Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, attempting to that would be an unhealthy, I'll kind of faith and that has been, as Christian history has shown to be, very true.
The uniqueness of a church's style can be splendid, as long as His gospel message is not contaminated along the way by developed practices or teachings. IMO.

I once knew a woman who was a Jehovahs Witness, and she devoted almost all of her time proclaiming that the Catholic Church was the 'bad girl' of Babylon. Her entire faith purpose revolved around the the Catholic Church, to the point that nothing else mattered.

...It was sad because without Catholicism to combat, her faith held no other purpose.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I once knew a woman who was a Jehovahs Witness, and she devoted almost all of her time proclaiming that the Catholic Church was the 'bad girl' of Babylon. Her entire faith purpose revolved around the the Catholic Church, to the point that nothing else mattered.

...It was sad because without Catholicism to combat, her faith held no other purpose.

I agree. I have encountered people like her who get so entirely fixated on some sort of conspiracy theory that they lose any semblance of a real life.

Upvote 0

Placemat

Jun 16, 2021
Kingston
✟36,570.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That is sad, but considering what her faith was based in/on to begin with it should come as no surprise.

Upvote 0

Placemat

Jun 16, 2021
Kingston
✟36,570.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure what you mean by "adding to it" but you seem to think that the Bible is the only authoritative rule of faith for a Christian. That is, only the Bible can be the source of anything that is to be authoritatively believed by a Christian.

One obvious problem with that is that the Bible itself does not teach that it is the only authoritative rule of faith for a Christian. In fact, the Bible itself plainly contradicts that belief:

So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter.
So, if a person teaches that only the Bible is the source of anything that is to believed by a Christian, he in fact contradicts the Bible itself.

I believe that the Bible is the best source for testing any church's teachings/practices and other Christian writings against, as is truly inerrant by the nature of its inspiration.

Upvote 0

Placemat

Jun 16, 2021
Kingston
✟36,570.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I think the Catholic usage is more consistent with Sacred Scripture than the vague "church" that many other Christians use. If you look in the Bible, the "church" described in the New Testament has bishops, priests, and deacons, just like the Catholic Church does. The "church" described in the bible has a structure that is similar to the Catholic Church. It doesn't refer just to any Tom, Dick, or Harry who calls himself Christian.
The 'titles' may be similar, but there is much more written, describing what the criteria is to hold those positions/offices. There are non-Catholic churches that also use those 'titles' - Bishops, Deacons - and have a structure that is also similar to what is found in scripture.
As to whom He calls to be used, that's up to Him, look what He did with Saul (Paul)...who would have thought!

Upvote 0

Placemat

Jun 16, 2021
Kingston
✟36,570.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who determines what "His gospel message" is? Basically the situation is that "you" just read the Bible, interpret it, and then decide for yourself what "His gospel message" is, no? And anyone who disagrees with your interpretation has "added to it", no? Functionally, it seems to me that you are your own pope, no?

Can you not determine what His gospel message is from the Gospels that we are given in the Bible?

Many people have come to the Lord by doing just that, by their sincere searching (He knows our hearts and motivations) and by His grace have then gone on, moved by the Spirit to read and devour His whole word, seeking out a place of worship and further teaching....

Hebrews 4:12 KJV: For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

It is evident that I have hit a nerve and upset you to a point where you now are now 'name calling' and tossing unfounded personal accusations out. Feel free to dis-engage in discussions with me at any time.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The beauty of your position is that it relieves you of any responsibility before God concerning your beliefs.
No, this is false because every day I still have to make the choice to continue to be Catholic. I can either accept the truth that the Catholic Church teaches, or I can believe the falsehoods taught by different denominations or people, so ultimately I am still responsible for my choices.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The 'titles' may be similar, but there is much more written, describing what the criteria is to hold those positions/offices. There are non-Catholic churches that also use those 'titles' - Bishops, Deacons - and have a structure that is also similar to what is found in scripture.
As to whom He calls to be used, that's up to Him, look what He did with Saul (Paul)...who would have thought!
But you don't go to any church with any type of bishop, deacon, at all, no? Aren't you one of these "me and my Bible" folks who has "church service" on your sofa? If not, what denomination are you in? What church are you attending, who is your bishop and who is your deacon? Sure, one might make the argument that there are non-Catholic churches that have a general structure that is similar to what is described in the Bible (perhaps the Anglicans, for example) but that is still nothing like these what these "me and my Bible" Christians envision, which is essentially no church structure at all.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Can you not determine what His gospel message is from the Gospels that we are given in the Bible?
Well if we define it simply we need only read John 3:16. But most non-Catholics seem to have something else in mind when they say "His gospel message" and the particular definition of "His gospel message" varies widely from person-to-person. What is your definition?

