakes.

Upvote 0

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Good question...

I think some Christian books of late have demeaned "dating", while maintaining that "courting" is the better, more Godly route. However, I haven't read any of these, so I can't speak with authority...

On the other hand, I have read some authors who maintain that only three types of relationships are described in the Bible: parent-child, husband-wife and brother-sister. They assert that, since dating is not described there, it shouldn't be done. :(

This is hogwash. Whatever you call it, prospective partners need to spend enough time together to really learn about each other, and not have unrealistic expectations. Sex can happen, but it doesn't have to; it's up to both partners to be responsible.
Indeed. I've seen plenty of Christians condemn dating for the same reasons you mention here. Some view kissing, holding hands, etc. outside of marriage as wrong and since those almost always go along with dating, it must be bad. One time I even heard Paul Washer tell a story about how a student at a high school died and the one of the student's female friends was hugging guys at the funeral for comfort. He condemned even that as being inappropriate between unmarried males and females.

Waiting until your 20s in my opinion is too late.
Tell me about it. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Strong's Greek: 4205. πόρνος (inappropriate contentos) -- a fornicator

Acts420.com

Fornication means Whoredom and that makes sense seeing under your translation prostitution which is a sin would be missing.

There are a number of examples that show what you are saying is incorrect... for example:

1 Corinthians 7:2 - Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

If premarital sex is not fornication... then why does the bible state the way to avoid fornication is to get married?

Oh it was coherent, you just lack the intelligence to comprehend.

Please son.... I'd call you stupid as well, however that would be an insult to stupid people. So, in the future, try to write your insults in a way that are legible to more people than just yourself.

Actually you apparently do, as you claimed The Bible was made to 'control you', one rule of The Bible is not to murder, therefore according to you that is oppressing, make your opinions clear next time, otherwise you just embarrass yourself.

Apparently you can't grasp the idea that I don't disagree with every rule laid out in the Bible.

As I've already stated to you, I agree with the rules that have good reasons behind them, like prohibiting murder. But that's not tied to the Bible itself, it's tied to the underlying reason why we would create a rule that stops us from killing each other.

'No Good reason' name some so I could own your arguments.

If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.
~Deuteronomy 25:11-12

Any person who curseth his father or mother must be killed
~Leviticus 20:9

If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be cut off from their people
~Leviticus 20:18

People who have flat noses, or are blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God
~Leviticus 21:17-18

The eating of fat is prohibited forever
~Leviticus 3:17

Entrance into the assembly of the Lord was granted only to those with complete testicles
~Deuteronomy 23:1

Stubborn children were to be stoned, and the stoning was to be instigated by their parents
~Deuteronomy 21:18-21

False prophets are to be killed by their own parents
~Zechariah 13:3

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property
~Exodus 21:20-21

If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives
~Deuteronomy 22:28-29

If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters - yes, even his own life - he cannot be my disciple
~Luke 14:26

I can pull out far more examples if you want, but we'll start with those.

Upvote 0

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are a number of examples that show what you are saying is incorrect... for example:

1 Corinthians 7:2 - Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

If premarital sex is not fornication... then why does the bible state the way to avoid fornication is to get married?
I imagine Paul would have been against what we typically think of today when we say premarital sex (consensually done between couples and such), though I'm not sure he addresses that issue in 1 Cor. 7. In chapter 6 he talks about fornication in the context of temple prostitution, which was linked to the worship of pagan gods. Getting married would be a way of avoiding that because you would already have a sexual partner. It was pretty rare for premarital sex that I described above to take place back then, given most were married early. Like I said, Paul doesn't specifically talk about it, but, based on other things he says, I doubt he'd like it. How Christians handle this issue then depends on how they view the Bible and how to apply thing like 1 Cor. 7. Some of Paul's words there are based on the assumption that Jesus would be returning soon (vs. 29); in verse 6, he says that his instructions about marriage are just advice, not commands; etc.

I'm not trying to promote premarital sex here, as that'd be against CF rules, just trying to give a different perspective.

