Your thoughts on clubbing?

artcool

Apr 5, 2007
✟15,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it appropriate for a Christian to go clubbing? I personally don't really think so, but a few of my Christian friends don't see anything wrong with it. :S

I have prayed about it and feel that it not something that God would necessarily approve of. When I asked my cousin, who I have always respected and considered to be a good role model as a Christian, I was told that it isn't wrong at all.

I'm feeling a little uncertain and confused. These days, peer pressure is often a driving force for partaking in many activities, which is unfortunate but true. Does anyone have an answer/opinion?

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is it appropriate for a Christian to go clubbing? I personally don't really think so, but a few of my Christian friends don't see anything wrong with it. :S

I have prayed about it and feel that it not something that God would necessarily approve of. When I asked my cousin, who I have always respected and considered to be a good role model as a Christian, I was told that it isn't wrong at all.

I'm feeling a little uncertain and confused. These days, peer pressure is often a driving force for partaking in many activities, which is unfortunate but true. Does anyone have an answer/opinion?

It really depends on what "clubbing" is to you.

Jesus "party'ed" and had fun... I suspect He even danced and sang music.

Now Jesus never sinned - we know that. So He did not dress inappropriatley, He did not lust after someone and He did not get drunk.

So it all depends on your actions.

You can party without sinning.

Upvote 0

Beautiful Fireball

Tomorrow is another day
Apr 30, 2006
✟30,245.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I see nothing wrong with clubbing. I rarely go to clubs but when I do I go to have a good time with my friends. You can still be ok in a club just as long as you are aware of what you are doing. I dance with my friends, but rarely do I dance with some random guy, and I really am not into the way that most guys in clubs dance so that doesn't even last too long.

BUT, if you feel that you have been convicted not to go then that is totally fine. I think this is a subjective issue. I don't see a problem with it for me, but I am not going to make a blanket statement and say that all clubbing is not sinful.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I went to a state university and had plenty of opportunities if I wanted to go- there was 5 bars in town. I never went to any of them in 4 1/2 years. I don't think a christian should. For most guys in particular a club is a place to try and pick up girls or get drunk.

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

MY SISTER,

WWJD?

Somehow, i can't see Jesus and His 12 Disciples clubbing in Jerusalem on a Saturday night! i think perhaps Christians have better things to do with their time.

ephraim

Upvote 0

stonewalljon

Jan 17, 2006
Ottawa
✟8,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think the idea of a club is wrong, it is full of drinking, and people trying to hook up, and deffinatly not God-glorifying dancing....

Just think abou it, i think there is an obvious right answer...

There is nothing wrong with dancing, but there is difference between dancing and clubbing..

Jon

Upvote 0

soulsearching1

Veteran
Jul 13, 2006
DC area
✟16,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You can go clubbing and not get drunk, dress like a total tramp or flirt with guys. The whole "everyone else is doing it around me" is a poor excuse to totally write it off. If you have that little self-control, then don't go. But my girlfriends and I went clubbing a lot because we like to dance - plain and simple. And we'd usually leave the boyfriend at home, if we had one. And even if I was single, there's no way I would pick up a guy at a club- most single guys at clubs (who aren't there with female friends) are skeezy and trying to pick up women, and aren't the kinds of guys I'd want to date. I never went in a short skirt or a belly-baring top. Usually black pants and a tank, only because it gets very hot when you are dancing. We never got drunk because drinks at clubs are expensive and you can't dance if you're wasted.

So yeah, you can go to a club and not "sin".

Reactions: live4grace
Upvote 0

live4grace

Feb 19, 2005
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟16,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
soulsearching1 nailed it - WHY are you going to the club? If it's pure friendship (with other believers it's called "fellowship"), then I'd say it's ok. But you have to watch how you represent Jesus in these places. This is not to put a heavy trip on you, but your life is the only Bible some will ever read.

