USA
✟954,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would like to gain greater insight on Messianic Judaism and your journey to its embrace. What led you to this path and what have you gained since that time? Have you encountered challenges? If so, how did you overcome or reconcile them?

I appreciate your feedback.

Shalom,

~Bella

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi, let me ask a question to you first. What made you interested in learning about MJ? :)

Judaism was the avenue for my reconciliation with G-d. I would come to accept Christ as well. My experiences have been wholly Jewish. I have no experience with Messianic Judaism and desire to learn more.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟782,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My path took me to MJ also in a round about way. Several years ago I went through a personal crisis and at the time started listening to much anti-missionary material. I nearly lost my faith entirely and before coming to these forums started a conversion to Judaism course. However, at that time I also started listening and reading Messianic rebuttals from Beth Immanuel, First Fruits of Zion, and the people involved in those organizations (which are partly the same people). These audio series and books are well produced and well thought out and turned my faith back to belief that Yeshua was/is the Messiach. However, through this time I have swung from calling myself a "Messianic Judaism" follower to "Lutheran with Messianic beliefs". A primary issue is that where I live there are no Messianic communities that fit my beliefs or worship desires, and that is the case in MANY communities. These MJ synagogues work for many people, but they do not work for me. I tried SDA churches, but their theology just does not make sense to me, aside from their sabbaterian tendencies. At the same time, my heritage and faith journey took me through the RCC for around 10 years. When I left that church I started attending a Lutheran church, and the similar liturgy and a theology that is flexible enough to include my Messianic beliefs leaves me attending a Lutheran church most Sundays.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟782,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Judaism was the avenue for my reconciliation with G-d. I would come to accept Christ as well. My experiences have been wholly Jewish. I have no experience with Messianic Judaism and desire to learn more.

A good place to start, IMO, is with Beth Immanuel and First Fruits of Zion. They have a ton of free material and good books on the subject. At one time the organization FFOZ was a bit on the fringe, but over the last 5 or 6 years they have moved out of that bad direction. Beth Immanuel is a Messianic Synagogue in Wisconsin (near Minneapolis) that is on the lines of an Orthodox Jewish Synagogue, unlike most all MJ synagogues.
Beth Immanuel Messianic Synagogue
First Fruits of Zion

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

I am happy to hear you found your way home. HaShem is good. :)

A good place to start, IMO, is with Beth Immanuel and First Fruits of Zion. They have a ton of free material and good books on the subject. At one time the organization FFOZ was a bit on the fringe, but over the last 5 or 6 years they have moved out of that bad direction. Beth Immanuel is a Messianic Synagogue in Wisconsin (near Minneapolis) that is on the lines of an Orthodox Jewish Synagogue, unlike most all MJ synagogues.

Thank you for the recommendations. I don't believe the Messianic community is large in my area but I'm in walking distance to several synagogues and a Chabad House.

A primary issue is that where I live there are no Messianic communities that fit my beliefs or worship desires, and that is the case in MANY communities. These MJ synagogues work for many people, but they do not work for me.

I'm comfortable in Jewish settings and felt more at home in a synagogue than a church. I don't feel the same connection with the members or traditions. It was more head than heart. I would not expect a Messianic congregation to emulate a Jewish one. That seems strange in my mind. The worship and spirit should reflect the populace and the Holy Spirit's leading.

But in the same vain, I can't knowingly immerse myself in an Orthodox community in light of my beliefs. Although that is probably the best fit and I would be happiest with frum women with a similar disposition.

I'm honest about my experiences but the notion of remaining silent would disturb my spirit and lend a sense of deception that I can't embrace. That is a reflection of my respect for them and commitment to truth. Its not about me but what HaShem is doing through me for H-s glory.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I grew up in a Wesleyan and Pentecostal environment. My dad was a former Wesleyan Methodist pastor, my mom from was from a United Methodist church.

I never met anyone that I knew to be Jewish until I went to college. There were some Jews in my dorm - serious druggies. There were also a large number of Jews in the church I attended there, including a guy named Barry Segal. We were housemates and became good friends during my Junior year. He moved to Israel in 1981 and a few years later I moved to my home town.

In historically black denominations, there is often a matriarch (or several) who wield much of the power in the congregation, and they are addressed as "Mama." In our congregation we had Mama Etta Merideth. (even though we were NOT an exclusively black church) She took a tour of Israel and came back declaring the congregation "MUST" observe the "Feast of Tabernacles." No one had any idea of what that was. The first year was a bust. The 2nd year she (mama Etta) planned an elaborate festival with guest speakers and ran for several days. She had planned a dance routine and my wife wanted to be in on the dance team. Since we had only one vehicle, I had to drive her to the church building and then go pick her up afterward. One of the days the rehersal was running over and I got to hear the music they were dancing to. It was Barry Segal. Mama Etta had visited his store "Greetings from Jerusalem" and picked up a cassette tape. At that point, God grabbed me like somewhere deep inside my chest and said clearly "Go to MY people." I knew HE meant the Jews. So I looked and found out that in a nearby city (where I worked) there were 3 synagogues, Reform, Conservative and Yeshivite Orthodox. (black hats)
The Reform temple was closest so I started visiting there on Friday evenings. It was ok until I had a Saturday morning off and attended a Torah service, The drash was SO bad that I almost got up and walked out. I never went back. So I tried the Conservative synagogue which was not too much farther. (the Orthodox shul/yeshiva was way on the other side of town) I saw a flyer advertising a "Judaism 101" class which I immediately signed up for. My wife was getting rather skeptical but decided to sign up as well. So we found ourselves in the first term of that synagogue's official conversion class. We went thru the whole year-long curriculum, and many wondered if we were converting. (we were not and made that clear) We got to be good friends with the rabbi.

Things got increasingly uncomfortable with the congregation we were attending and it became increasingly clear we needed to move away. So in 1998 we packed up our home in Michigan and moved to the DC area to be part of the Messianic movement here.

========================
After joining a Messianic synagogue I got a look at a genealogy book published by relatives of my maternal maternal great grand mother. There were several Jewish (Sephardic) names mentioned but it was unclear where they actually fit in. (Poorly written book) About 5 years ago my youngest daughter decided to do DNA tests on many family members myself included. It turns out that on my dad’s side we are related to the Shapiro chassidic dynasty which was all but wiped out in WW2.

God led me to the Messianic movement due to a Jewish heritage on both sides of my family. Little did I know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,501.44
Faith
Messianic
My journey started with the Lord convicting me on Col 2:16-17. After much study, I was beginning to get an understanding of "the shadow of things to come"... and then found MJ here on CF... where I asked many questions.. and am still here today...

• Winner
Reactions: joymercy
Upvote 0