Many people have come to the Lord by doing just that, by their sincere searching (He knows our hearts and motivations) and by His grace have then gone on, moved by the Spirit to read and devour His whole word, seeking out a place of worship and further teaching....
Sure. The fundamental truths that a person needs to know to be saved can be discerned from the Bible, if that is what you mean.

At the same time, if it is so easy as picking up the Bible and discerning the truth, one wonders why there is so-much variation in belief among Christians. Why do some protestants pick up the Bible and determine that Baptism is not-necessary, and other protestants pick up the Bible and determine that Baptism is necessary, if they are all moved by the Holy Spirit? Is the Holy Spirit prompting different Christians to believe different things, or is it that the Holy Spirit only prompts you, and does not prompt the other Christians who disagree with you?

It is evident that I have hit a nerve and upset you to a point where you now are now 'name calling' and tossing unfounded personal accusations out. Feel free to dis-engage in discussions with me at any time.
Well its not like I called your mother a harlot. I indicated that your decision making appears to make you your own personal equivalent of the Catholic pope, and that still appears to be the case. The only religious authority higher than yourself is Sacred Scripture and God himself, correct? If so, then that makes you the rough equivalent of the pope. Do you have a bishop, a pastor, a deacon, who has religious authority over you? If so, who?

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I believe that the Bible is the best source for testing any church's teachings/practices and other Christian writings against, as is truly inerrant by the nature of its inspiration.
Well I don't disagree with that per se, but ultimately it will always come back to your own personal interpretation of what the Bible means. Two different people can read the same exact Bible. Person A determines that Church A's teachings are consistent with the Bible. Person B determines that Church's A's teachings are inconsistent with the Bible. So ultimately it just comes down to your own personal interpretation of what the Bible means, rather than the Bible itself, if many cases.

And that is one reason why our Lord Jesus founded a Church, of which the gates of hell shall not prevail, and which is the pillar and foundation of the truth. When A and B have a disagreement, they can go to the Church, founded by Jesus, and of which He is the head, and through which the Holy Spirit operates, to guide A and B into the truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
No, this is false because every day I still have to make the choice to continue to be Catholic. I can either accept the truth that the Catholic Church teaches, or I can believe the falsehoods taught by different denominations or people, so ultimately I am still responsible for my choices.

Not in the least, unless you are not a baptized Catholic. Once a person is baptized in the Catholic Church he remains a Catholic for the remainder of his life barring any untoward developments such as excommunication (which, today, is rarer than hen's teeth). Millions and millions of European Catholics will never darken the doorway of a Catholic Church after their baptism as infants, but will be, and are, claimed by the Catholic Church among its flock.

Thus, you are a Catholic and are not culpable for the beliefs of the RCC. You don't need to do anything or believe anything in order to be considered a Catholic. However, if you wish to shorten your tenure in Purgatory, the Catholic Church provides an excellent treadmill of religious deeds and good works which will enable you to do so.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not in the least, unless you are not a baptized Catholic. Once a person is baptized in the Catholic Church he remains a Catholic for the remainder of his life barring any untoward developments such as excommunication (which, today, is rarer than hen's teeth). Millions and millions of European Catholics will never darken the doorway of a Catholic Church after their baptism as infants, but will be, and are, claimed by the Catholic Church among its flock.

Thus, you are a Catholic and are not culpable for the beliefs of the RCC. You don't need to do anything or believe anything in order to be considered a Catholic.
Being considered Catholic by the Church does not lead to salvation. Choosing to believe what the Church teaches and living one's life accordingly leads to salvation, and the decision to believe and live one's life accordingly is something that the individual Catholic makes every single day of his life. So what you wrote is completely irrelevant.

And why don't you go and ask many of the ex-Catholics on this site if they are still Catholic merely because they have not been formally excommunicated by the Church? I'm sure they'll be more than happy to correct you and inform you that they are not Catholic.

However, if you wish to shorten your tenure in Purgatory, the Catholic Church provides an excellent treadmill of religious deeds and good works which will enable you to do so.
Well since we are running on treadmills now, I suggest that you run so that you may obtain the prize.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Being considered Catholic by the Church does not lead to salvation. Choosing to believe what the Church teaches and living one's life accordingly leads to salvation, and the decision to believe and live one's life accordingly is something that the individual Catholic makes every single day of his life. So what you wrote is completely irrelevant.

And why don't you go and ask many of the ex-Catholics on this site if they are still Catholic merely because they have not been formally excommunicated by the Church? I'm sure they'll be more than happy to correct you and inform you that they are not Catholic.

Well since we are running on treadmills now, I suggest that you run so that you may obtain the prize.

I never said that being Catholic leads to salvation and there are many who would assert that it actually leads to the opposite. I merely asserted that once a person is baptized a Catholic one remains a Catholic barring any unforeseen problems. Thus, it is entirely unnecessary for you to fret about whether or not you are actually Catholic.