Now WWJD? I believe Jesus WOULD go to clubs - not to party but to reach, teach and heal those who society has discarded and who most desperately need God. And (gasp) He would even have a glass of wine, but never get drunk or fall into the partying lifestyle.

But ministry doesn't sound like it's even in your consideration, so again, I'd pray about why you're doing this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I
was told that it isn't wrong at all.

It is not "wrong" to go, it is just that when you do you put yourself in a terrible place of temptation. Most people who go are young, and immature. Why on earth would you go to a smokefilled public place, pay three x the cost of a drink, likely a cover charge to sit with a bunch of strangers most of whom do not share your values at all? The answer is loneliness.

There is a void in their lives that they are trying to fill with people and booze. They have not yet realized these things will not fill their voids. As they grow older, most stop going (you usually don't see alot of middle aged people in clubs). It is not a matter of right/wrong, its just poor judgement to set yourself up to fail. It's like not ever saving money or running your car all the way to "e" before getting gas, it's just not the smart thing to do.

Others are just curious and later they will understand why they say curiosity killed the cat. It can be dangerous. Would you walk into a room with a bunch of kindergarten aged children holding loaded guns? Well how about a bunch of 18-25 year olds loaded with hormones, booze and even drugs, one can not predict the outcome, but the odds are that at some point, someone will get drunk, start a fight, end up w/STD's, a DUI or worse. the question is not why not, but why?

Upvote 0

rita727

Jul 29, 2006
A Pineapple under the Sea
✟24,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It really depends on what "clubbing" is to you.

Jesus "party'ed" and had fun... I suspect He even danced and sang music.

Now Jesus never sinned - we know that. So He did not dress inappropriatley, He did not lust after someone and He did not get drunk.

So it all depends on your actions.

You can party without sinning.
:amen:

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I am always concerned when Christians seem to be able to be comfortable in the atmosphere of the ungodly.

For me it is always the same Christians who don't seem to enjoy church and the preached word of God and the worship of God who enjoy clubbing and pubbing.

A friend of ours used to go regularly and I told her that it would lead to problems. She is now a single mother. We still love her and we love her baby, but she has lost a lot through clubbing.

I would go with your heart, not your peers.

Cheers,
|ZZ|

Upvote 0

artcool

Apr 5, 2007
✟15,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
soulsearching1 nailed it - WHY are you going to the club? If it's pure friendship (with other believers it's called "fellowship"), then I'd say it's ok. But you have to watch how you represent Jesus in these places. This is not to put a heavy trip on you, but your life is the only Bible some will ever read.

Thankyou very much for your input (and to everyone else ~ I've found every post helpful, so thanks heaps). It is greatly appreciated :)

The primary reason or motive for me if I were to visit a club would be purely to have fun with friends, most certainly not to get drunk/flirt/exhibit ungodly behaviour - my friends are responsible people as well, and probably wouldn't go to such extremes (I hope). Only a minority of them are Christian, however, so I wouldn't regard the event as taking on the form of "fellowship" as such. . . I think I agree that it depends on what you do there that determines whether or not it meets God's approval. I hope and pray that the Christians I know who do go to this event act in the right way.

Your statement that I may be one of the only Bibles people will ever read had an impact on me. I've definitely resolved to take on a more Christ-like character particularly around my non-Christian friends. I don't think a club would be the ideal atmosphere to do so, though (as Zzub pointed out). Plus, the whole smoke/alcohol/noise factor in fact has little appeal to me. I'd probably be more likely to (and I will endeavour to) represent Christ better in other places.

Thankyou once again for clarifying this issue for me !

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thankyou very much for your input (and to everyone else ~ I've found every post helpful, so thanks heaps). It is greatly appreciated :)

The primary reason or motive for me if I were to visit a club would be purely to have fun with friends, most certainly not to get drunk/flirt/exhibit ungodly behaviour - my friends are responsible people as well, and probably wouldn't go to such extremes (I hope). Only a minority of them are Christian, however, so I wouldn't regard the event as taking on the form of "fellowship" as such. . . I think I agree that it depends on what you do there that determines whether or not it meets God's approval. I hope and pray that the Christians I know who do go to this event act in the right way.