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dating can build you interpersonal and communications skills. As far as asking her father for permission I have never done that. She is an adult and will have to make her own decision. I would not want to have to ask my father for permission to date me. Besides, if I ask her father wouldn't I have to ask her mother as well?

Upvote 0

Mapalad

Back to the old path
Apr 1, 2012
Dubai, UAE
✟15,143.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well what is everyones view? My family has raised me to believe that dating is evil blablabla and you will have sex with this girl. Ya, I am not really buying it. However, I wanted to know everyones view on it. Is it true that people who dated at a young age end up getting a divorce?

Brother,

In my opinion, since you are a believer I think you have read passages from the bible that are enough to guide you when you decided to date. For me you need discipline, respect and a sense of responsibility as a young man.

Proverbs 19

19 Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity
than a man who is perverse in speech, and is a fool.
2 It is not good for a man to be without knowledge,
and he who makes haste with his feet misses his way.
3 When a man’s folly brings his way to ruin,
his heart rages against the Lord.
4 Wealth brings many new friends,
but a poor man is deserted by his friend.
5 A false witness will not go unpunished,
and he who utters lies will not escape.
6 Many seek the favor of a generous man,
and every one is a friend to a man who gives gifts.
7 All a poor man’s brothers hate him;
how much more do his friends go far from him!
He pursues them with words, but does not have them.[a]
8 He who gets wisdom loves himself;
he who keeps understanding will prosper.
9 A false witness will not go unpunished,
and he who utters lies will perish.
10 It is not fitting for a fool to live in luxury,
much less for a slave to rule over princes.
11 Good sense makes a man slow to anger,
and it is his glory to overlook an offense.
12 A king’s wrath is like the growling of a lion,
but his favor is like dew upon the grass.
13 A foolish son is ruin to his father,
and a wife’s quarreling is a continual dripping of rain.
14 House and wealth are inherited from fathers,
but a prudent wife is from the Lord.
15 Slothfulness casts into a deep sleep,
and an idle person will suffer hunger.
16 He who keeps the commandment keeps his life;
he who despises the word[b] will die.
17 He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord,
and he will repay him for his deed.
18 Discipline your son while there is hope;
do not set your heart on his destruction.
19 A man of great wrath will pay the penalty;
for if you deliver him, you will only have to do it again.[c]
20 Listen to advice and accept instruction,
that you may gain wisdom for the future.
21 Many are the plans in the mind of a man,
but it is the purpose of the Lord that will be established.
22 What is desired in a man is loyalty,
and a poor man is better than a liar.
23 The fear of the Lord leads to life;
and he who has it rests satisfied;
he will not be visited by harm.
24 The sluggard buries his hand in the dish,
and will not even bring it back to his mouth.
25 Strike a scoffer, and the simple will learn prudence;
reprove a man of understanding, and he will gain knowledge.
26 He who does violence to his father and chases away his mother
is a son who causes shame and brings reproach.
27 Cease, my son, to hear instruction
only to stray from the words of knowledge.
28 A worthless witness mocks at justice,
and the mouth of the wicked devours iniquity.
29 Condemnation is ready for scoffers,
and flogging for the backs of fools.

Proverbs 31:10-31

10 A good wife who can find?
She is far more precious than jewels.
11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.
12 She does him good, and not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She seeks wool and flax,
and works with willing hands.
14 She is like the ships of the merchant,
she brings her food from afar.
15 She rises while it is yet night
and provides food for her household
and tasks for her maidens.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
17 She girds her loins with strength
and makes her arms strong.
18 She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.
Her lamp does not go out at night.
19 She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her hands hold the spindle.
20 She opens her hand to the poor,
and reaches out her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid of snow for her household,
for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes herself coverings;
her clothing is fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates,
when he sits among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them;
she delivers girdles to the merchant.
25 Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.
26 She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
27 She looks well to the ways of her household,
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women have done excellently,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

31 Give her of the fruit of her hands,
and let her works praise her in the gates.

2 Corinthians 6:14

14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

And lastly my brother if you decided to date or go out with an unbeliever,

1 Corinthians 7:14

For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

KEEP THE FAITH.

Your new friend,
Leny

Upvote 0