Although a Catholic might not identify himself as such, in the eyes of the RCC he is still a Catholic, albeit a "lapsed" Catholic. Thus we frequently encounter advertisements from the RCC appealing to "lapsed" Catholics to "come home".

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As you stated so well in your 3rd paragraph, it is not always the traditions themselves, but the legalism that can be associated with such traditions. In these situations, it becomes more about keeping a law, than about faith in Christ. The good Samaritan is a prime example, the Pharisees were on their way to temple, and touching the poor guy who was beaten by thieves would have made them unclean; yet Christ holds the Samaritan who cared more for the injured man than for himself, and even paid to have him lodged during his recovery, in much higher esteem than he did the pious Jew who strives to keep the law.

Ultimately, the problem may not lie so much in the tradition itself, but rather the forensic treatment of holding and keeping those traditions. The real issue falls on the miss-placed exercise of authority.

I would agree with that.

When any mans position is not able to be validated by the written Word of God it is then to be rejected as it is then just an opinionIMHO.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

You said............
" Choosing to believe what the Church teaches and living one's life accordingly leads to salvation......".

Really?????

Do you not see the problem with what you just said?

Salvation has NOTHING to do with believing what the Church says!
The Church plays NO PART in the salvation of man. That is something that the church has told you and evidently you do not read what God said.

God said in Titus 3:5..........
"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost.

Ephesians 2:8-9......
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Salvation happens when a man confesses that Jesus Christ is the Lord, that He died and was raised from the dead 3 days later.

Then and only then does the church play a role and that role is in teaching that man who accepted Christ WHY he did it and grow him in faith and knowledge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I never said that being Catholic leads to salvation and there are many who would assert that it actually leads to the opposite. I merely asserted that once a person is baptized a Catholic one remains a Catholic barring any unforeseen problems. Thus, it is entirely unnecessary for you to fret about whether or not you are actually Catholic.

Although a Catholic might not identify himself as such, in the eyes of the RCC he is still a Catholic, albeit a "lapsed" Catholic. Thus we frequently encounter advertisements from the RCC appealing to "lapsed" Catholics to "come home".

Just to prove your point, it only take one a second to do the google search and find out that Adolf Hitler was born to Catholic parents, baptized and was confirmed in 1904.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not in the least, unless you are not a baptized Catholic. Once a person is baptized in the Catholic Church he remains a Catholic for the remainder of his life barring any untoward developments such as excommunication (which, today, is rarer than hen's teeth).
Millions and millions of European Catholics will never darken the doorway of a Catholic Church after their baptism as infants, but will be, and are, claimed by the Catholic Church among its flock.
But that's just what the Catholic Church says. And it's purely theoretical at that. Someone who leaves and joins a different church is aligning himself with that church and its beliefs, and that's all there is to it. Naturally, the Catholic Church will say, if questioned, that for him to do so was wrong in God's eyes.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Just to prove your point, it only take one a second to do the google search and find out that Adolf Hitler was born to Catholic parents, baptized and was confirmed in 1904.
a good example of what I just wrote in the previous post. Yes, Hitler was baptized as a child and raised as a Catholic, but he renounced the faith as a grown person and denounced Christianity altogether. The idea that somehow this cannot be done is not realistic.

And, by the way, it's not like excommunication, by which a Catholic is suspended from the sacraments but still is required--so long as he chooses to be a Catholic--to abide by the other dictates of the faith.

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
a good example of what I just wrote in the previous post. Yes, Hitler was baptized as a child and raised as a Catholic, but he renounced the faith as a grown person and denounced Christianity altogether. The idea that somehow this cannot be done is not realistic.

And, by the way, it's not like excommunication, by which a Catholic is suspended from the sacraments but still is required--so long as he chooses to be a Catholic--to abide by the other dictates of the faith.

Yes sir. My point was that the act of the RCC in saying that Hitler was a Catholic did not make him a Christian any more than me holding a baseball bat makes me Micky Mantle.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You said............
" Choosing to believe what the Church teaches and living one's life accordingly leads to salvation......".

Really?????

Do you not see the problem with what you just said?

Salvation has NOTHING to do with believing what the Church says!
The Church plays NO PART in the salvation of man. That is something that the church has told you and evidently you do not read what God said.

God said in Titus 3:5..........
"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost.

Ephesians 2:8-9......
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Salvation happens when a man confesses that Jesus Christ is the Lord, that He died and was raised from the dead 3 days later.

Then and only then does the church play a role and that role is in teaching that man who accepted Christ WHY he did it and grow him in faith and knowledge.
Yeah I thought that somebody was gonna jump in and say something like that, without thinking first. The Catholic Church teaches that one needs to have faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, and we both agree about that. So we both agree that "choosing to believe what the Church teaches" leads to salvation at least insofar as the Church teaches the necessity of faith in our Lord. Have a nice day.

Upvote 0