Your statement that I may be one of the only Bibles people will ever read had an impact on me. I've definitely resolved to take on a more Christ-like character particularly around my non-Christian friends. I don't think a club would be the ideal atmosphere to do so, though (as Zzub pointed out). Plus, the whole smoke/alcohol/noise factor in fact has little appeal to me. I'd probably be more likely to (and I will endeavour to) represent Christ better in other places.

Thankyou once again for clarifying this issue for me !
Always remember not to get unequally yoked with unbelievers.

You are only young once, and any choice and decision you will make will either have a negative or positive experience.

Now, I guess the club you are going to visit promotes alcohol, drugs, sex, and darkness.

You believe that your ears, eyes, and heart will be filled with the love of our Lord Jesus Christ that the light will shine brightly that the kingdom of darkness in that club will flee, and will not touch you whatsoever.

I am sorry my dear brother in Christ, it's time that you had a spiritual reality check in who you are in our Lord Jesus Christ.

So you believe that you and your few friends are going to have a great time with 200 possibly not so nice ungodly people. And at the same time you are promoting their ungodly business.

Just say, that you and your friends are entering the club, and just say some people from you church who have much respect for you are passing by the club in their car and they see you. I wonder what they would think?

Just say that some other young member of your church who is struggling with such things that you and your friends condone, and just say that young member of your church respects you and your advice to help him, and they see you walking into that club. I wonder what they would think?

Just say that you pastor see you as well.

You see my dear brother in Christ, it all appears so harmless, but do you think the forces of darkness think it all harmless. They are smiling with glee.

I reckon you should all take a reall good look at what you are about to do, because it's not as harmless as you believe, because you are opening yourself up to whatever Satan and his forces will throw at you.

Now, I'm not some just old fuddy duddy, it just so happens I may know a lot more about these sorts of things when over the many years when I've watched other young Christians in doubt, and they listen to others who lack any knowledge or understanding of the kingdom of darkness.

As I said before it's your choice and decision. And as one person said, "What would Jesus DO?"

I know what I would do?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TracyNC31

Apr 3, 2007
✟15,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I couldn't have said it any better than Elijah, that was wonder ful advice! :amen:

It's very hard to be a Christian when your around all of those sinfull things, in a bar, and that's all there is at those places, sorry to say it, but it's completely true, there is nothing Godly at all in a bar, and he would not want you there. Those places will only bring you down, trust me, I used to go to them alll the time years ago, did absolutely nothing for my life, or most importantly living right for God, the way he wanted me to.

They don't hold revival's at a beer joint, with women half naked or sleazy dressed, and everyone dancing dirty, which most of the time is how they dance, at least they did ten years ago when I used to go, I can only imagine how they dance now. :eek: If you were to ask a friend from church to go to a bar with you,who was a "true" Christian, what do you think his or her answer would be? Another name for a bar, is Satan's playground, because he is at everyone of them, having a blast!

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thought this was interesting -
------------------------------------------------------
Dear Word Detective: I am a member of a club (that is, an association). My club has a logo with a picture of a club (bludgeoning tool) in it. My dictionary lists both meanings of "club" under one heading, so it appears that it's no coincidence that we use this term for both meanings. What is the connection between them? -- Dan Robrish, Philadelphia.

Hmm. I'm not much of a joiner, myself, and haven't actually belonged to anything more organized than a roving band of malcontents since I resigned from the Cub Scouts. I don't know how I ever ended up in an organization that put so much emphasis on going outside (which I strenuously endeavor to avoid) in the first place.

It does seem a bit odd that our term for a friendly association of like-minded people would be connected to the word for a thick stick used as a weapon, but that's the wild and wacky English language for you. The original sense of "club" was "a heavy stick or staff used as a weapon," specifically one that, while relatively slender at the grasping end, becomes quite a bit thicker and heavier at the business end, a feature whose importance will become apparent in a moment. "Club" first appeared in print in English in the 13th century, most likely borrowed from the Old Norse "klubba," which also has descendants in several other European languages.

