Nov 23, 2013
✟30,996.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A thread to post what you think is your most ethically questionable view.

Mine: I am a strong supporter of the death penalty. I think all murderers should be given the death penalty, with no last supper, and a maximum of 5 years for appeals. I think repeat rape offenders and child rapists should also be killed. Illegal slave trafficking? Kill them. I

This is certainly ethically questionable given how many people are exonerated years after conviction. One man who was clearly not guilty and should never have been convicted wasn't exonerated for more than 20 years, after numerous failed appeals. I have as a lawyer seen too many sloppy cases to trust our country with the death penalty. If you have such a penalty well then everyone in the jury, the judges, the prosecutor, the police and anyone else who participated in it, should be executed if the convicted person was later found to be innocent. (Hyperbole, I know, but this is a serious issue).

Upvote 0

Rebecca12

Nov 23, 2013
✟30,996.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I honestly don't understand why America doesn't quarantine people with serious diseases like AIDS and gunk like that. The patient's constitutional rights mean precisely nothing to me. It's a matter of public health and they need to be removed from society for the public good.

Nah, just brand their forehead.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I hold no ethically questionable views. However, I am sure a number of people here would disagree and I may very well find their position ethically questionable.
Another person that never questions their own morality?

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nope. I certainly have. I cannot think of any position that I hold which is ethically suspect. I would find it immoral to hold such a position.
This thread is about ethical positions you hold, but frequently question. Or, barring that, the ethical view you hold that you personally question the most. Not having an ethical view that you yourself think is unethical.

Upvote 0

Rebecca12

Nov 23, 2013
✟30,996.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This thread is about ethical positions you hold, but frequently question. Or, barring that, the ethical view you hold that you personally question the most. Not having an ethical view that you yourself think is unethical.

You misunderstand. It is possible we are talking past each other, but what I mean is that I cannot hold any moral position that I question. At best, I have to take no position on the moral issue until all my questions are resolved to my satisfaction.

• Winner
Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Another person that never questions their own morality?

Again Sarah, as I explained to you, I question my opinions/beliefs/views/... constantly.
Your question wasn't if we question our views. Your question was if we hold views that we already see as questionable. That means we already did the exercise of questioning our own views, coming to the conclusion that one of those views isn't very ethical, and then still holding on to that view, eventhough you just concluded that it is ethically questionable / unjustified.

Who does that?

Who engages in self-reflection, concludes that one of their views is ethically unjustifed and.... and then simply holds on to said view?

What's the point of questioning your views, if you are not going to change them after concluding that they aren't justified?

I just don't get it....

Sounds an awfull lot like something a psychopath would do: hold views "just because" and not actually care wheter they are ethical or not.

• Winner
Reactions: Rebecca12
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

That's not what you told me earlier in the thread when I asked you for clarification.

This sounds an awfull lot like what I thought you meant: views that you know might be controversial. I have LOADS of those, obviously. Especially as an atheist, it isn't really hard to hold "controversial" views.

But you explicitly denied that and confirmed that you were talking about views that one holds while simultanously thinking they are not ethical.

• Agree
Reactions: Rebecca12
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Earatha

Feb 26, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
✟34,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My most ethically questionable view? That it is morally permissible to eat meat.

This comes from a cost-benefit analysis. I can't eat many plant based substitutes like soy. As such, if I don't eat meat I will get very sick and likely die. I'm not exaggerating this, at the very least I will get VERY sick.

I have been involved in killing and butchering. Sometimes the killing bothers me. The treatment of certain animals does bother me. I buy meat from local sources to encourage ethical animal raising.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Probably for many who are still living under gender roles (feminists and conservatives) that women should be treated as harshly as men are. That view is pretty much biological blaspheme though.. lol.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think representative democracy will ultimately fail...for many reasons but the primary reason being that people will elect leaders for the wrong reasons...like popularity. Once other popular but incompetent people realize they too can hold office, it will be a short and painful unraveling of western society.

The problem stems from the fact that the average person isn't smart enough to make decisions for the whole of society.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, the best way to end our racism problems that black people allege America has is to police black neighborhoods with black officers. Better yet, give them the authority to arrest black people--and do not extend that to white officers. That way if an arrest is made it can't possibly be considered "racial profiling". The only problem is we would need more black people in law enforcement. Also, this would likely be unconstitutional due to it making a distinction based on race. But I do think it would get rid of the feeling black people have that they are constantly being arrested--frankly as a white person I find it hard to believe and think it might just be exaggerated by the media. Regardless this would fix it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grandvizier1006

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think people who molest children should be chemically castrated while in prison, assuming they don't get life. They misused their sex drive so now they don't get to have one and won't be nearly as compelled to harm anyone else.

Also, I have no problem with water boarding terrorists. Gitmo can keep doing that, although I think we ought to have another one on US soil.

Upvote 0

Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Honestly, the best way to end our racism problems that black people allege America has is to police black neighborhoods with black officers. Better yet, give them the authority to arrest black people--and do not extend that to white officers. That way if an arrest is made it can't possibly be considered "racial profiling". The only problem is we would need more black people in law enforcement. Also, this would likely be unconstitutional due to it making a distinction based on race. But I do think it would get rid of the feeling black people have that they are constantly being arrested--frankly as a white person I find it hard to believe and think it might just be exaggerated by the media. Regardless this would fix it.
Out of curiosity -- if you're fine with creating an entirely separate black police apparatus to serve black communities, where do you draw the line on creating other parallel black government institutions?

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Out of curiosity -- if you're fine with creating an entirely separate black police apparatus to serve black communities, where do you draw the line on creating other parallel black government institutions?
I think only this would suffice. At best it would only be temporary until the BLM groups feel satisfied and don't feel like police officers are being racist against them.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think only this would suffice. At best it would only be temporary until the BLM groups feel satisfied and don't feel like police officers are being racist against them.

In other words, it would be permanent...

Upvote 0