Shortly after the noun form of "club" appeared in English we developed a verb form, "to club," which meant, of course, to hit someone with a club. But by the early 17th century "to club" was also being used to mean "to create something shaped like the thick end of a club," specifically to arrange one's hair into a "club-shaped" knot atop or behind one's head. From this sense derived "to club" meaning "to form into one body or mass" or "to gather or force together" ("London … is equal to half a dozen great towns clubbed together," James Payn,1884). By the late 17th century, "club" was being used in its modern sense of "association of like-minded persons meeting periodically." Interestingly enough, one of the distinctive aspects of early "clubs" was the practice of "clubbing," or sharing, the expenses of the group's meetings.
------------------------------------------------------

" to gather or force together "

Sounds like it can be a bit coercive in nature .

wm

Upvote 0

chi_rho

Apr 22, 2006
Down under ~ Brisbane
✟7,749.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Democrats
Well from my experiance. .. If I go clubbing I also drink/ and or do drugs, peer presure gets the best of me. So I'm amazed when I meet a christian who can go clubbing without getting into that stuff and even not 'dancing promiscuously'. ..actually I havn't met one yet lol :thumbsup:

Thing is that is what clubbing was made for - drinking, dancing dirty, doing drugs and hitting on the oppersite sex. If you wanted to just dance you could do it at home or with your friends anywhere really lol.

Anyhow that was my public opinion bahaha
cha ching

Upvote 0

artcool

Apr 5, 2007
✟15,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Always remember not to get unequally yoked with unbelievers.

You are only young once, and any choice and decision you will make will either have a negative or positive experience.

Now, I guess the club you are going to visit promotes alcohol, drugs, sex, and darkness.

You believe that your ears, eyes, and heart will be filled with the love of our Lord Jesus Christ that the light will shine brightly that the kingdom of darkness in that club will flee, and will not touch you whatsoever.

I am sorry my dear brother in Christ, it's time that you had a spiritual reality check in who you are in our Lord Jesus Christ.

So you believe that you and your few friends are going to have a great time with 200 possibly not so nice ungodly people. And at the same time you are promoting their ungodly business.

Just say, that you and your friends are entering the club, and just say some people from you church who have much respect for you are passing by the club in their car and they see you. I wonder what they would think?

Just say that some other young member of your church who is struggling with such things that you and your friends condone, and just say that young member of your church respects you and your advice to help him, and they see you walking into that club. I wonder what they would think?

Just say that you pastor see you as well.

You see my dear brother in Christ, it all appears so harmless, but do you think the forces of darkness think it all harmless. They are smiling with glee.

I reckon you should all take a reall good look at what you are about to do, because it's not as harmless as you believe, because you are opening yourself up to whatever Satan and his forces will throw at you.

Now, I'm not some just old fuddy duddy, it just so happens I may know a lot more about these sorts of things when over the many years when I've watched other young Christians in doubt, and they listen to others who lack any knowledge or understanding of the kingdom of darkness.

As I said before it's your choice and decision. And as one person said, "What would Jesus DO?"

I know what I would do?
Hmm, I think that perhaps you only read the first part of my post. In the final paragraph, I was concluding that I've decided against entering a clubbing environment :)

Anyhow, thankyou for your advice- it was very instrumental in reaffirming my position !

chi_rho: hey ~ we seem to have a bit in common - I'm 19 and in Australia, too! But yeah, just an opinion I'd like to share: it is far more empowering to resist peer pressure than to give in. It's important to stand your ground and you'll be more capable of avoiding potential future complications regarding alcoholism, drug addictions etc. Be smart - don't do things you might regret later. Not that I'm speaking from experience, but I guess that's a good thing, right? ^^ vbmenu_register("postmenu_33721455", true);

Upvote 0